Chrono Clock Sudden Kickstarter Announced

littleshogun

7 hours ago, Decay said:

The "anti-SP sentiment" is very heavily exaggerated by the crowd who believes that their insular and niche communities represent the whole of the visual novel fandom. When in reality the vast majority of VN fans and buyers exist outside of Fuwa, Reddit, 4chan, vndb, etc. At most they're lurkers, remaining silent because they have nothing to say on the matter.

Yep, pretty much, I have been backing Sekai Project Campaigns since their first Clannad campaign from November 2014, just putting in my pledge while not even putting in  comment or anything else and I am pretty sure it is the same for tons of people. Really don't see what there is to complain, you like VNs, well there are basicaly only 3 main publishers that bring in the games in a language that you can actually understand, from there you can choose to buy a product or not, however going on a crusade to crash and trash a company because that it is the hip thing to do in some obscure internet circles is quite revulsing and it makes you wonder what sort of "hardcore fans" would rather spend hundred of hours e-trolling Sekai Project instead of investing that time in playing VN.

Meanwhile the prodigious ChronoClock Campaign has reached 37,909 USD pledged (189% funded) 28 hours after it launched (with 28 das left), He! He! He! Haters can keep their salt.

9 hours ago, Nier said:

He shouldn't give the time of the day to these kind of shitposts but instead should grace them with his silence, it's better to just focus on answering genuine questions and ignore the rest.

That's how Tabata deals with the "Final Fantasy XV delay whiners":

To be fair, gracing people with 'silence' is one of the reasons why the previous President of Square Enix is gone, and the new President is embracing a much more transparent process. Because when everybody kept saying 'we don't want more FF13, we want FF15' and SE kept silent and kept giving the community FF13, and the sales of each version of FF13 kept declining and declining, along with their reputation, someone had to take the blame. Also telling people to 'wait patiently for FF15' since 2006 with zero information forthcoming is a nice way to tick off people. At the end of the day it's their business and they can run it how they like, but just saying they're moving away from silence and have been since 2013. That's why there's been a sudden flood of information about the new title, development process, and development problems.

EDIT: It's why the director is out giving information on why they needed to delay the game and such. Addressing concerns on places like Reddit is good PR.

1 hour ago, Nier said:

Meanwhile the prodigious ChronoClock Campaign has reached 37,909 USD pledged (189% funded) 28 hours after it launched (with 28 das left), He! He! He! Haters can keep their salt.

I don't think that's a great result, with base goals so low at least there are no risk of missing localizations.

3 hours ago, Nier said:

Yep, pretty much, I have been backing Sekai Project Campaigns since their first Clannad campaign from November 2014, just putting in my pledge while not even putting in  comment or anything else and I am pretty sure it is the same for tons of people. Really don't see what there is to complain, you like VNs, well there are basicaly only 3 main publishers that bring in the games in a language that you can actually understand, from there you can choose to buy a product or not, however going on a crusade to crash and trash a company because that it is the hip thing to do in some obscure internet circles is quite revulsing and it makes you wonder what sort of "hardcore fans" would rather spend hundred of hours e-trolling Sekai Project instead of investing that time in playing VN.

How much does SP and FW pay you to shill for them? I'm guessing a good amount since every post you make involves them. Not once have I seen you make a post that doesn't include you shilling for them.

6 hours ago, Nier said:

Let's wait and see. Let's wa-a-a-ait long enough, because waiting is the only necessary skill to be SP fan.

3 hours ago, yorikbad said:

Let's wait and see. Let's wa-a-a-ait long enough, because waiting is the only necessary skill to be SP fan.

That beats the necessary skill for any Nutaku fan: learning Japanese.  Not kidding.  I rewrote part of the in-game help section for Nutaku's Girls Kingdom, based on the Japanese wiki and my own independent research, because it was wholly inadequate and read like it was translated by an ESL student.  You'll notice because it's the part in English.

21 minutes ago, sanahtlig said:

That beats the necessary skill for any Nutaku fan: learning Japanese.  Not kidding.  I rewrote part of the in-game help section for Nutaku's Girls Kingdom, based on the Japanese wiki and my own independent research, because it was wholly inadequate and read like it was translated by an ESL student.  You'll notice because it's the part in English.

You know, it'd be funny if it wasn't... not... funny. But you're lucky to know Japanese, I'm still learning English.

Offtop: I really like you blog.

