Long time lurker reveals itself!

Kaykeiokay

It's probably long overdue, but here it goes! Hello everyone! I've been lurking the main Fuwa site for years now obsessively checking fan translation statuses, and December of last year I made an account on the forums thinking I'd totally join the community only for me to end up lurking even harder. hehehehe.........My anti-social tendencies are far too strong. :yumiko:

My first visual novel was Fate/Stay Night, waaaaay back in 2009. To be honest what guided me to visual novels was the shitty DEEN adaptation, the wasted potential of the series bothered me deeply. How could they set up this interesting premise and barely scratch the surface of that potential? (The me of 2009 would've loved Fate/zero) My bothered self then read some reviews on MAL to validate my impression on the series, through that action I learned that the source of the narrative was something called a "visual novel". With that knowledge, and few Google searches later I had Fate setup on my shit Windows ME. The Fate route didn't really impress me much since I had just finished the anime days earlier, but once I got to UBW that's when things got interesting. The premise wasn't built upon in the way I expected, but I felt that it didn't necessarily have to because what it built up to was very satisfying and entertaining in its own special way.

Those moments where the script, visuals, and music all came together, got me absolutely hooked on visual novels as a whole. Even though, these moments always seem to be buried in heaps of slice-of-life fluff. I've been reading them ever since and loosely following the fan translation scene. I must say watching this fandom grow and flourish, has warmed my cynical heart. Back in 2009 I couldn't even imagine some titles getting official releases, let alone them raising hundreds of thousands of dollars through crowd funding alone.(Proud contributor to the Clannad, MuvLuv, and Double Root kickstarters)  Such short turnaround from original Japanese release to English release would've been a dream back then when waiting years (2+ at least) for translation was the norm. ( I waited 6 years for that Hollow Ataraxia translation, it's a miracle it came out at all really.) There are probably people here that have been into this much much longer that can easily recall scarcer times and that alone earns my respect, because your foundation allowed many others to experience this medium that otherwise would've faded into obscurity. Man, I'm already sucking up to my senpai and I haven't even legit talked to any of you yet. :wahaha:

If I set them up properly, feel free to look into my scrub levels. :rimu:

If not here are links to profiles, where you can proceed to judge me in every way, shape, or form.

MAL: http://myanimelist.net/profile/Kaykeiokay

VNDB: https://vndb.org/u48090

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaykeiokay

I'm also a video game collector and it seems like quite a few of you are gamers too, so I'll just leave my Grouvee account here. https://www.grouvee.com/user/kaykeiokay/

I'm open to recommendations from absolutely any genre (okay, maybe not hardcore loli. I don't wanna go to jail) , so GIVE ME YOUR WORST!

Oh yeah, Call me Kay if someone already claimed that then call me Kei. Okay?

29 minutes ago, Kaykeiokay said:

I'm also a video game collector and it seems like quite a few of you are gamers too, so I'll just leave my Grouvee account here. https://www.grouvee.com/user/kaykeiokay/

I'm open to recommendations from absolutely any genre (okay, maybe not hardcore loli. I don't wanna go to jail) , so GIVE ME YOUR WORST!

First of all: Welcome to Fuwa, glad you decided to join us after "lurking" around :sacchan:.

Now onto the important stuff! I see that you've already played Cartagra which is a great start, taking that into consideration I'd say go for: Kara no Shoujo and Kara no Shoujo Episode 2  Which are the follow ups to Cartagra, that way you'll have the complete story so far!.

Also I'll give you something like this: Euphoria and one of my personal favorites: Coμ - Kuroi Ryuu to Yasashii Oukoku - and a something more moe for good measure : Princess Evangile.

If you need any more recommendations I have no problem naming a few more :sachi: 

Hope you enjoy then if you decide to play then and once again Welcome to Fuwa

Ps: We all suffer waiting for translations...that's why I'm learning Japanese (it's the way to go so you don't have to depend on anyone else) :sachi:

Have a great time with us here on Fuwa and best of luck.

Edit: Forgot to give you some comedy: Maji de Watashi ni Koishinasai! and it's sequel Maji de Watashi ni Koishinasai! S, I'll stop now...I swear :komari:

35 minutes ago, DarkZedge said:

I'd say go for: Kara no Shoujo and Kara no Shoujo Episode 2  Which are the follow ups to Cartagra, that way you'll have the complete story so far!.

Also I'll give you something like this: Euphoria and one of my personal favorites: Coμ - Kuroi Ryuu to Yasashii Oukoku - and a something more moe for good measure : Princess Evangile.

Thanks for the welcome DarkZedge!

I actually started both Kara no Shoujo and Comyu, but I randomly stopped reading both. Thinking back I probably didn't have the motivation at the time to commit to finishing a longer novel. I've heard great things about both of them, so I should really dive back into at least one of them.

