27 members have voted

1. 1. Let's vote!

• Swan Song
    • Flowers
    • Homeward
    • ef
    • Hanachirasu

This poll is closed to new votes

I finished ever17 and eden (reading spree, fuck yeah! ^^) over the weekend, so I haven't had any time to think on what to read next, left alone getting hyped for upcoming title.
Ya all know the rules.
Please write one or two sentences about why do you picked what you picked. ;)

1) Swan Song. Post apocalyptic, with interesting art, about psychological problems and very 'humane' characters? Sounds like my hype is aroung +3 to votes.
2) Flowers. Innocent Grey. I absolutely love the art, love Kara no Shoujo, (hate Cartagra, but this writter is not working with them anymore) and there is a yuri melodrama with some mysteries in background? Hopefully melodrama will be reasonable, and not typical vn 'mumbojumbo' dramas (Hoshimemo, ugh). Yeah, pretty much hype level +3.
3) Homeward. Because why not? I heard one route is depicting a horrible relationship, and this is something I've never seen in VN before. +1
4) ef I just finished eden and while didn't liked some things I absolutely LOVED the atmosphere. Somehow hoping for more of similiar thing. +1
5) Hanachirasu. Written by Muramasa writter short, action packed story about revenge in contemporary world with alternative history. Sounds awesome, but grades on vndb aren't as good. Hopefully quality wise Kikokugai levels or better. +2

Swan Song is good, I would recommend that most. Though, I seem to like it much more than most people, so take this with a grain of salt. I could just be crazy, but Flowers' melodrama drove me half insane, and it felt like a drag as a whole. Hanachirasu is worth a read, it's great but I think people like it less because of the sheer amount of time devoted to exposition and kendo. Still great as a whole. Can't comment on ef (still reading) and Homeward (haven't read yet).

Fucking Homeward, I have no idea why Samukun hates happy endings, perhaps a shelf of Disney movies killed his sister. That would explain allot, anyways I have a feeling that the space idol vn that he is working on will have at least one ending involving everyone getting space aids. Other than that, it is quite the amateur work which is charming in a way, but some cgs are really hard to look at.

I'm actually playing Flowers right now, the art is gorgeous as always with Innocent Grey, but the story.... well Innocent Grey has never been stellar in that field. The melodrama is okish for the most part, but there are elements of the mysteries that are complete bullshit. 

Ef is absolutely beautiful to look at, but filled with assholes (insert joke about Hollywood somewhere here). I couldn't give two fucks about anyone till I got to the last act, in which I did cry a little. It's like four moderately bad vn plot-lines where stapled on to one really good plot-line.

4 minutes ago, Soulless Watcher said:

Fucking Homeward, I have no idea why Samukun hates happy endings, perhaps a shelf of Disney movies killed his sister. That would explain allot, anyways I have a feeling that the space idol vn that he is working on will have at least one ending involving everyone getting space aids. Other than that, it is quite the amateur work which is charming in a way, but some cgs are really hard to look at.

I'm actually playing Flowers right now, the art is gorgeous as always with Innocent Grey, but the story.... well Innocent Grey has never been stellar in that field. The melodrama is okish for the most part, but there are elements of the mysteries that are complete bullshit. 

Ef is absolutely beautiful to look at, but filled with assholes (insert joke about Hollywood somewhere here). I couldn't give two fucks about anyone till I got to the last act, in which I did cry a little. It's like three moderately bad vn plot-lines where stapled on to one really good plot-line.

Yeah, I'm in the second "story arc" of ef and it's not exactly blowing me away. It's not intolerable (far from it), but it's definitely not up to par (hopefully it'll get a lot better?). I sort of do like the protagonists and Yuuko, though.

Ef is nice if you enjoyed the eden* atmosphere. I was in the same boat as you in the way that I read eden* and then was like "hey minori is pretty cool so let's read ef." Although I did like eden* ever so slightly more, but if eden* was enjoyable for you I'm sure ef will be too. It's set in a somewhat generic sort of high school setting but I found most of the characters to be well written. One bad thing about ef for me was that some of the routes are not as enjoyable as others. This is kind of bad in ef because it's a linear storyline and you have to read through every protagonist's/heroine's 'tale'. 

4 hours ago, Vorathiel said:

I still have Steins;Gate 0, almost all Key works and whole 07th Expansion to read. There will be gems. ^^

jeeeeeeesus fuck, and you're asking for other recommendations

get on Umineko like yesterday

that said I'm only partway through Swan Song and haven't even touched the others, but voted for that anyway, I kind of like it so far.