4 hours ago, finiteHP said:

They've now said what they mean by Nutaku exclusive.  It will be on Nutaku a month before Denpasoft.  A timed exclusive in other words.

Exclusive to Nutaku what does that mean?

It means the game will be on Nutaku exclusively for 1 month before it will be on Denpasoft.

Good.  Now I don't have a reason to complain anymore. 

If that's what they meant in the first place, then they need to buy a dictionary and look up the meaning of "exclusive".  It bugs me to no end when companies use the term "exclusive" when they don't really mean it.

• 2 weeks later...

While I agree an uncensored version is good news I do not think they meant it will be mosaic free. Sekai Project often misleads people into thinking one thing when they really mean the other and I'm not sure if it intentional or just poor wording but uncensored does not necessarily mean uncensored (no mosaics). Sekai Project previously stated that PurpleSoft had 'lost' the uncensored cgs for ChronoClock whereas we know Mangagamer has been able to get Hapymaher's with no issue. Sure some games might have them and others might not but I don't think we've seen one japanese game from Sekai Project that has been completely uncensored and without mosaics. Just something to bring up hopefully they have or will clarify a bit on what they mean. 

I don't plan to pick the game up unfortunately and it has less to do with censorship/mosaics/sekai project than it has to do with there are too many games (other vns and wrpgs/jrpgs) I have an interest in still for this and next year that I can't see myself putting money down for this. Maybe I'll purchase it in the further future.

2 minutes ago, kyrt said:

While I agree an uncensored version is good news I do not think they meant it will be mosaic free. Sekai Project often misleads people into thinking one thing when they really mean the other and I'm not sure if it intentional or just poor wording but uncensored does not necessarily mean uncensored (no mosaics). Sekai Project previously stated that PurpleSoft had 'lost' the uncensored cgs for ChronoClock whereas we know Mangagamer has been able to get Hapymaher's with no issue. Sure some games might have them and others might not but I don't think we've seen one japanese game from Sekai Project that has been completely uncensored and without mosaics. Just something to bring up hopefully they have or will clarify a bit on what they mean. 

I don't plan to pick the game up unfortunately and it has less to do with censorship/mosaics/sekai project than it has to do with there are too many games (other vns and wrpgs/jrpgs) I have an interest in still for this and next year that I can't see myself putting money down for this. Maybe I'll purchase it in the further future.

I just saw on the faq on the kickstarter that the "uncensored" version will still have mosaics.

To be fair, they never once used the word "uncensored." The exact quote on the issue is: "The Nutaku/Denpasoft digital and physical versions are the same version as sold in Japan just in English." I think they're pretty clear on what they mean.

I will admit I'm somewhat interested about what they have to say regarding mosaics, though. Not because it's a big deal for me, but because the only thing we have to go on is a comment on the Kickstarter saying Sekai Project responded to their question and said that the original assets were lost. Maybe they talked about it somewhere else and I didn't notice, but I don't think we have an official statement to go off of right now.

I do know that for the Ne no Kami campaign they got the artist to redraw the H-scenes, so it's not like it's impossible for Sekai Project to localize something without mosaics. It's probably unique for every partner. Who knows, though, maybe when they finally announce stretch goals one of them will be redrawn H-scenes (big maybe).

1 hour ago, RikiSanic said:

To be fair, they never once used the word "uncensored." The exact quote on the issue is: "The Nutaku/Denpasoft digital and physical versions are the same version as sold in Japan just in English." I think they're pretty clear on what they mean.

errm ... you may you look like 3 posts above yours at what nutaku had twittered, and yes, the essence of nutakus tweet is pretty much equivalent to what sekai means, simply because they did team up and are buiseness-partners in crime coming to said title. granted the term "uncensored" should most probably refer to rated18+/unrated, but that´s poorly, or abit missleadingly worded as kyrt did already state. and before getting accused of whatsnot, nah, i´m not fond of mosaic-free because freaking 95% of all assets keep on looking like freshly deflorated buttholes. + that recent trend towards most pointless and bland ero-dlc content is something i find to be loathsome, and not worthy of getting anyone´s support.

Eh, you're right. It's been ten days since anyone's posted in this thread so I forgot to see what kyrt might've been responding to. My point still stands that Sekai Project themselves have never called the Denpasoft version "uncensored" and that the Kickstarter page has been pretty clear as to what they're bringing over. It's best to refer to Sekai Project's marketing material for the most accurate information. Nutaku did call Baldr Sky "Baldr's Sky" in their blog post, after all.

