Stray Cat

2 members have voted

1. 1. What anime will we watch?

• Utawarerumono
    • Rage of Bahamut: Genesis
    • Blood Lad
    • Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu

This poll is closed to new votes

I don't think he's that much of a tsundere, his feelings always come across most of the time and he's not dishonest.

He does manage to sound harsh, but I wouldn't attribute it to a tsundere personality since he doesn't really go "dere" he just kind of relaxes a bit more and talks more calmly.

Oh man that episode 15, I wonder what happened to Nodame-chan :(

It was a bit harsh to see everyone rejecting her dream to be a kindergarten teacher, I thought that was pretty noble.

I'm curious if there was some trauma in her past, much like Chiaki's past.

Seems like things will get edgy.

Finished Nodame Cantabile now.

Wow, just wow.

This show right here should set the standard for how music shows should be.

I absolutely loved every minute of it. The focus always remained on music, but at the same time the character development was great and everything just tied in together so nicely.

Every character had their moments, the main characters had an amazing dynamic that always progressed and they mutually helped each other get back up.

The concerts were lovely with long pieces for the viewer to enjoy.

The only sad part is that it even has to end.

That finale though<3

So many musical moments, why can't more shows have this?

Masumi-chan best grilll.

It's at least a 9/10, there's no way I can go lower.

It was simply brilliant and I think it's possibly one of the best music anime out there.

Definitely going to watch the sequel as I just need to see more of these MCs.

Just finished it. Here's my review.

Story: 9/10

The story is something new for me, we see not only Chiaki, but the other characters learning from their experiences. The fact that it's a music anime made it more enjoyable, as I don't know much about music, I don't know any of the terms or anything, yet it's still awesome.

Characters: 10/10

I've never seen characters so likable before. Everyone interacts nicely, and they compliment each other. The development is great too, seeing Nodame work so hard for that competition, and still fail. Yet, she was able to recover from it and continue on.

Art: 9/10

I've only got four words and one acronym for this: Those CGI hand movements though. 

:wub: 

Soundtrack: 9/10

I've never liked classical music so much before. Watching this really makes me appreciate it more.

Enjoyment: 10/10

Overall: My first ever 10/10

This was so enjoyable, It's definitely one of my favorites!

I think I'm gonna quit signing up. Last time and this time I keep getting a few episodes in and then dropping it. It's not the anime, it's me. I'm just not in a place right now where I can sit down and watch a whole anime season and enjoy it. I really wish I was since these seem like good shows, I just can't get into them and am always finding something else I'd rather be doing. :unsure:

Finished Nodame Cantabile: Paris Hen

It was definitely a very solid continuation.

I will admit it wasn't as top notch as the initial season, probably because of the change in pacing and setting.

But honestly it was still above average for me and very enjoyable.

The focus on romance increased a lot in this season and it was nice seeing Chiaki and Nodame sorting themselves out as waifu and husbando.

Overall I'd give it an 8, really solid and fun to watch, shame it was short and felt a bit disconnected from the previous season, but the music was still central to the plot and it all managed to wrap up nicely at the end.

Looking forward to watching Nodame Cantabile Finale

This series really became a favorite of mine, such originality and amazing characters, you don't gwt this everyday, I get a sense that KimiUso was inspired by this to some degree.

Watched the first episode.  Hooo boy I'm gonna have to force myself to get through this one.  Right off the bat we're starting off with two of my least favorite things: stuck up protagonists and (what I consider to be) dumb childhood dreams driving the plot. 

There's a few good comedy bits with Nodame but it doesn't really help the rest of it.

hqdefault.jpg

Also considering the squirrel pounding down the brewskis in the ending I was half-expecting to hear this as the ending theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8lEcwFfq7c

Hm, what exactly makes you hate Chiaki that much right off the bat?

I'd say he's more of a perfectionist rather than a stuck up, which, in the world of music, really is important. I remember my music teacher yelling at me all the time too.

