Your Top 3 Visual Novels with Gameplay

mitchhamilton

1 hour ago, sanahtlig said:

Gameplay didn't dominate the mostly nonexistent story.  A lighthearted rape game.  This is a mess of contradictions!

It may sound like that but it isn't. I was able to finish the 'content' for all girls in one play-through. And this play-through for ALL girls was probably still faster than one play-through of Aselia for ONE girl which I didn't even finish because it was too grindy. The problem was that there was too much H-content instead of story, the gameplay parts were okay. But there was certainly more story there than in Haruka.

And I certainly don't have to explain you the difference between comedy rape and serious rape. I'm still not a big friend of it but the VN was far from serious and not all scenes were rape either. The only true villainous scenes where you get the extra monsters were optional and I didn't play those.

1 hour ago, ChaosRaven said:

It may sound like that but it isn't. I was able to finish the 'content' for all girls in one play-through. And this play-through for ALL girls was probably still faster than one play-through of Aselia for ONE girl which I didn't even finish because it was too grindy. The problem was that there was too much H-content instead of story, the gameplay parts were okay. But there was certainly more story there than in Haruka.

And I certainly don't have to explain you the difference between comedy rape and serious rape. I'm still not a big friend of it but the VN was far from serious and not all scenes were rape either. The only true villainous scenes where you get the extra monsters were optional and I didn't play those.

Demonion is short, yes.  What story was there was ok, but yeah the focus on sex was annoying.

Demonion is a rape nukige.  It's not comedy rape like Rance either.  Sure, it's not mindbreak fetish material, but it's hardly "lighthearted".  As I recall, each heroine's sex sequence started with a rape scene.  If you're cool with that, you'd be right at home with the Law routes of the Venus Blood series--which are generally regarded as tentacle rape games.

58 minutes ago, sanahtlig said:

Demonion is a rape nukige.  It's not comedy rape like Rance either.  Sure, it's not mindbreak fetish material, but it's hardly "lighthearted".  As I recall, each heroine's sex sequence started with a rape scene.  If you're cool with that, you'd be right at home with the Law routes of the Venus Blood series--which are generally regarded as tentacle rape games.

First, I didn't play so much VN's with gameplay yet and this one was simply still on the okayish side compared to the rest of the bunch. That hardly makes it one of my favorite VN's. And comedy rape is probably not the perfect word, calling it soft-rape would probably more accurate.

And now, let's consider the situation. The oh so evil demon lord is constantly attacked in his dungeon by the heroines who all intend to kill him. And what did he do? Instead of just killing them off what pretty much every human castle owner in the middle ages would have done, and what would also have been fully justified, he instead gives them just a hot round of sex where he even made sure with thorough foreplay that they are also enjoying themselves - and then just let them go. And the girls are so 'scared' of him after that, that they return almost immediately just to get another round of sex. And after several times he just asks if they don't just wanna join his harem to make things easier.

So they want to kill him and he just wants some good old fun in return. Sounds like a pretty nice guy to me. A human castle lord in the middle ages would have just tortured and killed them instead and put their head on a pole as a lesson for others. And those were the 'good' guys.

And I'm certainly not a Rance expert, but doesn't he actually conquer the territories of the girls with the intention to rape them?! Well, the demon lord in Demonion actually acts in self defense.

So this title is definitely miles away from something like a Black Lilith rape nukige. It's not even fetish heavy, most scenes are more on the vanilla side as long as you don't play the optional scenes. And the girls are enjoying it after some initial resistance. So yeah, for a 'rape-nukige' I definitely consider it a light hearted version of it.

There really aren't that many english options, tbh (at least in the strictest term of "gameplay".

1. Kamidori Alchemy Meister (terrible narrative, but decent gameplay and hscenes)

2. Yumina The Ethereal  (I found it engaging enough, and liked the characters. Though the "true end" was just ridiculous).

3. Artificial Academy 2 (yeah yeah, not really a VN - but you can get creative with personality mods and come up with your own story - kind of. :P) put in a ton of hours on this one.

