Maggot baits

KuroganeHomura

1ya8uv.jpg

So this the next VN to be released by Clock Up on November 27th.

OP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNK7WZRVZtQ

Trial version http://clockup.net/maggotbaits/download.html or http://www.getchu.com/soft.phtml?id=867581

Story http://clockup.net/maggotbaits/story.html

A bit more stuff about the VN http://clockup.net/staff/date/2015/09/

Seems like it might pick up where euphoria left off in terms of "might be a nukige, but definitely worth playing for the story, anyway".

Also, the OP is pretty cool.

I was seriously thinking of playing this one at release. I quite like tentacle stuff and it looks like this one might also have an interesting plot. 

I really like the art style and the character design. Very impressive.

It's just that it has been more than one year since I last touched a VN in japanese, so I'll probably be as slow as a dead snail :(

Edited by Overlord87

Dammit! I thought of making a clockup mega thread on the 27th because of the dual release of euphoria in english and this.

I did think it was kind of weird how we had someone with a maggot baits sig but no dedicated thread. I admit I partially did that now in hopes of squeezing a few more pre-orders out. The game seems to luckily have been doing really well so far, anyway, though.

Might still be worth it to make a general Clock Up thread, anyway.

And yeah, the game is pretty badass. I'm slightly miffed there probably won't be anything like an イザベル route, but I'm certainly looking forward to it regardless.

Another interesting Clockup title, that won't be touched by the majority of playerbase because of it's extremity, or maybe it's just the devs being too borderline with the type of content they produce. I'm not really sure what to think of Clockup in general; their games often show a lot of premise coupled with decent concepts, but overreliance on gore and "being edgy no matter what" kills their final products, making them interesting and fully enjoyable only to a very small, specific niche.

Another interesting Clockup title, that won't be touched by the majority of playerbase because of it's extremity, or maybe it's just the devs being too borderline with the type of content they produce. I'm not really sure what to think of Clockup in general; their games often show a lot of premise coupled with decent concepts, but overreliance on gore and "being edgy no matter what" kills their final products, making them interesting and fully enjoyable only to a very small, specific niche.

Dunno about that. Fraternite in particular certainly has a decent amount of gore in it, but what actually killed that one was it just being a flat-out boring read. Well, for that particular one, I don't know how much better they could have done without straying from what they wanted to do with the theme, though. Might just be me who didn't like it.

Now, as for Maggot baits, despite having gore even in the trailer, the game made it into amazon.jp's bestseller list https://twitter.com/shigeo_h/status/662615531426476033 at some point. So at least in Japan, it doesn't appear to be all that ultra niche. euphoria, on the other hand, has a reputation for being way way over the top extreme, but in terms of gore, it really isn't. There's not much of it and what there is is for the most part avoidable.

I kind of wish Dasaku was required reading so we'd have some actual metric for what constitutes extreme or niche. That game certainly applies. It's a really interesting read despite nominally being essentially a nukige, but it's probably very hard to appreciate for anyone outside a pretty niche group of readers.

I mean, I dunno, but going by the general response so far, it seems to me euphoria at least is going to do pretty well. Which is kind of at odds with the idea of it being extremely niche, unless that particular niche makes up a pretty big fraction of the VN niche in the West as a whole.

Hopefully not too much guro though

Sorry, but no. Judging from the trial I read, this is the most hardcore guro eroge I have read in a long time, maybe even the most hardcore guro non-doujin eroge, I've ever read. It's not only gore, it's not only guro, it's snuff.

You said this in the euphoria thread, now you say it here and it's still wrong.

I honestly don't understand why you think that catering to a niche nobody else is targeting would be a bad business decision. Everyone interested in guro will be interested in this game because there is virtually no other competitor in this genre. Something you can't say when we're talking about a little bit bloody chuuni (like you apparently want the game to be) where there are several other titles out there.

Clockup is not a guro-centered company at all, they just released two games with gore and maggot baits will only be the third. And actually, maggot baits is just the first game where the gore is (judging from the trial) only exploitation and not pivotal to the plot and it's message. Why do you approximate a game which isn't even released yet to it's whole company which has a big portfolio and long history of actually quite different games?
I think you only hate against euphoria, fraternite and maggot baits because it's not your cup of tea, but you try to justify this opinion with statements which are just not true.

I kind of wish Dasaku was required reading so we'd have some actual metric for what constitutes extreme or niche. That game certainly applies. It's a really interesting read despite nominally being essentially a nukige, but it's probably very hard to appreciate for anyone outside a pretty niche group of readers.

More people should know Dasaku. It's really an interesting read. Especially if you thought it's just a nukige and didn't expect such twists at all.

personally i pretty much like clockup for what they are doing theme-wise and how they try their hardest in conveying their different messages to openminded readers.
regarding euphoria, for i it was an okay experience in general, but i didnt change my way of thinking that much as it did with others, which might stem from me already letting my inner demons go on a rampage without ever trying to surpress them at all, so yeah, a nice read for inbetween.
fraternite on the other hand had a real big impact on myself, leading to me internalize that abandoning the false concepts of the world we´re living in is the right thing to do and will undoubtably help you finding true happiness for yourself.  even if it lasts only for a brief moment - you are actually happy which is all that matters to me. best example is probably saeko here, who came to understand her own sexual nature the more she let herself in for this way of thinking, freeing her from all the chains modern society tried binding her down, and arrived at the point of true extasis at the moment she decided to not waste anymore efforts on superflously caring for that supposed to be best friend of hers, which in a way was honoured by fate that ultimately led to him finding his own happiness by deciding on self-castration.
all in all its been a pleasent read, though the creators could´ve portayed the evilness some characters displayed abit more, but yeah it definitely touched and helped me become a more rational thinking persona.
reagding maggot baits, hm dunno really what to think of it yet without having read the whole thing. somehow i´m not really into those kinds of stories setting-wise, but you never know, perhaps i´ll be positivly surprised in the end. so far it looks real good & polished, plus the soundtrack is quite awesome.

dasaku... something i didnt enjoy for various reasons, but i acknowledge its uniqueness in terms of small cyclet couldnt do any better budget-/story-wise in an era of people falling for cute stuff only the more. part it was a meh-read for me has been my inabillity to empatize with its cast, where i dindnt give a single shit about the supposed to be hardships they experienced or not, so the whole thing only felt superficial to me. pretty sure its sequel will be somehow the same for i, so its going to be avoid reading.

