OriginalRen's "Let's Play" Series - Poll

OriginalRen

26 members have voted

1. 1. Do you watch OriginalRen's "Let's Play" series videos?

• Yes!
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

Hey Fuwanovel,

I just wanted to host a quick poll for everyone on the website. I am curious to see how many members both around and outside of the website watch my "let's play" series on my Google Drive. Since I cannot see the viewer count like I was able to on YouTube, it's hard for me to see if the videos I am creating are still getting traffic. Let me know in the poll if you watch my videos, or feel free to post it in this thread instead.

Remember that I am not talking about my streams, but rather the videos themselves. Thanks again!

If I may offer a suggestion, there is a little work around to not having notifications you could try. Set up a free wordpress blog, and every time a new video goes up, do a quick post on the blog with a link, and make sure to have RSS feeds on. That way, all we have to do is subscribe to the RSS feed and we'll get a nifty little notification that a new video has gone up. 

Oh wow...I did not expect this; the result of this poll is surprising. I guess I should stop hosting these streams if the view count is that bad. Jesus...that 1 guy really did ruin my YouTube channel.

I wouldn't go that far. Remember, yell at us for publicity at least on twitter. As much as I joke around, I don't mind poking a little heads up on twitter about them. Facebook I can't do it all the time for spam reasons.

Another thing, people don't always dig through the forums and what not. Setting up a better notification system might work well. For example, I never know when you are streaming unless I'm sitting in your channel. Finally, more untranslated games would be for the best I'd imagine. And one more thing to remember, last time I posted your stream on Facebook, I got a few comments saying, "I'd rather read it myself when its translated." A lot of people would rather read these VNs themselves. 

Actually I prefer it when you do these lesser known/untranslated vns because I don't want to watch someone read one that I was planning on reading. But I'll gladly tune in sometimes for a vn that wasn't on my radar. And I think the popularity probably varies per vn. Wasnt your Cocoro@Function steam really popular?

I think at the end of the day it is better people were truthful as it gives you a real view of how things are going. It would not be helpful if people had just said yes to pander. It's important to have accurate data.

Don't get me wrong, this data is helpful and I am not saying anyone is incorrect, however this does make me question a few things. My main concerns are as follows:

1. Is this even worth doing streams anymore?

2. How can I promote these videos better?

For the 2nd question, I planned to upload a YouTube video promoting the Google Drive (one for each game) that has links and annotations, but I don't even know if that will help. As many people have stated, people want to play the games rather than watch them being played, so it makes me wonder if any of this is worth my time.

Don't get me wrong, this data is helpful and I am not saying anyone is incorrect, however this does make me question a few things. My main concerns are as follows:

1. Is this even worth doing streams anymore?

2. How can I promote these videos better?

For the 2nd question, I planned to upload a YouTube video promoting the Google Drive (one for each game) that has links and annotations, but I don't even know if that will help. As many people have stated, people want to play the games rather than watch them being played, so it makes me wonder if any of this is worth my time.

Are you enjoying making the videos at elast?

Are you enjoying making the videos at elast?

I do, but is it worth doing something like this when playing the VN by myself is just as good? I originally did the Clover Day's, Nursery Rhyme, Cocoro@Function!, and Koi ga Saku streams in order to promote the games and help the translation groups, however ever since the YouTube fiasco, this shows my view count is not what it used to be. To put it lightly, how am I even promoting the translation groups if nobody watches the videos to begin with?

God damnit, I feel like a lot of my ideas are failing as of late. Podcast episode disappointments, YouTube video disappointments, ideas being useless...I understand this is to be expected, but in this case I did not expect such low numbers; I really miss YouTube. Signing in this morning and seeing a 1 to 12 ratio was a smack to the face. Hell, even jeftai commented on it.

I do, but is it worth doing something like this when playing the VN by myself is just as good? I originally did the Clover Day's, Nursery Rhyme, Cocoro@Function!, and Koi ga Saku streams in order to promote the games and help the translation groups, however ever since the YouTube fiasco, this shows my view count is not what it used to be. To put it lightly, how am I even promoting the translation groups if nobody watches the videos to begin with?

God damnit, I feel like a lot of my ideas are failing as of late. Podcast episode disappointments, YouTube video disappointments, ideas being useless...I understand this is to be expected but in this case I did not expect such low numbers; I really miss YouTube. Signing in this morning and seeing a 1 to 12 ratio was a smack to the face. Hell, even jeftai commented on it.

As someone who hadn't watched the Let's Play series before when it was on YouTube (I'm fairly new to the forum/community), I'd have to say I wouldn't even know where the link to your Google Drive is. I say this not really for my sake, but rather for someone interested in checking your streams out as I personally don't have the time to really even play VNs like I did during summer. I've watched Let's Plays of VNs on YouTube before (that were surprisingly popular) and really enjoyed it. There's an audience for it, that's for sure (fortunately/unfortunately that's likely on sites where exposure is the highest like YT and Twitch)

Let's all bully Ren~

Honestly though, I don't watch the videos because I did't give them a proper try. I really didn't like what I got in the Cocoro Function, so I didn't try any of the others.
If this whole thing is publicity stunt then it's genius, as I'm about to give it a chance again. But I doubt a honest man like yourself would do such things. You hear that, cynical me?

As for why I think these videos have become less popular, it can only be one thing.
This OriginalRen guy has become kinda stale. You should start over fresh, make a new incógnito account. Maybe name it OriginalRun.

Edit:[i was sleepy when I wrote this, so I must apologize if I offended anyone.

The sleepier I am, the ruder I become.

Just keep calm and read my signature]

Edited by Tiagofvarela

Let's all bully Ren~

Honestly though, I don't watch the videos because I did't give them a proper try. I really didn't like what I got in the Cocoro Function, so I didn't try any of the others.

If this whole thing is publicity stunt then it's genius, as I'm about to give it a chance again. But I doubt a honest man like yourself would do such things. You hear that, cynical me?

As for why I think these videos have become less popular, it can only be one thing.

This OriginalRen guy has become kinda stale. You should start over fresh, make a new incógnito account. Maybe name it OriginalRun.

Don't kick the guy while he's down  :(  :(  :( 

I think with visual novels already having a niche community it's only natural that the stream-viewing community for it is even more niche (for reasons others have stated such as people wanting to read translated VNs for themselves rather than watching a Let's Play of it). A niche within a niche. I like the word niche. But yeah it'll be very hard to get the exposure you want ><.

You mention that one of your intents was to help promote the games + translation groups; if so, I think your Community Spotlight videos will work wonders more for that than your Let's Plays.