New to VN's.... Where to start?

Hatsune Miku

DONT watch that video. Play the game!!!

Never listen to reviews!! Trust me you want to go into the game knowing nothing. PLEASE DO NOT WATCH THAT VIDEO!!!

Its such an amazing VN you dont need to know anything more then that!!

^ This

If you're looking for something short as a sort of 'taster', I would recommend Planetarian and Narcissu. They pack a lot of emotional punch despite their length. But if you don't like to cry, maybe you should avoid them.. ^^;

I second this ;)

I'd start with something short though just to get a feel of what VNs are like, unless you're willing to try out the longer ones like Clannad.

Ever17 is for those who want a good mindfuck. I enjoyed it immensely but I found a lot of VNs I liked more later...

Yeah, but you have the advantage of knowing Japanese. So you can expose yourself to more VNs, and thus have a higher chance of finding better ones. Clephas, can you surgically remove the part of your brain that knows Japanese and give it to me :P/>

DONT watch that video. Play the game!!!

Never listen to reviews!! Trust me you want to go into the game knowing nothing. PLEASE DO NOT WATCH THAT VIDEO!!!

Its such an amazing VN you dont need to know anything more then that!!

I didn't mean any bad intent by linking the video. I personally always look at reviews so then I get a feeling of whether I really want to play a game or not. Although, I can also see how a review could he harmful, either by getting your expectations to high, or being exposed to flaws before even playing the game. I linked the video for people like me who like to know more about the game before they play it. But definitely don't watch it if you don't mind playing a game without knowing much about it beforehand.

I didn't mean any bad intent by linking the video. I personally always look at reviews so then I get a feeling of whether I really want to play a game or not. Although, I can also see how a review could he harmful, either by getting your expectations to high, or being exposed to flaws before even playing the game. I linked the video for people like me who like to know more about the game before they play it. But definitely don't watch it if you don't mind playing a game without knowing much about it beforehand.

I prefer it if you would ask if they want to see a review before you post it. Ever17 is an amazing game, new people who haven't played it need to see for themselves without being biased by reviews.

Just my opinion.

I prefer it if you would ask if they want to see a review before you post it. Ever17 is an amazing game, new people who haven't played it need to see for themselves without being biased by reviews.

Just my opinion.

Reviews do create undo influence on the reader. Also, they often are completely off the mark when it comes to particular games. The english review of Devils Devel Concept that introduced me to the game was so far off that it didn't even resemble what the game was when I played it.

The guy who wrote it continually compared it to Tsukihime, even though the only thing that is the same is that both protagonists are young men with incredible powers. Sora is the opposite of frail and where people in Tsukihime fight against their inhuman natures, Devils Devel Concept characters generally accept their natures and impulses as normal sides of themselves, even if they don't necessarily like those parts of themselves. Not only that... but one of the major themes is moral relativity and amorality, whereas Tsukihime was a bit more straightforward...

Also, reviews with spoilers for games that bill themselves on their complexity are unacceptable, but for some reason people insist on spoiling those the most often...

Yeah, but you have the advantage of knowing Japanese. So you can expose yourself to more VNs, and thus have a higher chance of finding better ones. Clephas, can you surgically remove the part of your brain that knows Japanese and give it to me :P/>/>/>/>/>

If I could copypasta my knowledge and understanding into your brain, I would. Unfortunately that is impossible. Also, even if I find great games, nobody translates them because they inevitably focus on well-known companies or moege... Well, part of that is because the best games are almost all too wordy for most tls and a smart tl won't take on more than he/she can handle.

Edit: I really do suggest that anyone who is stuck with English play Cross Channel. I don't know how many people I mention it to who say 'I keep meaning to...' and then never get around to it because it takes second place to some other game. However, amongst the translated VNs I've played, I honestly enjoyed that one the most besides FSN and Tsukihime. For those looking forward to future releases, I'm pretty sure Grisaia will eventually become the most popular fantranslated work. This is because it holds all the best elements of your average moege with all the melodrama of a chuuni game, the depth of a story-focused, and the unique personalities of a chara-ge to create truly awesome result. Also, the protagonist reminds me of Sagara Sousuke from Full Metal Panic, save for the fact that he is more messed up.

