Winter 2015 Anime Discussion

Down

I had been keeping up with all the news about Aldnoah up until today. So for the most part, I knew that Inaho was alive, but I was kinda pretending that MAYBE they were trolling everyone. 

I was unpleasantly surprised.

My reaction when it reveals EVERYONE to be alive (especially Inaho):

unimpressed-dog.jpg

Aldnoah.Zero 2 is a pathetic excuse to continue the plot left from season 1.

If the series was 2 cour, I would have excused this, but no, season 1 ended on the suspense note that characters died, and season 2 comes back and goes "lel no everyone's alive because friendship and love and humongous plot holes".

Inaho is still breaking common sense and physics so I guess if you enjoyed that part, you have more of it!

The princess is alive because.. more humongous plot holes!

I didn't like Slaine but I have no problems with him going to the dark side, and I definitely see the potential in a new makeshift princess, that's cool, but everything else around it is just so lackluster.

I wanted new characters, new plot elements, just.. something!

But nope, all the characters are the same, the plot is still the same, nothing's changed!

This is literally just a pathetic excuse to reset the plot back to square one so they can push out another season.

Again if this was 2 cour with a logical following, i'd excuse it, but they advertised it as a second season and all I got was a pathetic excuse for the season's existence.

Season 1 of Aldnoah is basically pointless with this.

Good job.

This series is Aldnoah/Zero/10

I'm not saying the fact that they survived is physically impossible. There was a man that shoved a steel rod up his eye socket, through his entire skull, and still survived after (in real life). That's not really what annoyed me.

(Seriously though, it felt more like the power of love cured him than actual medical attention, he was freaking glowing after his brain got blasted out)

When you end off a series on such a note (as in, showcasing most of the main characters "dying") and then continue on just by casually explaining why everyone's still alive, after all the rough ride they had to go through (for virtually nothing).

Don't you feel a bit trolled? I certainly do.

It just feels cheap and made the whole thing that lead up to that moment feel pointless..

You could have introduced a new cast, with more interesting characters, but instead it's just more of the same.

Not to mention a character's death can be such a powerful story element, but nope, screw actually killing anybody important in a show that's supposed to be dramatic (you can kill off half of the background characters though!).

But I've had other issues with Aldnoah, mainly how Inaho was pretty cool at first but then I sort of realized he's the most bland protagonist in existence (well, at least he's consistent with it). How the princess' middle name should be "stockholm syndrome" and how Slaine is a douchebag that hasn't gotten over puberty yet.

So I guess season 1 didn't end off on a high note for me and those feelings pretty much trespassed to season 2 when I see they just went back to square one (having a new "eye" and a new character doesn't revolutionize anything, the plot's still the same) and it just made me sigh and facepalm.

It just feels cheap and underwhelming, that's all.

Understandable, even if I don't agree(except for Slaine.  Didn't like him in season 1; really don't like him now).  But like I said, for me at least, the thing that redeems the current state of the cast in season 2 isn't really just that it's plausible, but that it's consistent with what we saw in light of that plausibility.  The character with the exit wound turned out okay(sans eye), and the one without one is comatose.  And like I said, the Odin thing had to be planned from the beginning.  I can't see that being an accident.  Did they play with our expectations?  Absolutely.  Was it a cheap cop out?  IMO, it was not.

But if you didn't like the show for other reasons, that doesn't really help.

I'm just saying but.... why are you guys still expecting a good story after episode 3 of the first season? I mean Ei Aoki is a good director and all but after Urobuchi left after episode 3 and hearing that A-1 Pictures pressured the Aoki for making a soldable show for Aldnoah... I kind of lost hope.... and I was correct. Most of the twists from the looks of it are just bait =_=

Though Sawano still outdone himself. I can't stop being amazed at the soundtrack and A-1 Pictures still make some amazing animation overall, the latest episode just proved that. The snow background just... woah...  :kosame: 

Honestly, while the story isn't really bad in my eyes, it's not amazing either.  There are worse, and there are better.  The main reason I continue watching is that the concept - real robot vs super robot - is an interesting one, and the resulting battles are fairly different from what I usually see in mecha.  The battles have an almost Rurouni Kenshin-like quality that appeals to me(it's not exactly the same, but there are parallels).  And frankly, if other members can be entertained by plotless shows because they have cute girls doing cute things, I don't see why I can't be entertained by largely forgettable plot propped up by science-tactical action.  I've gotten worse from Gundam series.

Death Parade: I prefer the ova but this wasn't a bad episode. I definitely think they can get it to ova quality in a few episodes.  I rather like the psychology behind this one as well as the mind game the show plays with the viewer. Even with the episode over and an idea that we think we know what happened I can't help but think perhaps we don't have the full story. Then we have the elevators the discussion at the very end and that absolutely brilliant OP. The anime gives me a very bartender-y feeling and that is never a bad thing. I'm definitely going to be following this. 

So we know she cheated on him but that was after the wedding when she had a ring on her finger...is it possible she cheated on him because he was accusing her of cheating on him and perhaps they fell into a marriage without warmth? We know from the dinner plate with Machy's name on it that she actually did exist and the only flashback we see of the wife is when is in bed with a wedding band on her finger. This means that this is after the marriage. Was she cheating the whole time or was that the first time? She definitely looks almost guilt ridden clutching the pillow and something makes me wanna say it was the first time. I think it would be rather odd for her to flashback to a different time she cheated...it would be the first time she did. There is also the fact that when watching the episode when they first arrive the horned mask appears on the left and the other mask appears on the right (where the woman comes from). By the end of the episode though the horned mask is now on the right and the other mask is on the left. It's a very subtle difference that most people probably miss. 

