VN Reading Club - April 2016 (Imouto Paradise!)

Kosakyun

April 2016 Waifu Poll  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who is best imouto?

• Aya
    • Hiyori
    • Koharu
    • Michika
    • Rio

This poll is closed to new votes

I've so far read maybe four or five scenes with Aya. God help me, I will now write serious critique of ImoPara.

• The main conceit here is, obviously, the younger sister taboo. But somehow the way it's played out renders the taboo uninteresting - the fact that literally every character we ever see (or at least that I've seen so far) is 100% on board with subverting the taboo renders it less powerful, and thus less appealing. And it might even be fine if we were just talking two characters, and nobody else was even aware of the situation, but here it's literally everybody, totally cool with incest. All the casual conversations, everything. Incest is ... boring? First time I've had that exact thought.
  • The fact that all the females share insane devotion to the main character, right out of the gate, actually kind of bugs me. Maybe this is normal for a fairly vanilla nukige (again, so far; admittedly I've only seen a little bit of the game)? Even the tsundere is clearly incredibly dere from the moment you see her.
  • This is probably going to sound ridiculous, but there's not enough of a story here. It's a nukige, fine, but that doesn't mean it can't have at least something happening. I'll point to Ultimate Boob Wars as a good example. It has a little story, which is mostly pretty stupid, but it's not ashamed to run with that story, and it's self-aware enough to turn its stupidity to its advantage for humor value. On the other hand, it's definitely possible to go too far with putting a game behind the nukige - I think of Beat Blades Haruka as a nukige, but it wasn't a very successful one for me, because it had too much gameplay under the hood. This one has the opposite problem (not in terms of gameplay, in this case, but in terms of story). Some middle ground between BBH and ImoPara is probably the right place to aim for, at least for it to work better for me; Ultimate Boob Wars is about right.
  • I'm hard-pressed to think of something it does well. Umm. Aya and Michika are kind of cute? The rest of the characters aren't especially interesting to me. I don't especially care for the art, so that's not helping any.

I'm probably going to put this one down after grinding my way (so to speak) through Aya's route. All things considered, I'd rather be "reading" Ultimate Boob Wars. It's got a perfectly good imouto - in fact, a way better one than you'll find in ImoPara. I'll take quality over quantity.

Are you on Aya route yet, or do you have still choices between every scene? Agree about 'making incest boring' argument. There is no point to that, they made incest just an excuse for harem, where every girl have some feelings for protag from the start.

And you will laugh to this post you just wrote, after you start read Michika route.

Not really a spoiler.

Spoiler

Michika is just pure, unlikable evil. :wahaha: I would put her on same shelf with Rika from Euphoria.

4 hours ago, Vorathiel said:

Are you on Aya route yet, or do you have still choices between every scene?

Still have choices. I'm finding it hard to spend much time with this...

4 hours ago, Vorathiel said:

And you will laugh to this post you just wrote, after you start read Michika route.

Not really a spoiler.

Reveal hidden contents

Michika is just pure, unlikable evil. :wahaha: I would put her on same shelf with Rika from Euphoria.

Spoiler

Yeah, I haven't picked her even once yet (actually, haven't picked anybody but Aya), but it's kind of obvious that I should expect S&M there.

She's still cute :mare:

I haven't gotten too far because of a number of reasons, but I've done the bulk of Koharu's route. Considering what the game is, I have been really enjoying it so far. 

There isn't much story in there, obviously, but the characters all have their own small unique traits, the art is really nice and well... the scenes are ... yum. :illya: 

Overall, I like it. 

It was probably a good idea to have no expectations for the game at all, as I think the extreme lack of any story could be dissapointing, like Fred pointed out. But with it being a nukige and all, I really don't care about that. 

Best girl, Koharu no doubt. 

Will be able to say something more detailed later as I get further into the game. ...(Or maybe not, because there is nothing else to say ... we'll see. :sacchan: ) 

10 minutes ago, Dergonu said:

Best girl, Koharu no doubt. 

Well, after reading my first route I didn't want to read anything else, because non of the other girls were ineresting to me. But in each route (Michika is exception) they really grow on me. So don't go with 'no doubt', cause it might have change.
F.e. I really don't like tsuns, but Rio in her route was realy likeable. ^^

Just now, Vorathiel said:

Well ,after reading my first route I didn't want to read anything else, because non of the other girls were ineresting to me, but in each route (Michika is exception) they really grow on me. So don't go with 'no doubt', cause it might have change.
F.e. I really don't like tsuns, but Rio in her route was realy likeable. ^^

Well I'll see if it changes, but I doubt any of the others will be able to do so. 