As for childhood dreams, i don't think wanting to be a conductor drives down his character personally, he went to a college to learn how to be a conductor because he was Vieira's pupil and wants to be as good as him because he loves producing good music. It's pretty average and normal, sure, but i feel like it fits with the theme.

It's better than childhood love promises.

Hm, what exactly makes you hate Chiaki that much right off the bat?

I'd say he's more of a perfectionist rather than a stuck up, which, in the world of music, really is important. I remember my music teacher yelling at me all the time too.

As for childhood dreams, i don't think wanting to be a conductor drives down his character personally, he went to a college to learn how to be a conductor because he was Vieira's pupil and wants to be as good as him because he loves producing good music. It's normal, sure, but i feel like it fits with the theme.

He's basically saying everyone sucks in the first 5 minutes.  If that's not stuck-up IDK what is.  Kind of a condescending prick really.  Sure he may develop but that's always a huge turn-off to me in anime.

No, not just wanting to be conductor.  He can only learn from "that" conductor and only when he feels "his own made-up goals" are met. Again, just personal preference that turns me off.  I don't like the idea of planning your life out from age 8 as it is but putting those requirements based on those childhood feeling you likely don't even remember right as the damn intro points out.  Ugh, just no.

It's the same for childhood romance with me too.  Absolutely hate those stories.  

"I'm in kindergarten I love X and I'm going to be their spouse."

You're also going to get divorced in less than a year cause you have no other love experience whatsoever and didn't realize that what you wanted at age 6 wasn't what you would want later in life.   :sachi:

It might come off as stuck up, but i think it's just his perfectionist self wanting everyone to play perfect. His first teacher Harisen was the same with him and smacked him all the time.

Chiaki clearly has the mindset of a conductor, someone who has to listen to every instrument in a orchestra and point out flaws all the time, I feel like him wanting Nodame and the rest to play well is part of his conductor self, so it doesn't feel so weird that he's that way since his goal is to be a conductor.

And nah he doesn't just want to learn from that conductor in particular, he just looks up to him and wants to prove himself worthy, that's why he's working hard in the music college.

You'll see later I guess.

As for childhood dreams, Chiaki was clearly raised in a family of musicians and was likely given music lessons from a very young age, so he just naturally evolved into what he is today I guess. I guess forcing him to be that is debatable, but I don't really get the feeling this anime comes across as "I've always dreamed of being this so i'll work hard for it!", but rather "I have a passion for music and want to keep evolving myself and work in the industry". It just gave me a very different vibe than the typical childhood dream type of stuff.

Well I don't blame you if you don't like his attitude, not everyone does, though it's interesting this in particular sets you off when I saw everyone else mostly enjoying it.

I'd say give Chiaki a chance, he's not a bad guy.

I'm up to episode 9 now.   Yeah, this is definitely a show that grows on you, I'm enjoying it now.  I kinda envisioned it going an entirely different way after the first 2 eps and I'm glad it's not doing that so far.  Nodame definitely makes the show, no doubt about that.   There are occasional parts that I find a bit boring or uninteresting but I can't deny that the show is well done, just more preference things. 

I just marathoned that didn't I....

We told you it was that good, didn't we? 

The same happened to me, after I got into it I couldn't stop watching.

Nodame is one the most well done anime I've seen, it has really good balance between the comedy, dramatic events and music. 

And it's nice too see that music anime actually takes music seriously, and not just use it as a setting. I can't say I'm a huge fan of classical music, but after all the passion they show for it and quality of the music itself I really liked it. Especially the concerts managed to capture the feeling of enjoying music so well. At times I wanted to close my eyes just go with the music, something that doesn't happen very often.

We told you it was that good, didn't we? 

The same happened to me, after I got into it I couldn't stop watching.

Nodame is one the most well done anime I've seen, it has really good balance between the comedy, dramatic events and music. 