Junketsu no Maria: This one rather surprised me. There is not nearly enough to go on about the type of show it will be although fanservice-y seems likely. I rather enjoyed watching this for reasons I'm not quite sure of. I think I'm just fond of the setting and the animation and am curious what type of show it's going to end up becoming. I'll give it a few more episodes but I'm probably going to follow it regardless of my 3 episode rule. 

Ansatsu Kyoushitsu: So apparently this is one of the most hyped up shows this season and I gotta say it's pretty meh. The art design seems to be from the person who did danganronpa (or very similar to it) and while not horrible it's just meh. The plot is resoundingly stupid even for a shounen anime. I originally thought this was supposed to be a comedy but the lack of humor obviously brought an end to that mistake. Kuro Sensei is honestly one of the only characters I like that I've managed to meet so far which is actually pretty decent considering he's supposed to be one of the main characters and that's probably only because he seems to be a decent teacher. I'll give it another 2 episodes but currently I find it unlikely that I will be continuing it. It's not bad it's just meh.

Magic Kaito: I'm loving this series and I have no reason why. I really like how blatantly cheesy it is and honestly just think it's a fun show. I'm even rather fond of the music and the characters in general. I've gotten fully caught up so I'm gonna be sticking with this one for the winter season as well.

Durarara x2: I feel as if nothing nothing has changed. As someone invested in the light novel though I know that is completely untrue and there's a lot of stuff in store for this season if certain things get adapted. Despite releasing how many years ago it's managed to stay the same. It has sharper animation quality but it just looks and feels like durarara and since I enjoyed the first season I'm probably going to enjoy this one as well. I don't even have to wait I'm sticking with this one.

Aldnoah Zero Season 2: I knew it would be bad. I had slight hope that at least one thing would be good but then they showed the ending. I feel as if it would have been a better series had they just kept it at one season (with that ending). As it is I've lost all hope for this series possibly becoming decent at all. It all felt like a major cop out and as such I might just not watch it.  I have one final thing to say; Shirou was wrong, people don't die when they are killed.

Log Horizon Season 2: Holy hell how much did they just skip. I take it they've decided to adapt the 9 vol. and basically skip a bunch of the other events. I am quite disappointed by this even if this episode was quite enjoyable (comparatively to the first half of the season). Now mind you as an MMO player I actually quite enjoyed a lot of the first half of the season but this first part of the 2nd half basically was better than most of them in terms of fun. I'll continue it to the end regardless.

Shirobako: I started watching this for last season but since it's still continuing I'm going to count it as winter anime. I actually really love this series. It's not for most people and most people probably will find it quite boring but this is one of the best slice-of-life-ish anime I have seen in a long while. I am so glad it's an anime about adults in a slice of life setting. I'm out of my school years and simply can't relate as well as I used to to school based anime so this was a nice refresher. I totally understand what a few of the characters are going through and I thought a lot of this was probably just joking around but I wouldn't be surprised if half of what this anime has in it is realistic to the animation studios in Japan. Honestly really enjoying this series and hope we see more like these in the future (adult characters in a slice of life setting). Going to be definitely continuing this. 

Yurikuma Arashi: It's very yuri and kuma. I initially was not too favorable in the beginning of the episode (although that OP ha ha) but as the episode went on it became less boring and began to become a lot more interesting. Admittedly I still have no idea what the hell is going on but then this is to be expected of the creator of Penguindrum and Utena. Symbolism Explosion! I'll give it a few more episodes but I'm probably gonna continue it regardless if I initially dislike it. It has potential if nothing else.

Rolling Girls: Huh. Not sure what to say about this aside from it reminded me of kill la kill and Zvesda. It seems to be about gangs of people fighting for territory and items or something. Honestly the first episode didn't give me nearly enough information to figure out what the plot actually is going to be. The action scenes were decently fun and the characters seemed interesting. I'll give it at least 3 episodes.

Absolute Duo: It is yet another cliche light/novel/manga adaptation complete with school. I don't see anything unique going on here and I highly doubt I'll be continuing this but I do have a 3 episode rule to follow. Let's see if the next two episodes can change my mind. 

Saekano: Definitely the title for me that I was not expecting to have any interest whatsoever in. Surprised that I was wrong in this case. The pandering at the beginning is probably what did it. I rather liked the parodying that went on throughout the anime and the characters all seemed quite cliche but likable. I'll have to wait and see how the actual series is but I rather enjoyed episode 0. All things considered I highly doubt that I will not watch this anime to the end. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYEAaRo0ZCg

So long so good. Finally tokyo ghoul season 2 has arrived.

One of the things i realized from the first episode is that-

OMG THE OPENING WHYYYYYY?

The new opening wasn't that BAD but it wasn't quite as good as i was expecting.

I know the lyrics does make sense but the art style and the song didn’t fit the show.

The animation is great like always, there aren't many things that changed. But i think that kaneki's kagune  wasn’t displayed like the final episode of the first season.

AND I DON’T KNOW A GOD DAMN CLUE WHY KANEKI JOINED THE AOGIRI.

No spoiling please.

As for my prediction it’s either kaneki has something up his sleeve or his personality changed completely and now he wants to be a bad guy.

From what I heard the author is keeping an eye on the show so I have high faith in this new season.

What do you guys think?