Re: Zero Visual Novel announced.

dfbreezy

So 5pb have announced That a visual novel adaptation of This year's best anime, Re;zero is currently in the works. There are still very few details but from what i read from crunchyroll news, the are going to be five routes and i doubt our beloved Rem-chan is getting a route for herself.

I know i'm definitely going to buy it... but what about you guys? What do you think?

I saw this on Reddit and I'm dumbfounded that it's getting so much attention there.

1. It's just been announced (it'll be quite a while until release)
  2. It'll be in Japanese, with only a small chance it'll be released in English
  3. There's no telling if the game will even be any good (visual novel adaptations of other source material tend to be inferior to the source material)

38 minutes ago, sanahtlig said:

(visual novel adaptations of other source material tend to be inferior to the source material)

But that's why they exist. We can end up with character that we like, and sometimes only in VNs we can receive some satisfaction, where anime does not pick any girl at the end. This can be considered as alternate dimension or spin-off. I don't remember any of those games that retold same story from source.

To put it simple OreImo LN/Anime < OreImo VN (Kuroneko and Ayase ftw). Nisekoi and Golden Time also considered as "good". So, why not hyped if you like source ?

1 minute ago, VLOCKUP said:

And it is currently the best anime after OPM.

This entire sentence is quite the spicy meme. Good one mate.

Honestly, I was gonna write this off as your typical shitty visual novel spin off (I have yet to play a visual novel based off an anime that's actually memorable and not a simple cash in), but due to 5pb being involved, I am actually sorta hopeful they do something interesting with the license. Only time will tell I guess.

5 minutes ago, VLOCKUP said:

And people is obviously excited of Best Girl Rem route. 5pb is either committing heresy or saving her for last.

I already despise the traditional route system, there's really no need to make a VN just to put some characters in the spotlight to follow the fanbase demand (basically, you're asking for fandisk-tier crap)...

43 minutes ago, sanahtlig said:

I saw this on Reddit and I'm dumbfounded that it's getting so much attention there.

1. It's just been announced
  2. It'll be in Japanese, with only a small chance it'll be released in English
  3. There's no telling if the game will even be any good (visual novel adaptations of other source material tend to be inferior to the source material)

As a realist i agree with you on those points. Negating point 3, point 2 is generally the biggest problem here. What's the point of it being released if we can't bloody hell read it?

Well we are a community here with fan translators as well. Maybe we could collaborate (i don't know the details of fan translation) if that's possible. In terms of funding, maybe crowdfunding..? Like i said i don't know the details, but if really turns out to be good maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea.

10 minutes ago, WinterfuryZX said:

I already despise the traditional route system, there's really no need to make a VN just to put some characters in the spotlight to follow the fanbase demand (basically, you're asking for fandisk-tier crap)...

Not really. Author already made a Rem spinoff novel with the focus is Rem X Subaru OTP and screw everyone else. So fanbase demand already happened :) But people would want more Rem fluff.

Sad thing is? With Re:Zero setting, any route will be non-canon. With plausible reason too. And author also like to try his hand on alternate story. Like Rem spinoff.

Despise route system? U wot mate? I guess you are more of linear story person.

17 minutes ago, ShinRaikdou said:

But that's why they exist. We can end up with character that we like, and sometimes only in VNs we can receive some satisfaction, where anime does not pick any girl at the end. This can be considered as alternate dimension or spin-off. I don't remember any of those games that retold same story from source.

To put it simple OreImo LN/Anime < OreImo VN (kuroneko and ayase ftw). Nisekoi and Golden Time also considered as "good". So, why not hyped if you like source ?

In theory you are correct, however in practice it falls apart. There is a reason that VN adaptations are blander than a bowel of grits. The author never intended for certain heroines to end up with the protagonist, so once one of these plops out they have to torture the poor source material to fit into the mold. The original structured plot, with all the twists and turns that made the source material interesting, gets torn out and replaced with something easily malleable to fit the possibilities of the protagonist ending up with the other heroines. Which usually ends up being pretty boring, because why come up with new interesting plots when people are going to buy it for the waifus anyways? 

I would personally just wait for the doujins to come out, it's cheaper, you don't get bored out of your skull, and there will be actual boneing at the end of it. 

Although this entire discussion is probably mute as I bet this will be a vita exclusive, which has zero chance of being localized in the west.

2 minutes ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

What? even if the story is good, subaru is a shit-tier protag, that won't work on a VN.

I don't know how Subaru is shit, considering he is one of those male protagonists who are not one dimensional bland with actual character development. Cringy, yes. Definitely since the author made him to be that way for humane reason.

He does work as a VN protag since in the anime, he did consider himself as a chosen one before facing the true reality.

1 minute ago, VLOCKUP said:

I don't know how Subaru is shit, considering he is one of those male protagonists who are not one dimensional bland with actual character development. Cringy, yes. Definitely since the author made him to be that way for humane reason.

He does work as a VN protag since in the anime, he did consider himself as a chosen one before facing the true reality.

Yeh yeh, he's not bland therefore he is good.

I'm not even going to continue.

And we know it, the author is the new Anno, everything he does is perfect and if you don't think so you're a scrub hater, i get it. 

Just now, VLOCKUP said:

Who is Anno? And I don't even call you a hater ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Everyone is entitled to have their opinion after all.

And I don't call Re:Zero a perfect story but it is a good one.

You may be the very first comment about Re;Zero i actually enjoy...

Nah, the second actually. :holo: 

But you said it, subaru is not bland, he has a pretty fixed persona, and for a VN, it's not the best thing, unless you make a kinetic novel, but then, i really don't find any use for this VN, unless those butthurt that subaru took the very illogical decision to try to sodomize the elf girl. :holo: 

9 minutes ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

You may be the very first comment about Re;Zero i actually enjoy...

Nah, the second actually. :holo: 

But you said it, subaru is not bland, he has a pretty fixed persona, and for a VN, it's not the best thing, unless you make a kinetic novel, but then, i really don't find any use for this VN, unless those butthurt that subaru took the very illogical decision to try to sodomize the elf girl. :holo: 

Vegeta, what does the scouter say about Kurisu's hater level?

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAANNNDDD!!!

WHAT?!? NINE THOUSAND?

Mh, i'm not going to look well if i keep up like this.

so, let's talk about the possible localization of the game or a possible PC Vers.

I think a PC vers is...not sure it'll be possible, it'll highly depends if this is just a cash-grabbing VN or not.

Mh, was gonna say something, don't forget, in the VN world, bland generic protags are really rare, unless you talk about shitty VNs, so yes, subaru's gonna lose in that battle, but that's not a problem, our hearts belong to Rem. :holo: 

30 minutes ago, VLOCKUP said:

Despise route system? U wot mate? I guess you are more of linear story person.

No, I like change of POV based route systems, Machi, 428, i/o, eve burst error, route double, remember11, time travelers, desire, etc.

Traditional route system a la clannad are only dispersive, I can't say I like them.

29 minutes ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

But you said it, subaru is not bland, he has a pretty fixed persona, and for a VN, it's not the best thing

17 minutes ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

don't forget, in the VN world, bland generic protags are really rare, unless you talk about shitty VNs, so yes, subaru's gonna lose in that battle

What are you even trying to say?

Generic protagonists are the standard in VNs, most of which ultimately are escapist waifu fantasies (the reason why most VNs have multiple routes that focus on one of several love interests).  The protagonist is simply a vessel for the player to interact with the world, and thus too strong a personality could rebuff players who can't easily get behind a character with a fundamentally different personality than their own.  Thus we end up with generic "blank slate" protagonists who are mostly defined by their interactions with other characters and by the events that transpire.