I really like the promotional and in-game art. The VN's unique style/feel makes it easily stand out. Feels like a modern dark battle anime, but as a VN it'll have more space and freedom. The gore still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, but if the characters are decent it'll be one hell of a cool ride.

Edited by Chronopolis

Must admit, I love the art style that's presented here but I probably will struggle with some of the violence, particularly as it seems to be sexually oriented. That being said, the story sounds kinda interesting and the OP caught my interest, so I'll definitely give the demo a chance.

Must admit, I love the art style that's presented here but I probably will struggle with some of the violence, particularly as it seems to be sexually oriented. That being said, the story sounds kinda interesting and the OP caught my interest, so I'll definitely give the demo a chance.

JUST FUCKING PLAY IT ITS FUCKING DISGUSTING IN THE BEST WAY EVER!

seriously, the more I play through the trial, the more I love it.

Also the BGM tries to be faithful to the style of the OP in the combat scenes which is extremely rare in VNs and it works beautifully. the soundtrack overall is basically 9/10 close to the best OST I have ever heard.

• 3 weeks later...

Finished playing through the whole VN. It's great. I'm not good at writing reviews, so I'll just say play the demo, then if you like that, buy the game. I enjoyed reading all of it.

About the content, there's no scat this time around. There's no sex or gore with a character like Mei from Fraternite, either. So if you want to avoid those, there's none of that in this VN.

Now, about the gore. Well. The game's certainly a lot more brutal than Fraternite was, never mind euphoria. To the point where I don't think you could really make it any more brutal. I remember seeing CGs from different VNs that had somewhat more detailed gore and whatnot, but in terms of impact, I don't think you can top this. There are mosaics over gore a few times, but that's limited to scenes that have rape and gore simultaneously. If you're not sure if you can take it, try the demo. If you can stand what happens there, I can think you can take the rest, too.

My impression from glancing at the CGs is that this game is pretty much a guro-fest. Some people on VNDB who have played it pretty much confirm this. This is one of the most hardcore guro-filled games ever released by a major studio. So if guro is your thing, this VN is probably for you.

Finished playing through the whole VN. It's great. I'm not good at writing reviews, so I'll just say play the demo, then if you like that, buy the game. I enjoyed reading all of it.

About the content, there's no scat this time around. There's no sex or gore with a character like Mei from Fraternite, either. So if you want to avoid those, there's none of that in this VN.

Now, about the gore. Well. The game's certainly a lot more brutal than Fraternite was, never mind euphoria. To the point where I don't think you could really make it any more brutal. I remember seeing CGs from different VNs that had somewhat more detailed gore and whatnot, but in terms of impact, I don't think you can top this. There are mosaics over gore a few times, but that's limited to scenes that have rape and gore simultaneously. If you're not sure if you can take it, try the demo. If you can stand what happens there, I can think you can take the rest, too.

I loved the ever loving shit outta the demo, oh well, thanks for not spoiling and now im even more hyped to get started! (I just needed to grind through Euphoria first, which im done with now!).

Do you have a somewhat estimate on how long this VN is btw? 

My impression from glancing at the CGs is that this game is pretty much a guro-fest. Some people on VNDB who have played it pretty much confirm this. This is one of the most hardcore guro-filled games ever released by a major studio. So if guro is your thing, this VN is probably for you.

I skipped over most of the H- and gore scenes, for the most part only stopping at parts that seemed important, and my evaluation is based on reading it that way. So I think it boils down to the same question as with euphoria: Do you mind the fact that those kinds of scenes are in it? If not, I think the story is really enjoyable. If you do, well, the game isn't for you, obviously. And if you're into that stuff, then obviously the game is for you, too. Just that in euphoria's case it was scat and torture, whereas here it's outright gore instead of scat. If anything, for both games, the experience is probably even better if you're not mostly desensitized to seeing that stuff. I am, so in the case of Fraternite, where I found the story boring and didn't give a fuck about any of the characters, I was just bored throughout. Considering I really liked euphoria and Maggot Baits, on the other hand, I think it's safe to say that both games have worth beyond appealing to people into that stuff. Well, there are some people who liked Fraternite's story, too, so I guess that applies to that VN, too. Although I'm pretty damn sure Maggot Baits' eventual popularity will be more like euphoria's than Fraternite's.

Kawasumi: I took around 25 hours to read all of it. If you don't skip anything, I think you'll probably take like 40-50 hours, depending on your reading speed.

Cool, so about standard length for a non-doujin VN, sounds good though, if its up there with euphoria in terms of story quality, that gets me even more hyped.

Yeah, I think the story is of similar quality as euphoria, although it's quite a different kind of story, obviously.

I forgot to say, in case you haven't seen the tweet from Clock Up, they've released a patch http://clockup.net/maggotbaits/download.html.