Hugo Award Finalists

Darklord Rooke

It's the Hugo awards. Let's see what extra-ordinary pieces are up to win this year. Well, let me randomly pick 3 pieces to examine:

Nominated for best short story is ... Space Raptor, Butt Invader:

Space can be a lonely place, especially when you’re stationed by yourself on the distant planet Zorbus. In fact, Lance isn’t quite sure that can last the whole year before his shuttle pod arrives, but when a mysterious visitor appears at Lance’s terraforming station, he quickly realizes that he might not be so alone after all. 

Soon enough, Lance becomes close with this mysterious new astronaut, a velociraptor. Together, they form an unlikely duo, which quickly begins to cross the boundaries of friendship into something much, much more sensual. 

It’s not gay if it’s a man and a dinosaur, is it? 

This erotic tale is 4,100 words of sizzling human on gay dinosaur action, including anal, blowjobs, rough sex, and space raptor love.

But that's not all, because under related works we have the thoughtful (and by thoughtful, I really mean retarded) piece titled SJWs Always Lie. 

And to round out our trilogy for today, we have My Little Pony nominated for best dramatic works.

I'm really not sure what's been going with the Hugo's over the past couple of years, but it's pretty amusing to see such a venerated and prestigious award reduced to such meaningless and idiocy. And when I mean amusing, I mean how a prestigious organisation, all tux, wine, and cigars are able to nominate such garbage with not only a straight face, but I imagine an expression of intellectual superiority. 

The more banal conclusion is the Hugo's time is done, it's meaningless now, time to move on.

26 minutes ago, Rooke said:

I'm really not sure what's been going with the Hugo's over the past couple of years

It's been going on the same thing that has been going on in the "gaming" community those last few years, because it reveals issues that are endemic to "geek" culture as a whole, despite all the people who want to believe that "it's just a few assholes on the internet".

http://www.newstatesman.com/culture/2015/04/how-hugo-awards-got-very-own-gamergate

These awards shows are often stupid and people care about them far too much. See: both "sad puppies" and the backlash against "sad puppies" then the backlash against that backlash and the resulting backlash against the fourth(?) backlash. The internet has become a shithole in recent years, it really has. Why can't we all just enjoy what we want to enjoy and leave each other alone?

16 minutes ago, Omega_93 said:

These awards shows are often stupid and people care about them far too much. See: both "sad puppies" and the backlash against "sad puppies" then the backlash against that backlash and the resulting backlash against the fourth(?) backlash. The internet has become a shithole in recent years, it really has. Why can't we all just enjoy what we want to enjoy and leave each other alone?

But if I let you enjoy the things you enjoy my e-penis won't feel good. :(

High school English taught me that most well-regarded books aren't actually enjoyable to read. Despite the insistence of my elders, I don't see how a story as uninspiring and boring as Hamlet, to pick a title, could be so highly regarded. Honestly, these awards where people who "know better" (Lol) decide what books are the best have always seemed foolish to me. Their accuracy at determining my appreciation of the material is incredibly low (I liked maybe 15% of the books I read in high school, and only one of them enough to recommend it). So I'm glad that it's going down the tubes in a more obvious way. Good riddance.

In sum: people have shit taste. :3 

Most awards became a sad parody of what they used to be before. I do not care anymore after they gave best novel to Harry Potter, it became a stupid joke like any third-rate novel you name - and it got Hugo. Like that shit named Paladin of Souls by Bujold..