I've been batting eyelashes with Euphoria since a few months before it was announced to be localized. Maybe it's finally time I break down and buy it instead of being such a tease.:wahaha:

Knowledge of the Japanese language would definitely be a plus, but at the same time I'm unsure if I'll be able to reach the proficiency to read the more complicated VNs that I'm bound to be attracted to. Of course, you don't know till you try, so I may be capable if I just put the effort in. Until then I can be patient and wait for translations, which has become much more bearable in the past few years, not including JAST though their stuff still takes forever.

Just now, Kaykeiokay said:

Thanks for the welcome DarkZedge!

I actually started both Kara no Shoujo and Comyu, but I randomly stopped reading both. Thinking back I probably didn't have the motivation at the time to commit to finishing a longer novel. I've heard great things about both of them, so I should really dive back into at least one of them.

I've been batting eyelashes with Euphoria since a few months before it was announced to be localized. Maybe it's finally time I break down and buy it instead of being such a tease.:wahaha:

Knowledge of the Japanese language would definitely be a plus, but at the same time I'm unsure if I'll be able to reach the proficiency to read the more complicated VNs that I'm bound to be attracted to. Of course, you don't know till you try, so I may be capable if I just put the effort in. Until then I can be patient and wait for translations, which has become much more bearable in the past few years, not including JAST though their stuff still takes forever.

Well I'd say go for it if you got your motivation back, I'm sure you won't be dissapointed with them, also don't feel bad...I wasn't sure at first either about diving into Euphoria, it's not an easy one.

As for the Japanese subject there's no doubt that it's not easy to learn and reach a level where you'd be confortable reading untranslated visual novels (depending on the difficulty of course) but it's a reality that a lot of the best  Vn's don't get translated and some are even likely to never be, there fore I found that if I want to read them anyways I'd have to be the one to adapt and learn their lenguage to do so. All in All it's worth it if you like/love vn's and it may be useful knowledge in the future aswell.

I've been waiting for some translations for a long while now aswell and also seen other projects get started then die out which is always sad to witness.

Welcome to Fuwanovel and hope you enjoy your stay here (Once again I know it's very cliche word). Speaking about the VN Translation history was quite interesting and also to follow it of course. As for lurker, I'd also a lurker and made an account back at the end of 2014. But I'd just more active recently here.

As for recommendation, I'd just give the link to 2 videos in regard of VN. Here's top 20 favorite VN video by Erik (Maybe obsolete though, and only Aiyoku no Eustia still untranslated) and here's top translated VN of 2015 by Conjueror. Oh, for more recommendation, how about Dracu Riot (Only 10% left untranslated), Tokyo Babel, ToHeart 2, Eiyuu Senki, and Dengeki Stryker (Cho version was more preferable). Almost forgot, there's a thread of recommended VN here, created by one of 'Elite Four of Fuwanovel (Actually global mod, but I think this is more fancy word)' Kaguya. Note that you may already read some of the VN, but hope it'll be help you to find your next VN (Well you said give me your worst, so I'd give all of the recommendations above. Note that the recommendation list may overlapping with each other there).

Anyway, once again welcome and have fun here, Kay.

Welcome, Kay! You've read a lot more and been around a lot longer than I, but I'll toss out a couple recommendations anyway, because why not :wahaha:

Given your VNDB ratings, I'll second two earlier nominations and add one more:

• Comyu - a lot of people don't go for the first route much, so it may take some time to warm up for you. It's got a couple truly excellent routes, though, and in particular the last route gets near-universal acclaim, which I think is well-deserved. It's my pick for most underrated VN on VNDB, although it's quite popular around Fuwa.
  • both Gahkthun and Inganock - I see you didn't like Sharnoth all that much, but I can personally attest that Gahkthun is way more readable than Inganock, and from what I hear Inganock is way more pleasant to read than Sharnoth. Both are wonderful, and surprisingly different, both from each other and from every other VN I've read. Inganock especially is a nice pick for when you need a change of pace and are up for something a little heavy (not dark, really, but heavy).

Also, your ratings remind me once again that I really need to get to Ayakashibito, and Ever17, and Remember11, and... sigh. So much to read. What a good problem to have.

9 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:
  • both Gahkthun and Inganock - I see you didn't like Sharnoth all that much, but I can personally attest that Gahkthun is way more readable than Inganock, and from what I hear Inganock is way more pleasant to read than Sharnoth. Both are wonderful, and surprisingly different, both from each other and from every other VN I've read. Inganock especially is a nice pick for when you need a change of pace and are up for something a little heavy (not dark, really, but heavy).

Also, your ratings remind me once again that I really need to get to Ayakashibito, and Ever17, and Remember11, and... sigh. So much to read. What a good problem to have.

Recommendations are always welcome, there's always the possibility that I neglected something that is actually pretty great. ^_^

I kinda have a love hate relationship with Sharnoth, it was definitely interesting but I couldn't really invest myself into any of the characters. Plus knowing that the translation style that Ixrec uses kinda ruins the poetic structure of the originals is kinda a downer. I really wish that iambic pentameter conversion project of either Sharnoth/Inganock (I can't remember which one it was.) successfully finished, comparing the two would be very interesting. I'm not sure if Gahkthun has the same structure or not, though. Did Mangagamer's translation take on a more poetic style?