Koharu is just too damn awesome :makina: 

If someone could do it, it would be Rio though. Just have to wait and see once I get to her route :illya: 

I haven't even started with the game, lmao.

But I'll quote Fred on something interesting he said.

On 4/17/2016 at 7:56 AM, Fred the Barber said:
  • The main conceit here is, obviously, the younger sister taboo. But somehow the way it's played out renders the taboo uninteresting - the fact that literally every character we ever see (or at least that I've seen so far) is 100% on board with subverting the taboo renders it less powerful, and thus less appealing. And it might even be fine if we were just talking two characters, and nobody else was even aware of the situation, but here it's literally everybody, totally cool with incest. All the casual conversations, everything. Incest is ... boring? First time I've had that exact thought.

This is a very legit thought about incest-themed games. The main attraction for these games is that this type of romance is taboo. Taboo things make the interaction very exciting, since the thought of it being something that's not allowed but still being done is pleasing, I guess. That's why people keep doing things they shouldn't be doing, imo. Other than mental problems or anything that might influence their course of action, of course. I'll just say that if the sex in the game is good enough to make up for that 'lack of being taboo' that Fred pointed out, then it'll still be enjoyable for me. I tend to have low standards for H-scenes, so heh.

But it really is more interesting if some of the girls are against it at the start.

A major part of the attraction of incest to me is the fact that it's someone you live with and thus already know well and are already comfortable around.

That also increases the chance of exciting things happening, like casual conversations straying into sexual territory and walking in on someone masturbating

Anyway, Koharu best girl as well, I thought the story itself was pretty boring, but some of the H-scenes really knew how to build up tension for me, so that's a plus. Also, ejaculation countdowns ftw

Hmm when I read these types of games I don't really want it to be considered absolute taboo and all that. It becomes a bit annoying, always having someone try to push the characters apart. 

Let them love each other if they want to! 8)

(I should be president of the world or something. It would end so well.) 

Finishing Hiyori route, and the drama here once again quite standard, involving some kind of jealousy and Hiyori feel she couldn't grow up (Well, this is moe nukige so no need to had complicated character drama here). And for the seiyuu there's no much credit other than she was voicing Mizuhara Touko back in Kara no Shoujo. For her scenes, it was involving her masturbating and embarrassment. And the last scene before ending was involving her having sex with Onii-chan in front of door (By the way, Hiyori like to call MC onii-chan) and find out by other 4 imouto. I think that's all I could comment for Hiyori's route. Oh by the way compared to Koharu Hiyori was quite shy and easily cried, also quite naive by believing that masturbate would made her into adult.

For next route, let's see if I could write my thought about Michika here later. Oh, I saw Michika first scene and it involved MC was tied up in the bed.

3 hours ago, littleshogun said:

Finishing Hiyori route, and the drama here once again quite standard, involving some kind of jealousy and Hiyori feel she couldn't grow up (Well, this is moe nukige so no need to had complicated character drama here). And for the seiyuu there's no much credit other than she was voicing Mizuhara Touko back in Kara no Shoujo. For her scenes, it was involving her masturbating and embarrassment. And the last scene before ending was involving her having sex with Onii-chan in front of door (By the way, Hiyori like to call MC onii-chan) and find out by other 4 imouto. I think that's all I could comment for Hiyori's route. Oh by the way compared to Koharu Hiyori was quite shy and easily cried, also quite naive by believing that masturbate would made her into adult.

I really liked that route, but I was doing a lot of 'in my mind' additional stuff. And all of this felt to me like nice story of brainwashing/mindbreaking of innocent child. It was great. :holo:

Finishing Michika route. For Michika, she was quite less talkative compared to Koharu, her hobby is reading the book (Trusted or untrusted) and she was quite knowledgeable about sex. Oh, she was call MC Nii-sama (Although by she called MC politely didn't stop her to dominate MC though). For the seiyuu, she voiced by Nakaya Shiho who voiced Fianna in Romanesque, Ruriko in Evangile, and Ashoka in Eiyuu Senki.

My comment on the route is that the scene was involving female domination (Femdom) and S&M. This route bring me two 'what' moment, the first would be Michika using strap-on to anally rape MC and the second would be the ending. The drama was once again involved jealousy from the heroine in regard of MC treatment to other imouto (Don't tell me it'll be all the drama for all Imopara route), although the way Michika deal with that was scary (It was related to my first 'what' moment).

