References in VNs to other works

Snowtsuku

Danganronpa 2 references Danganronpa 1 quite frequently.

I think it'd be more of a surprise if a sequel didn't reference it's prequel. But by that logic:

Umineko references Higurashi.

Da Capo II references Da Capo

Remember 11 references Ever17

Ever17 references Never 7

Remember 11 references Never 7

etc. 2 references etc.

I think it'd be more of a surprise if a sequel didn't reference it's prequel. But by that logic:

Umineko references Higurashi.

Da Capo II references Da Capo

Remember 11 references Ever17

Ever17 references Never 7

Remember 11 references Never 7

etc. 2 references etc.

I mean DR2 takes a jab at DR1 and its twists. The sequel makes fun of the prequel and I don't think every sequel does that.

I mean DR2 takes a jab at DR1 and its twists. The sequel makes fun of the prequel and I don't think every sequel does that.

You didn't make that painfully clear, though. 

Anyhow, what they did was what I consider to be a good thing. They used the prequel to make the sequel better for those who had played said prequel. Making fun of things is just Danganronpa's style as well.

I don't think it's that unusual, really. Umineko did the same. 

Then again, Umineko made a point of criticizing pretty much every mystery book/game/thing on the planet.

References in these works are really cool, whether they're serious or comedic. However, I have come across too many in the huge number of VNs that I've read (given that what I look for are "referential" stories in the first place...) to specify anything notable enough. I could say that, so far, the highest amount of references (both of which are serious and comedic) I've seen in an eroge was in SubaHibi. Can't give any examples, though...

You didn't make that painfully clear, though. 

Anyhow, what they did was what I consider to be a good thing. They used the prequel to make the sequel better for those who had played said prequel. Making fun of things is just Danganronpa's style as well.

I don't think it's that unusual, really. Umineko did the same. 

Then again, Umineko made a point of criticizing pretty much every mystery book/game/thing on the planet.

• 2 months later...

In Da Capo III, they were discussing about mails that go through time, and this obvious reference to Steins;Gate came up.

9041173978.jpg

Attempt at translation: "For example a weird chemical reaction happens between a phone and a microwave, and the mail is sent to the past, or something"