When picking VNs/anime I only quickly look at the review and the possible mark, just to have a quick idea what's it talking about and what is the general idea of the guy about it. (Although I never read reviews elsewere than on forums. Somehow articles from specialized websites with dedicated reviewers are unbelievably wrong.)

I only really read reviews AFTER the game/anime.

When picking VNs/anime I only quickly look at the review and the possible mark, just to have a quick idea what's it talking about and what is the general idea of the guy about it. (Although I never read reviews elsewere than on forums. Somehow articles from specialized websites with dedicated reviewers are unbelievably wrong.)

I only really read reviews AFTER the game/anime.

For the past year or so, I've gotten into the habit of leaving comments on games I've played on vndb for those who want more information than the summary provides but don't want spoilers. If more people who played games in Japanese did this, it would probably be easier for people to avoid surprise kusoge or games that don't match their tastes... Unfortunately, most people just vote, which doesn't say anything about the game itself, unfortunately. As for English games... there are just too few translated VNs. Most newbies will go through all of the non-nukige in less than a year and then get hungry for more while they wait endlessly for translations... unfortunately for them. Also, since not everyone has a gift for languages, suggesting they learn Japanese is not an option for many. If I had more time, I'd be working a translation myself, but I've been having less and less time - ironically - since I rearranged my schedule around playing VNs (due to the fact that I switched from one-off jobs to contract work). Real life can be such a drag sometimes...

Wow, everyone here (except me) seems to hate reviews, I'm definitely not linking one ever again; lesson learned. In my defense though, I only recommend reviews that don't have spoilers past the first couple of hours of game play. PhantomZwei is really the only person on YouTube who is known for reviewing Visual Novels; so by raising awareness of his videos I feel like I'm raising awareness for Visual Novels in the west. I honesty first started playing Visual Novels because I saw his Kanon review, and he convinced me to play it, (since I loved the anime). So I still truly believe a good reviewer, (as I believe him to be) can convince people who haven't played VNs to give them a chance. I didn't mean to spark up controversy at all.

Wow, everyone here (except me) seems to hate reviews, I'm definitely not linking one ever again; lesson learned. In my defense though, I only recommend reviews that don't have spoilers past the first couple of hours of game play. PhantomZwei is really the only person on YouTube who is known for reviewing Visual Novels; so by raising awareness of his videos I feel like I'm raising awareness for Visual Novels in the west. I honesty first started playing Visual Novels because I saw his Kanon review, and he convinced me to play it, (since I loved the anime). So I still truly believe a good reviewer, (as I believe him to be) can convince people who haven't played VNs to give them a chance. I didn't mean to spark up controversy at all.

Understandable. However, if there is one common factor to most of the people who enjoy VNs... it is that they hate being spoiled. If you ruin the key points of a visual novel's story, just what is there left to enjoy? (besides ero) While reviews can be helpful, that is only if the writer is careful to be objective (even to the point of taking it to excess when they love the game) and avoids spoilers inasmuch as possible.

I'm divided on the subject of reviews. On one hand, I completely agree with Ryoji and the others in that its better to experience the the real thing yourself than relying on reviews. But on the other hand, I feel that people should be able to provide access to reviews. I mean it's their choice if they want to look at the review before the actual novel themselves. They shouldn't be deprived of that choice just because we feel reviews ruin the experience.

Although its not exactly hard for them to look for a review themselves if they really wanted to, but I'm just making a point here.

Understandable. However, if there is one common factor to most of the people who enjoy VNs... it is that they hate being spoiled. If you ruin the key points of a visual novel's story, just what is there left to enjoy? (besides ero) While reviews can be helpful, that is only if the writer is careful to be objective (even to the point of taking it to excess when they love the game) and avoids spoilers inasmuch as possible.