Oh, Michika was also forbid MC to masturbate for 10 days (Well, technically no ejaculate, but still), and I think it's the time when I want to said that MC here is the most horny MC I'd ever seen in any nukige. I mean, what's wrong with no masturbation for 10 days, are you like dog in heat that you always get erection very easily (No wonder Michika treat you like a dog). Don't tell me that he masturbate every day. Well, I think I could only comment that MC capability to get horny was seriously unbelievable (Although maybe it's normal for nukige), although for femdom fan Michika route will be a treat.

For next time, I'll go with Rio's route, and finally Aya's route. As for harem's route, well I don't know if I'll play it.

• 3 weeks later...

Finishing Rio's route, and I think compared to Michika's route it was much more better. The drama was not usual jealousy (Well, although there is though), but more like Rio was too shy to let everyone knew that she and MC are lover. As for Rio, she was quite reliable to handling her sisters problem, quite selfless at that (She need to delay her date with MC several time) and she was quite tsundere, also she was quite couldn't take the joke. For MC here, I think he was quite usual clueless one, but he was more reasonable here compared to back at Michika route. Also MC here like to tease Rio in regard of pubic hair (And still pervert), causing Rio to mad at her Aniki (Oh, Rio called MC Aniki). For her scenes, it was involving XXXjob (Handjob and footjob were the example) and Rio's seiyuu was quite experienced. The name was Ogura Yui and her role was Himiko in Eiyuu Senki, Eika in Ikikoi, Yui in Flyable Heart, Maple in Nekopara, and Kagami in Subahibi. Anyone, once again as of now I think the best route in Imopara would be Rio's route for now.

As of now, for next route I'll play Aya's route. I'll try to write my comment about Aya's route here later. I think I'll not play harem route though.

PS - Oh, by the way I kind of a bit surprised when Rio called MC by his default name (Souichirou), because usually all of imouto only called MC by the variation of the word that mean older brother.

Edited by littleshogun

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, last route on Imouto Paradise (And I'll not play harem route) which this time we'll see the romance between Aya and her Nii-san (It was her call to MC here). For the seiyuu, Aya was voiced by Yukimura Toa who also voiced Palamedes back in Eiyuu Senki and Karen in curently translated Libra the Vampire Princess. For her scenes, well it's quite normal compared  to XXXjob back at Rio's route, femdom back at Michika route, humiliation back at Hiyori's route and sex in public back at Koharu's route. By normal I mean only blowjob, anal, and usual sex (Although Aya choose anal as her first sex though). Oh, and by the way all sisters had started their sex career by masturbating lol.

For Aya herself, she was quite skillful at household, especially cooking but bad at handling technology (There's a scene when Aya managed to broke the TV until her nii-san fix by changing the setting). She also love all of her fellow imouto and MC of course. For the conflict, I think this is the only route when they acknowledge the incest was taboo in society and MC himself realize that, so he decided that he'll try to distance himself from Aya if possible. But of course, since they already became lover it was harder than said if they distanced each other (And when Aya jealous, she decided to tease MC in the bathroom). And since MC already became lover with Aya, there's no problem in regard of MC cluelessness about her love iirc (Or it was toned down compared to previous routes). Although they tried their best to keep it secret, in the end all of other 4 imouto knew that though. They decided to agree with MC and Aya relationship just like in every route (Well, actually every imouto accept their older brother relationship with one of them except back at Michika route), and after that MC and Aya had sex for whole days.

Okay, for nukige, I think it was nice and once again the animation was good (Also it had interesting ejaculation countdown feature). In regard of scenario, since according to VNDB this game had 3 writers, I suspect that one of them was main writer who write Aya and Rio route (Aya because it managed to add incest taboo, while Rio was had good chemistry between herself and MC), another one was femdom fan who write Michika route (And he made MC looks like very horny there, so much I renamed MC 'Hornyman' to express my insult there), and another one who write Koharu and Hiyori routes (Because the conflict was like 'my twin was better to you instead of me' thing). Well, VNDB didn't list what route they write anyway for each writer, so I'm free to speculate here I suppose (Of course I didn't knew which one is main writer there though). Other than that, couldn't comment much.

That's all for my experience in regard of Imouto Paradise. Sorry if it's very late here. Next I'll try to play Yumina (Actually replay though, since I played Yumina too back in 2013). I'll try to give the comment about Yumina in VN Reading Club May thread later.

Edited by littleshogun