Also do Inganock and Gahkthun have minigames that block progression as well? I loved the one in Sharnoth despite how anger inducing it can be. It kinda bothered me that bonus cgs were locked behind your performance in the minigame, it's hard enough to clear them normally.

I definitely recommend those 3. Ayakashibito is a super solid chuuni title. Ever17 has the most amazing twist when you reach the true route, but previous routes are a little bloated with slice-of-life. (All of those damn chicken sandwiches!) As for Remember11, Its probably one of the most solid experiences as a whole, but its ending is far from great.

Thank you everyone for you warm welcomes! I look forward to talking to you all more in the forums! All of the recommendations so far have been jotted down, now I'll sit here and ponder which one I should play first. I'm must admit though when I wrote "give me your worst", I expected someone would give whatever is the boku no pico equivalent of the visual novel community. Awwwww you're all just too sweet!:sachi:

YOOOOOO! Nashetania, I think I love you already!:sacchan:

Hows that part 4 treating you?:illya:

koestl's Gahkthun translation for MG is widely held in extremely high regard; you shouldn't be disappointed there. Inganock, well, as you obviously know, it's also Ixrec... I personally wasn't bothered by it, but I think my standards for what I'll consume happily are pretty low. I've definitely found I enjoy a good translation more, but I don't really notice a bad one unless it's got Engrish or grammar/typography errors, and sometimes I'll even put up with that sometimes (KonoSora...).

Both Inganock and Gahkthun have a mini-game of sorts. Gahkthun's is basically just a choice or two per chapter that you either get right or wrong, and it's usually immediately clear whether or not you'll be able to progress. No problem at all, no guide or anything needed.

Inganock's mini-game is much more involved and frustrating - I quickly resorted to a guide (which I easily found on gamefaqs, IIRC) since I couldn't detect any rhyme or reason to how I "ought" to be choosing. Normally following a guide for a VN in any way bothers me, but since this is clearly a side part and just provides some (very nice) background information for flavor, it didn't bother me.

31 minutes ago, Nashetania said:

Always good to see a person who watches JoJo

Aaaaaah part 4 has had a promising start so far. The new ending is like my favorite thing, its not what I expected but it turns out its exactly what I wanted.:mare:

Now I NEED someone to do Duwang subs for this.

15 hours ago, Kaykeiokay said:

'Kay.

I recommend Tokyo Babel. If you liked the battles in F/SN this has some cool stuff in that vein, a v. good translation, and the comedy isn't actually too bad either (and not overused too much). The setting is fascinating, based on Christian mythology - Hell has been flooded, Heaven's closed its gates and the few angels and demons left alive are left struggling to stay alive inside a floating cube of sorts. The only way to (maybe) fix the solution is to travel up inside the toward the top, but everyone - demons, angels, and humans alike - that's tried has gone insane, and furthermore then become "bosses" of each of the 7 layers to go through, trying to kill anyone heading upwards themselves.

42 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

Inganock's mini-game is much more involved and frustrating - I quickly resorted to a guide (which I easily found on gamefaqs, IIRC) since I couldn't detect any rhyme or reason to how I "ought" to be choosing. Normally following a guide for a VN in any way bothers me, but since this is clearly a side part and just provides some (very nice) background information for flavor, it didn't bother me.

Good to hear that Gahkthun's translation is quality material; that's definitely a point in its favor. I normally have pretty low standards for translation as well (We're lucky to get a translation at all with most VNs) , but the steam punk series is kinda an exception for me since I've heard the originals have such great writing.

Don't be down on yourself for using a guide, sometimes the frustration just isn't worth it and can sour your experience in an otherwise great VN. I remember there was a VN where I was presented with 2 choices and both choices led to a bad end; it totally baffled me I was sure I made the correct choices leading up to this but no matter what I did it led to that bad end. After hours of frustration I caved and looked at a guide, the solution was to simply not choose anything now this would be fine is this concept was introduced earlier, but that particular choice was the only one. (BULLSHIT)

Welcome to the forums. I used to be like you, always checking up on TL statuses until I made an account and spammed my way to 1000 posts. Of course, I haven't been playing VNs as long as you have.

I'd recommend Tokyo Babel as well. I've only played the first route, but I think it's some pretty good chuuni unlike Gahkthun.

I hope to see you around. :sachi:

Welcome to the fuwa, nice to meet ya Kay, things worth having aren't easy to obtain but that's part of the fun, right.:wafuu:

Looks to me you've been into VNs for a very long time, I gotta give you props for sticking it out for so long man. Still a seedling to VNs so i've still got much to learn.

Hope to bump into you on occasion and see how you're doing, keep up the good work and here's some moe.

Spoiler

Hilda-pokemon-players-34215608-500-538.j