1 hour ago, RikiSanic said:

Eh, you're right. It's been ten days since anyone's posted in this thread so I forgot to see what kyrt might've been responding to. My point still stands that Sekai Project themselves have never called the Denpasoft version "uncensored" and that the Kickstarter page has been pretty clear as to what they're bringing over. It's best to refer to Sekai Project's marketing material for the most accurate information. Nutaku did call Baldr Sky "Baldr's Sky" in their blog post, after all.

This.  Nutaku can't even keep track of their own games, much less someone else's.  Nutaku's PR is basically Peter Payne's worst impulses given free reign with no dedicated following to call him on it.

I asked Nutaku yesterday whether putative Baldr Sky or Maitetsu adult releases would be welcome in their store, despite their objectionable content.  Their PR person's response was something along the lines of "What about these titles is objectionable?"  We tend to forget that the rank-and-file employees of English localization companies aren't necessarily hardcore eroge fans like us.  They know as much about the genre and the wider scene as your typical fan knows about their business: i.e., not much.  That's why hardcore fans are a valuable asset to any company: they provide a wide and deep knowledge base that the company itself might lack.

Just wanna bump this since the Kickstarter will be closed in a few hours.

It's already financed with more than 80.000$ so there's nothing to worry about. But if someone is still interested in some limited edition stuff, then time is running out now.

Got the physical edition myself even if it's damn expensive. Though otherwise I would have probably bought the Japanese version which isn't that much cheaper. At least this one has the OST and even a drama CD included.

On 2016/9/1 at 8:52 AM, WinterfuryZX said:

I don't think that's a great result, with base goals so low at least there are no risk of missing localizations.

84,441 USD and going.

You were saying?

2 hours ago, ChaosRaven said:

Just wanna bump this since the Kickstarter will be closed in a few hours.

It's already financed with more than 80.000$ so there's nothing to worry about. But if someone is still interested in some limited edition stuff, then time is running out now.

Got the physical edition myself even if it's damn expensive. Though otherwise I would have probably bought the Japanese version which isn't that much cheaper. At least this one has the OST and even a drama CD included.

What tier did you get?

12 minutes ago, Rooke said:

Seems kickstarter fatigue wasn't as big a thing as people thought. People still seem willing to invest if the right project comes along.

$80k is well below most Kickstarter funding goals for professional VNs.  Libra of the Vampire Princess, probably a "similar tier" title, pulled in $180k, and most of SP's other Kickstarter campaigns attracted more funding too.

My guess is that only highly anticipated titles (Muv Luv series), novel and exciting partnerships (light), and companies with a rallying message (MiKandi JP) will succeed on Kickstarter (enough to cover all localization costs) going forward.

1 minute ago, sanahtlig said:

$80k is well below most Kickstarter funding goals for professional VNs.  Libra of the Vampire Princess, probably a "similar tier" title, pulled in $180k, and most of SP's other Kickstarter campaigns attracted more funding too.

Libra of the Vampire Princess was shoved down everybody's throats until they got their 180k. Most SP's other successful kickstarters were already famous with fan-translations available.

But that's beside the point. The point is that a certain segment of the community though Kickstarter was borderline dead, then here comes SP with a title few people know of and almost zero advertising easily topping 80k and will probably end up over 100k. That's significant, it shows that Kickstarter is still a very viable route for people to go down.

1 hour ago, Nier said:

What tier did you get?

Cheapest physical one.

8 minutes ago, Rooke said:

Seems kickstarter fatigue wasn't as big a thing as people thought. People still seem willing to invest if the right project comes along.

Still not that much compared to the times of Clannad and Grisaia when they could get almost half a million. (Granted, Grisaia was the whole trilogy...)

I'm extremely curious how the one for Dies Irae will go though. It's one of those rare over-hyped VN's that could very well mobilize a lot of backers.

Just now, ChaosRaven said:

Still not that much compared to the times of Clannad and Grisaia when they could get almost half a million. (Granted, Grisaia was the whole trilogy...)

That is true. But Grisaia didn't get much compared to Muv Luv, which topped a million. And Grisaia was funded in 2014, and Muv Luv in late 2015, which shows that if the planets align and Venus is in the right quadrant that I will get a Ferrari in the future :P 

Grisaia was a VN beloved by the community and translated by a person regarded as the top VN translator at the time. And are you really comparing the performance of Clannad, by Key with a successful anime and all, with little known Chrono Clock? xD