Deciding on a VN to Translate

As Mephisto said, translating something as large as Aiyoku no Eustia might be problematic for a first translation. While we would still like to translate Aiyoku no Eustia, choosing something else might be a more viable alternative. 

I talked it over with my team, and we've settled on some criteria. We think that the ideal visual novel for us should contain some of these traits below.

1. It should be between 15000 - 30000 lines (Because we only have one translator)

2. It should have either no or low sexual content (Since no one on our team wants to translate that)

3. It should have a branching plot (That makes it more enjoyable for everyone to read, and we can also release a partial patch when one route is finished)

4. And it should have relatively easy to understand Japanese (This one's pretty obvious)

Since very few visual novels meet all of those criteria, we only require that suggestions meet two of the four criteria above. 

Also, the visual novel needs to be interesting above all else. I really don't want to be translating something mediocre. Your suggestion should be something you enjoyed and think we will enjoy.

When replying to this post, please explain which two criteria your visual novel meets and why you enjoyed it. Hopefully we'll get some good suggestions out of this.

Best regards,

Blank Translations

I don't know the exact line count, but I believe the first game in the Tiny Dungeon series should fit most or all of your criteria: http://vndb.org/v3767

This VN would have the benefits of being somewhat short, and not particularly well known. By all accounts it's quite funny and entertaining, so it might be a good title to cut your teeth on. Maybe give it a read and see if it's something you'd like your group to take a stab at.

There is always Oniichan Sharing to be translated :) But then again its nukige so mostly H-scenes xD

Also nosferatu no omocha... http://vndb.org/v12290 .. .but thats also a nukige xD Damn

- but if you decide to do those, I have the scripts and hacking ready for it :P

On a serious note, as mentioned you can never go wrong with Yuzusoft moe games :)

Like this one: amairo islenauts http://vndb.org/v12167

But only translate a game you actually like.

I still think you should continue with your Aiyoku no Eustia project and just ignore those Elitist. But If you decided to go with something else than those suggestions above seem like a good choice (Tokyo Babel and Negai no Kakera to Hakugin no Agreement). They don't have any H-scenes, they seem to have branched plot and true, I am not sure about the lines I doubt that they have over 40k. Also, they definitely seem like a great story. Tamayura PS2 version from Akabei Soft 2 falls under those categories too. I haven't read them myself as my Japanese is not that good yet to be able to read untranslated VNs so you might want to read them for yourself before taking upon a project of translating them.

But if there weren't for those elitists they wouldn't search for something else to translate in a first place.

Please stop with the flaming. You're not doing anyone any favours.

On a side note, I would like to append - all and any - 'Cube' games to my previous recommendation. They are very easy reads, though they typically stretch past the 30k line limit you are requesting. At the same time, though, I imagine there aren't many games that are sub-30k lines while still having a plethora of routes.

What about translate game so are partial translate, like this one http://vndb.org/v223 and finish translate it, like that you get to teach more about translating, so you can translate longer game in the future.

I imagine it'd be hard to get the scripts from the original TL group, as they pretty much disappeared off the face of the planet.

It's not that I don't want to translate Aiyoku no Eustia, I just think that I need to be a little more realistic about what I can do. Please don't flame this thread. I'm just asking for some suggestions here, so there shouldn't be any reason for this to get off topic. 

Sorry for going off topic I was just irritated at how they treated you in a previous thread. Well did you decided on a new title to work on?

Have your translator read the novel prior to translating it. It's not the smartest to pick up a work that the community suggests. They haven't read the work, and they don't know about the writing of the work. Only your translator will know whether he likes the work [so he finishes it], and whether he can handle it in a reasonable time frame. If he'll spend several hours a day on translating, then don't do it. Translation should take no more than an hour a day, otherwise you'll only get burnt out. 

If your translator won't be relying on a dictionary, then translate a moege, or something with very simple vocabulary. If your translator will be relying heavily on a dictionary, then aim for middle-tier to higher-tier works. As ridiculous as this sounds, but it'd be simpler to machine translate Aiyoku no Eustia over a more difficult moege because of how precise Eustia's writing style is. There's no chance of misinterpretation when it comes to a giant chunk of hiragana. Your translator at the least, should be familiar with the basics of Japanese grammar. 

More than anything, keep in mind that translation projects fail because most groups never get anywhere after the first thousand or so lines. Ask your translator whether he's truly fine with dedicating an hour, or whichever time period it takes a day to get his lines done. I'd strongly urge you to not announce everything until you already have everything in place. A chosen work in addition to the scripts already extracted and hosted, alongside a rhythm of translation. If you choose a 25000 line work, and if your translator averages 120 lines a day, that's still 208 days. 

208 days is nearly two-thirds of a year. Is your translator willing to dedicate an hour or so a day, for the remainder of this year, and then some?

If he finds a work that he likes, and if he's resolute about wanting to finish it, then announce the project. If not, then it's best not to get the hopes up of the community. 

how about picking up the dracu-riot! translation

I heard that tl team which translate that visual novel just retire recently.

it would be a great honor if you complete it :)

I would avoid that because we have no idea what is going on right now and he still might be working on it.Plus you would never get the unreleased parts

I'll be sure to read whatever our group decides on before we translate it. With that said, I'm still going to poll the group for what I should read first. This is just because it will take me longer to read a Japanese VN than an English one. Again, your suggestions don't need to meet all of the criteria I put out in the first post. As long as they meet some of the criteria, then we'll consider it.