I have not read Muv Kuv Alternative, what am I missing out on?

CeruleanGamer

Some people say it's something I must read if I consider myself a true visual novel connoisseur. I have it on my backlog but I just havent touched it yet since I play so many other games. What's in it that makes it a really good visual novel?

EDIT: mistypo the title. 

Yeah, I just realized I got Kappa'ed. Hmmm so far, I am reading Grisaia no Kajitsu, Majikoi A-1 to 5 fandiscs, Ever17, and Comyu. 

I am also reading Boku wa kanojo wa gatenkei to balance out all the vanilla since I get bored if I've seeing too much lovey-dovey stuff. 

Alternative is pretty good. 

The first game, though... Ugh. It's not an experience I suggest to people. You'll be reading several hours through a steaming pile of garbage. If you've already read it I'd say go for Alternative, but otherwise, there's probably better stuff you still have to read before it. 

Do I need to play any prequels or other Muv Luv games before I start on this one to better understand the story? 

yes, you can't have alt without muv luv extra and unlimited.

Are they bad? yes but only if you play them without playing alt, they are excellent as a whole, the truth is they are not meant to be played alone, they are a really long introduction and character development for alternative, you can't have one without the other, can you start watching a movie from the middle?yes but it would be a waste, the same thing applies to this.

Muv-Luv Alternative is pretty much a masterpiece that is as entertaining as it is interesting and very little VNs can do that (and Extra is far better than people say, but only in retrospect, the amount of foreshadowing the reader comes across is just stunning) . Definitely above 90% of VNs titles, the only real flaw is the awful character-design with fucking too much female characters, while the plot justify the harem as something other than blatant otaku-pandering it still feels wrong. But hey, MLA deserves its reputation, unlike Clannad and Steins;Gate. :Kappa:

Do I need to play any prequels or other Muv Luv games before I start on this one to better understand the story? 

I'm of the opinion that you don't. If you get a summary of the characters and what happened on the previous games you'll be fine. 

Might as well wait on Degica's official release of the Muv Luv series at this point.  Their version will improve on the fan translation.

I don't feel that's necessary. The translation is already of very high quality and I don't expect it to improve much, and better art wont make it any better, personally I like the stupidity in Muv-Luv's art style. To answer the original question, you're missing out on one of the great VN's out there. I have my personal problems with it but I wont disagree with anyone that says that Muv-Luv is the best. Just remember to read Extra/Unlimited before Alternative.

Muv-Luv's translation is not "of very high quality", please. It's certainly not as fucked up as other Ixrec translations (because there wasn't that much to fuck up in the first place) but Ixrec's prose is not very good and the infamous Lazaford Fields is enough to demonstrate that it wasn't carefully done at all.

But yeah there aren't many translated VNs that are as worth it as Muv-Luv Alternative, you should definitely give it a try at some point.

You mean translated titles. That's a pretty big claim to make if you haven't really explored deeper into the medium. Actually, it would be a pretty big claim even if you did.

Well not really, I don't speak japanese myself (not yet) but I'm acquainted to pretty big VN consumers and they all say that there isn't THAT much more interesting untranslated VNs. But it's obvious, most of translators won't waste their time translating shitty titles.  I'm not fond of arguing with ad populum but MLA is still pretty damn loved by japanese people. Stop talking about "untranslated VNs" like it's a whole different universe with masterpieces everywhere. Also don't forget that most VNs are galge,  no matter the language, and that alone give the genre extremely mediocre standards.

If it wasn't for Muramasa I would've already stopped learning japanese, I thought I could pile up a good hundred of very good titles but I find my wishlist pretty empty (considering what I expected) https://vndb.org/u67360/wish

can you even complain about some minus translation mistake? that's what I call nitpicking, it's so easy to bash on others people work...

btw I think the writing flows naturally so I don't have any problems with this translation, this again is something subjective bad translations are for example (for me) ef in which every 2 words you see a "bitch" "that whore" when the character is just saying "baka", I don't know if the mangagamer release was re-translated or not I played the No Name Losers version,

yes, you can't have alt without muv luv extra and unlimited.

Are they bad? yes but only if you play them without playing alt, they are excellent as a whole, the truth is they are not meant to be played alone, they are a really long introduction and character development for alternative, you can't have one without the other, can you start watching a movie from the middle?yes but it would be a waste, the same thing applies to this.

So whats the correct order to play the Muv Luv series?