I understand that while eroge fans are mostly a peaceful species, they will kill if spoiled to something. And I also understand the fear of being spoiled to something. I honestly believe PhantomZwei to be a talented reviewer who can give you the necessarily information about a game without including spoilers, (I just wish he would upload more often). I think his videos do nothing but help the VN community and definitely should not be viewed as toxic. I'm not particularly happy with my link being taken down because it didn't contain spoilers, (unless you count first impression character summaries to be spoilers. Which they are not!). I could understand if it did contain spoilers, but I don't feel I violated any rule that deserved it to be taken down.

First, towards the OP: Rewrite sounds like your thing. Pretty much everything you listed. Should check it out.

Second: Grisasia is one that I am incredibly impatient for. I've heard nothing but good from it as a charege. Hype level is maxed out.

Third: I can't comment on the review topic as a guy who.. well, writes reviews. You really shouldn't read any reviews or dirt sheets about a product before going into it though. It can cause you to look for the cons that are listed and really skewer your initial impression, but to each their own.

your missing the point. Sure we don't want the VN to be spoiled, but if someone gives you a detailed review with their opinions and whatever it will still have an influence on the reader (or in this case watcher). That's the problem with reviews. Just posting a video link, in most cases, people will just click on it without reading really what it is. Especially in a topic like this.

If your mad I took the video down i don't see why. More then 1 person has said that it shouldn't be viewed without playing the game first. If your that upset, edit your comment and put it back, though I don't think you should. Your choice. Just know that people probably wont like it.

Posting reviews is fine Zalor but they should be represented better. Just adding a video it in the middle of a topic doesn't do it.

There has been talk about adding a review thread, but a bunch of people didn't want it for exactly the same reason demonstrated here. That's all im going to say, listen or don't your choice.

But definitely don't watch it if you don't mind playing a game without knowing much about it beforehand.

You posted that way after you posted the video. exactly what im talking about. Even you say you shouldn't watch it beforehand. Whats the issue here?

If your mad I took the video down i don't see why. More then 1 person has said that it shouldn't be viewed without playing the game first. If your that upset, edit your comment and put it back, though I don't think you should. Your choice. Just know that people probably wont like it.

I can clearly see that reviews are kind of taboo (I wasn't aware of this until very recently so please don't be too upset with me). And as you mentioned people probably won't like it if I edited the video back on my post, so I won't. I still think that PhantomZwei is an excellent reviewer who actually reviews for people interested in playing the game, and not for people who already finished the game. I feel that his videos are nothing but a positive influence on the community, and it bothers me for people to have the misconception that his work is toxic. But seeing as the majority of people are opposed to reviews, I suppose it's the law of democracy for me to just admit I lost, and so I shall.

All the big must mentions have been mentioned, but I thought I should point towards Steins;gate when you have time. I'm a science guy, so it was my favorite VN to read. Just a warning, don't talk to people about it before you finish it. It's very spoiler intensive (as all sci-fi is).

All the big must mentions have been mentioned, but I thought I should point towards Steins;gate when you have time. I'm a science guy, so it was my favorite VN to read. Just a warning, don't talk to people about it before you finish it. It's very spoiler intensive (as all sci-fi is).

I finished the Steins;Gate anime and really enjoyed it, would you still recommend for me to play the VN as well? Because I watched Clannad before playing the VN, and the VN felt kind of boring since I experienced a lot of the content through the anime. Considering I watched the anime, do you think I would still enjoy Stiens;Gate as a VN?

I finished the Steins;Gate anime and really enjoyed it, would you still recommend for me to play the VN as well? Because I watched Clannad before playing the VN, and the VN felt kind of boring since I experienced a lot of the content through the anime. Considering I watched the anime, do you think I would still enjoy Stiens;Gate as a VN?

I think you should play the VN. You wont get the same enjoyment you would have without the Anime but the VN is better then the Anime so I say definitely play the VN. Its a classic for sure!!