Honorable mention: Utawarerumono - At another time, I would have ranked this number 1, but tbh it's a pretty easy game in hindsight. And the kinetic harem-style story bugged me. (though it still had some great feels)

I'd list Danganronpa , but I still haven't gotten around to buying it yet =/

1 hour ago, ChaosRaven said:

And now, let's consider the situation. The oh so evil demon lord is constantly attacked in his dungeon by the heroines who all intend to kill him. And what did he do? Instead of just killing them off what pretty much every human castle owner in the middle ages would have done, and what would also have been fully justified, he instead gives them just a hot round of sex where he even made sure with thorough foreplay that they are also enjoying themselves - and then just let them go. And the girls are so 'scared' of him after that, that they return almost immediately just to get another round of sex. And after several times he just asks if they don't just wanna join his harem to make things easier.

As I recall, you as the player have to go to considerable lengths to "trap" the heroines to prevent them from escaping--presumably to rape them silly until they join your side.  That's pretty evil lol.

I'm pleased however that you've been corrupted to the point that you staunchly defend the "virtue" of a game--a rape nukige--that you would've surely avoided on principle not 3 years ago.

11 hours ago, sanahtlig said:

Problems I encountered with Madou Koukaku's system:

1. Uneven difficulty.  The difficulty spikes when you face Yun-Gasol (I barely won a few of the scripted battles) and then drops off completely.
  2. Battle requires extreme micromanagement of units' position for optimal results, particularly for ranged units.  This was a constant source of frustration.
  3. Micromanaging city building once you control many territories becomes extremely tedious.

I liked Madou Koukaku overall (mostly for the characters, story, and setting) but the battle system was weak--although it still has the best real-time SRPG combat system I've seen in an eroge.

I couldn't even finish Rhapsody due to the fundamental design flaws--in that respect Madou Koukaku is far superior.  I'll hold my judgment on Sankai no Yubiwa until I play it, but linear story and restricted freedom are not always demerits.

Hmm can't comment about difficulty since I'm not that far in, I guess will become easier as time goes by but still having a pretty good time right now. The battles with Yun-Gasol at first though(not scripted ones but if you choose to keep being in war with them and start expanding) were the most fun for me, since my units were underleveled and all. 

This is what I did: The key was Aru and her special. All you have to do is wittle down the enemy forces and try to group them up at the same so Aru can commence her bombardment. Once they're grouped up(I found the hounds the best units because of their speed) I didn't sacrifice the hounds yet but switched them out for the most damage dealing units while Aru got in a perfect position. Then once those units deal damage,die and the bar fills up Aru can finally wipe the enemy out with her special. If they're not dead yet sacrifice those hounds as well. Thats how I dealt with the strongest units at the begining. If Aru had died though would've been GG.

Actually now that I think about it the ones with Ranaheim(not the scripted ones) early on were pretty challenging too, because my main force was deep inside Yun-Gasol when they decided take Rumorne and bait Weissheit in there to get provisions.I did have another army there and that's were the Magician commanders shined with their cheap special. It was especially effective at the first battle vs Girk because he always activated that special and kept runing away at some serious speeds. So I just kept cutting him off and derailing him from the path. The damage and range of that fire breath are very nice afterall.

Of course even without all of these you can just take the bases anytime with spies and end it right there unless it's scripted and has different objective but where's the fun in that? ^^

The last 2 points you mentioned though are one of the reasons I really like this game :) . Who knows I might find it tedious too after a while but so far I'm enjoying it.

1. Sengoku Rance

Superior gameplay which keeps me entertained and it is hard or tricky to get the more special endings/goals. I always return to this game once a year or so. There is something special when I am conquering Japan. You could go for one of the endings or trying to complete the game. Which is a hardcore mess where you most likely are raging over any small detail. Some of the character clears are just painful to get. But just playing the game is easy and you can do whatever you want. It isn't hard either. You decide how much of a challenge you want. I usually decide myself what I want to do and how I want to do it. Just to mix it up and trying to get different units. 

2. Kamidori Alchemy Meister

I never completed this game. But it was interesting. But the grinding and collecting went on to an absurd amount of level and in the end I dropped it. But it was enjoyable and I recommend it to anyone who enjoys grinding.

3. I want to say Seinarukana here. But I can't

I have high hopes for this VN. But I can't say if it is good or not. I enjoyed the first game and what I have heard the sequel should be much better overall. Otherwise I don't have any favorite I could recommend. Played a lot of machine translated gameplay VNs but that was a horror I am not repeating. I can't really judge them when I can't even comprehend a sentence. It doesn't do the story justice.

By the way, I also played Madou Koukaku so let me share some of my experience here.