My suggestion? Guess I'll just go along with everyone else here, play Swan Song. It got quite dark atmosphere there if you prefer it, and the casts facing some sort of post very heavy disaster (Nearing apocalyptic). But maybe I'll try to give my word about the rest for the choice here (Except Homeward, because I find few info about that VN there. But of course you may try this later though).

1. ef - The first tale was like some sort of usual high school romance one (Such as triangle love), but I'd heard that latter tale was starting to get melodramatic and more bittersweet tone overall. You may as well pick it up later and try to endure the first tale if you didn't like it after first few hours (Oh, the art still beautiful by the way).
  2. Hanachirasu - I didn't play this yet, but maybe there will be some swordfighting there. The MC there was more of Villain Protagonist though, and looking from VNDB score you might as well don't expect this as good as Kikokugai (Although if you play this later maybe you'll find this VN good though).
  3. Flower - Even though this is from your favorite developer, this game was more on light hearted side (ie VERY toned down compared to work like Kara no Shoujo duology) and it has girl on girl romance. So, if you didn't like those two factors, maybe you shouldn't consider to play this (Although if you still want to try this go ahead though).

That's all for my opinion here, and hope it could help you even if it's only slightly.

2 hours ago, Funyarinpa said:

jeeeeeeesus fuck, and you're asking for other recommendations

get on Umineko like yesterday

that said I'm only partway through Swan Song and haven't even touched the others, but voted for that anyway, I kind of like it so far.

I'll start with 07th later, when I finish my 'already on disc' backlog. I'm still young, I have time. ;)

2 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

Swan Song is probably the most up your alley. I think you'll find the mysteries in Flowers more frustrating than anything; I considered them a negative to the game, not just because of my personal tastes but also because I felt they were often executed pretty poorly.

Huh. Thanks for warning.

Okay folks, case closed - Swan Song it is. Thanks for all your votes and posts, I would like them all, but I reached my limit (10 for a day). :)

I also voted for Swan Song (anyway, it's the only VN on this list that I have read xD) ... I only want to tell you one thing about Swan Song ... It has 2 endings and several bad endings (common sense during choices will help you avoid all of it, there's no way to get into a bad ending unless you intentionally want it) ... You can safely skip the second ending in my opinion xD Trust me, it's so out of place that you are going to start thinking "what the fuck" ... Other than that, this VN is amongst the 3 best VNs I have read so far, and if you decide to play the second ending - just forget it afterwards, it's basically fan-fiction, that's how I saw it.

First. Protag is coming to his house and literally narration says that every little piece of glass is broken.
Next line is protag pouring burbon on his wound. Yup, yup. A little inconsistency here I see. :P

Second. Winter. Cold. Blizzard. Emergency. Non sufficent clothes. Shelter. Cold, but at least there is no wind. All of them sit down on some big rag-blanket. AND THEY TAKE OF THEIR FUCKING SHOES. xD I love Japan. Sigh.

Third. Humane characters... yeah, right. 
6VoIney.png

FFS. But. I actually knew at least one person who was as bitchy as her (at least in her first scene), so yeah, she's 'realistic'. But they could have wrote story without most annoying archetype ever. But no, 'everybody loves tsundere'. 

Tsundere is basically same shit as netorare. 

I know this is not a thread for this, but I love to leting out my impressions about vns, and have no idea where to write it, without flooding 'What are you playing?' thread xD

3 hours ago, Vorathiel said:

I know this is not a thread for this, but I love to leting out my impressions about vns, and have no idea where to write it, without flooding 'What are you playing?' thread xD

Maybe you could necro VN Reading Club thread below if you like to post your thought. There's 2 threads for Swan Song, but I decided to chose the least amount of uncensored spoiler like the thread below.

Good luck on your playthrough for Swan Song

12 hours ago, Vorathiel said:

Third. Humane characters... yeah, right. 

Hibari is only featured as a part of the cast in the beginning, trust me, later on you are going to see her less and less xD Though I can tell you, for the so-called "humane" characters in Swan Song - I think it's a little overblown statement to call them all humane, I see many times people state that Swan Song has humane characters, which is true to some extent but if you really start to delve into it further, you are going to notice that there are some flaws, both in the characters and later on in the plot of the Swan Song itself. Though I do think that Swan Song does feature some rather nice situations and it can fall into a realistic category but you should be aware that basically all VNs are just fiction and some stories are more un-realistic than others. I generally enjoyed Swan Song for what it is and didn't bother about plot-holes and so on until I have read the entire VN.