And it's nice too see that music anime actually takes music seriously, and not just use it as a setting. I can't say I'm a huge fan of classical music, but after all the passion they show for it and quality of the music itself I really liked it. Especially the concerts managed to capture the feeling of enjoying music so well. At times I wanted to close my eyes just go with the music, something that doesn't happen very often.

More cause I was bed-ridden.  I think this is the second time ever I've watched a whole anime (20+ episodes) in a day. 

I did like it, well parts of it anyway.  For some reason the end of it started to drag for me a bit., maybe the fact that it turned so serious and dropped the humor for a while.  The romance was definitely lacking for my tastes, it just didn't seem developed enough.  Like in the change of 1 ep they wanted us to take it seriously, just didn't transfer right for me.

I''ll have to think about what score to give it, it's definitely not a 10 but it's not below an 8 either. 

More cause I was bed-ridden.  I think this is the second time ever I've watched a whole anime (20+ episodes) in a day. 

I did like it, well parts of it anyway.  For some reason the end of it started to drag for me a bit., maybe the fact that it turned so serious and dropped the humor for a while.  The romance was definitely lacking for my tastes, it just didn't seem developed enough.  Like in the change of 1 ep they wanted us to take it seriously, just didn't transfer right for me.

I''ll have to think about what score to give it, it's definitely not a 10 but it's not below an 8 either. 

Oh. Well whatever, result was the same.

I was more surprised than bothered by the lack of romance. I expected more of it, but I was fine with the little we got. It was nice to see the subtle advancements in their relationship, I liked their slow and slightly awkward progression.

There's more romance in the sequels/following seasons, but at least the Paris Hen doesn't quite have the same amazing feeling as the first season. I still have to watch the Finale though.

The romance is definitely not the focus, but I felt like their relationship progressed nicely with the plot rather than stopping the entire story to focus on the relationship.

And yeah Paris Hen evolves their relationship to the next level and while it wasn't as grandiose as the first season in terms of story, at least we got some more character development.

I liked that the Oboe guy came back and even he got focus. Go Oboe dude.

Oh. Well whatever, result was the same.

I was more surprised than bothered by the lack of romance. I expected more of it, but I was fine with the little we got. It was nice to see the subtle advancements in their relationship, I liked their slow and slightly awkward progression.

There's more romance in the sequels/following seasons, but at least the Paris Hen doesn't quite have the same amazing feeling as the first season. I still have to watch the Finale though.

It wasn't so much the lack as the snap in the last two episodes.  Tsun, Tsun, Tsun, Tsun, Full Blown Relationship.  Gave me whiplash. 

The romance is definitely not the focus, but I felt like their relationship progressed nicely with the plot rather than stopping the entire story to focus on the relationship.

And yeah Paris Hen evolves their relationship to the next level and while it wasn't as grandiose as the first season in terms of story, at least we got some more character development.

I liked that the Oboe guy came back and even he got focus. Go Oboe dude.

Yea, one thing I did like is they weren't afraid to have characters come and go all the time instead of sticking with the same cast the whole way through, you don't see that very often.  

The only thing I miss in Paris Hen and Finale are the longer performances the first season has.

I guess it's the benefit of the longer running time, but those few longer and more extensive concerts were amazing. They really sucked me into the music, unlike the shorter snippets in later ones. The music was still good, but it felt like they were just showing you small samples of classical music, rather than an actual performance. The same feeling isn't there.

I really appreciate the time and care they put into the music in Nodame Cantabile.

I just finished with Finale.  A little bit more closure at the end would have been nice but still excellent overall.

Man, when this was selected I wasn't expecting to like it that well, let alone have it become one of my all time favorites.  I was pleasantly surprised, top 10 for me for sure.

Reviews will come later.  I really want Opera-hen to be made into an OVA or something but that will probably never happen at this point.  Oh well, I'll read that shortly too.

Finished the first season. I didn't expect that I would like watching all those music performances. This was a pleasant surprise. 

I enjoyed the comedy a lot (I'm simple when it comes to comedy) and the romance was a nice bonus. Now I'm off to watch Paris Hen and Finale