@sanahtlig If you talk about the beginning, it was indeed challanging. Especially the first battle when you didn't even got Al yet. It's very hard so much that I need to resort for the strategy that posted in youtube. After you got Al, it was easier though if you managed to nuke the enemy since it will deal major damage and Madou Koukaku itself have some great stat. About point 2, I'm okay for that and therefore didn't had any problem. As for point 3, I think you really didn't need to micromanaging all the building in all of the city imo (Just around the Centakus should be enough I think), since I remember I only build all important building (Belmont shop, prostitute house, magic and tech lab, general shop) in Centakus and I think it cover enough for all of my need in Madou Koukaku. Also for little more micromanaging, I remember that I only developed former capital of conquered territory, while for the rare material I just checked the territory list and build appropriate building to harvest it.

If you had a hard time to read thought about, for easier word you didn't really need to micromanaging all of your territory, just Centakus (Treat it as your hub), the conquered capital, and the territory with rare material should be enough. Oh, always upgrade your castle if you had enough material (Although it should be no brainer of course).

@yetisphere For Ranaheim, yes it was pretty challenging, especially if you want to attacking Rumorune mountain path. My solution was instead of waiting, it's better to wait until the number in Rumorune show 3, then attack it with the strongest people (Mine was MC (Weissheit), Liselle, and Al obviously). After all, facing 3 commander even if it's named unit (I think in Eushully game named unit tend to be more strong than nameless unit or mook) is far more easier than facing 3 named unit plus 5 mook (I remember when Lacrille almost death then she escape to the tower and replaced by mook. My unit was almost critical and had 0 soldiers, while mook was still full in both of those of course. Not to mention the time was almost up. Damn). After Rumorune, just take your time to conquered Ranaheim, but don't underestimate them though since some battle could still give some headache.

I think I'll also write about Himegari here, since apparently there's no Fuwan here who wrote Himegari before (Just treat it as bonus from my top 3 lol)

Himegari Dungeon Meister - Well, the battle and system was like prototype Kamidori and the RNG was far more easy to manipulate than Kamidori (Kamidori had determined RNG for each turn and Himegari didn't had it). If you want to revisit dungeon, you will need some rare item called coin in order to do that (It was Scrappy Mechanic since you could only got the coin constantly from the card which is RNG base, and I'd glad that Kamidori didn't employ the same system there). Oh, the MC here was weakened demon king who his soul fused with the soul of very weak human who work as the gardener in the castle where the princess who beat demon king live. So of course the demon king took the chance to have his revenge to the princess, but with him at weakened state he could only rely to his Dragon, female succubus named Lily. From there, the demon king and Lily going down to underground in order to recover his body (I forgot to said that weakened mean only his soul with no strength, and the soul once again was fused). Another system here was that the MC was not fighting, only provide support using mana (Basically from recover HP to reduce all enemy HP to 1) while you leave the fighting to Lily and your minion. There's also item creation like in Kamidori, but I think it's quite messed up and you'll rarely use it. Also the enemy there didn't drop the item 100% like in Kamidori, only randomly. One more thing, you could also sex Lily here to raise stat or learn skill in dungeon (Back in Haruka thread I'd said that Lily was the same as Haruka in regard of loyalty. Made more funny that Haruka's seiyuu was also Lily's seiyuu, and especially with sex your loyal female subordinate to raise stat thing) and you could also grow Lily to teenager or adult form with increased stat of course.

so far my personal top3 are:

Ikusa Megami ZERO (ancient pantheon, heroic bravery, betrayal & last but not least staife)
Daiakuji (well, lets rape them all until they confess their crimes aka my very own loli-squad starts kicking ass)
Oujo no Abaddon (why it´s wrong to try arguing with nee-chan, btw. tale of a frustrated completionist) 

edit. zero/ao no kiseki could also be considered a great candidate for glory (more background, more jaeger corps, red costellation, more awesome) but wasnt that sure about its visual novel aspects, though.... nah screw those thoughts... anyway xseed why? whyy??? *sobb, sniff

my top 3 (its hard to choice)

3: Tears to tiara - that real time strategy but it is too easy because exp is still save even if your defeated. the only challenge is the extra boss.

2: Yumina the etherial - random quotes come out after attacking? sweet!!!!

1: duel savior - Mash the keyboard after a good/fair story