Fixes to common problems with Visual Novel Reader

thx for ur help I almost removed everything. Just have on the 3rd one something. Also I realized that some User Comments have better translations than the ones in the blackbox. Im currently using "LEC"? Maybe I dont really now how to activate it tbh, but I think Im using that. Do u have any recommendings for me which translations or s.th like that I should use? And also how to remove that thing on the 3rd place, dunno which language that is but I disabled anything except english.
kGPnfdH.png

15 minutes ago, Moeface said:

thx for ur help I almost removed everything. Just have on the 3rd one something. Also I realized that some User Comments have better translations than the ones in the blackbox. Im currently using "LEC"? Maybe I dont really now how to activate it tbh, but I think Im using that. Do u have any recommendings for me which translations or s.th like that I should use? And also how to remove that thing on the 3rd place, dunno which language that is but I disabled anything except english.

Maybe the 3rd one is still there bc the guys that made the subs (I can't tell what language is this either) didn't change their language so maybe they are stored under the english ones. If that's the case... well, I have no idea how to block them.

And if the comment ones are better you can turn them on again, but, again, the ones that submited them made them comments and not subs so there's no way to put them on the blackbox.

LEC seems to be active already (seems to be the last line). But if there's fan translations already (the second line), LEC won't be needed. Except if the fan translation is partial.

Lastly, if you want ONLY the comments, if those translations are really the best ones and assuming it covers the whole game, you can turn them on and disable community subtitles and machine translations. Disable game text too if you want to get ride of the first japanese line.

Edited by MaggieROBOT

Just now, Moeface said:

Oke, I think I got the gist out of it. Im really thankful for ur help. One little thing: Should I change my Internet Connection to online or offline?

You're welcome! Leave it online only if you're planning to use online translator like google or bing. If not, it doesn't really change much.

Ye I thought so but it seems like the LEC Translations are mostly meh, there are the comments way better. Also dunno which one translated that but in the black box the red font that u can see in the picture I sent above,  the translations are very good. But sadly it seems like that they dont go throughout the novel

23 hours ago, MaggieROBOT said:

If you don't plan to make any subtitles, you can safely ignore it, since the machine translation or jp parsing will work anyway.

But if this really bugs you, do this: click the game icon in the spring board, then click "info" in the bottom of the spring board, then click "edit" in the bottom of the window, select what's already there and click "remove", then click "add" and type the right name or the URL of where you bought the game (you must select the right site!).

I change it, but vnr interpret original

vmQv7rC.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello everyone!

After looking up a lot and fiddling around, I have found out most things about what to do. First I only got Japanese text like @cryofrzd but I figured that out by installing LEC and tbh, enabling something I do not remember.

Anyway, now I have got this: https://imgur.com/a/aO6Ht

But on a youtube video someone managed to get the translated text inside the VN's own text box (the red one): 

Does anyone know how I can enable that? I'd love it if I could just have the one textbox in the game itself.

Thanks very much in advance,

- DiaborMagics

• 1 month later...

I am very new to this, and for the past few days i have been trying to make this work. I have followed every instruction i could find on the internet and still can't make it work. The problem i am having is that vnr.exe won't open. I double click on it, it loads for half a second and nothing happens. I disabled my anti-virus, tried to run it as admin, tried to open it through task manager, even tried running it in windows safe mode, i also vent through all folders and files. Can someone please give me some advice on how to make it work? I have found this from 2015 and the guy seems to have had a similar problem: https://github.com/rayNymous/annot-player/issues/33

I also tried it on another pc and it works fine.

Edited by LichLord22

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 4/5/2018 at 11:53 PM, DiaborMagics said:

Hello everyone!

After looking up a lot and fiddling around, I have found out most things about what to do. First I only got Japanese text like @cryofrzd but I figured that out by installing LEC and tbh, enabling something I do not remember.

Anyway, now I have got this: https://imgur.com/a/aO6Ht

But on a youtube video someone managed to get the translated text inside the VN's own text box (the red one): 

Does anyone know how I can enable that? I'd love it if I could just have the one textbox in the game itself.

Thanks very much in advance,

- DiaborMagics

if you found how to do this can you tell me too?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I normally use the VNR to translate JP VN's and it works pretty good.

My preferred translator beside Atlas and LEC is "Excite.co.jp". But since a few days this one doesn't work anymore.

Atlas and LEC and also infoseek that I tried work fine but got excite.co.jp  I do not get any translation during

the game , only a "..." when it's involved in the original sentence. I checked the website (still online) and the link and everything looks fine.

Does anybody know how to solve this ?

*update*

I also tried to use just the machine translation function and it looks like this :(:(

https://ibb.co/yBFmxnF

• 2 months later...

So guys I need help...

Im trying to play evenicle 2 with VNR but the dialog other than a single line will duplicate

For example

"I know you" will TL just fine

But

"I know you

You are that guy"

That counts as 2 lines and it will repeat 3-5 times and its making me dizzy

If there is a fix pliz help

• 2 months later...

Hi guys I have problem with certain VN with VNR.
Reason why I said certain VN cause this only happen to Kin'iro Loveriche. I just finished read 9-nine ep. 3 without any problem. 

Problem : 
This normal translation which appear in one box but after reach certain text which like this appear VNR decide to split it become 3 different text box.
It's kinda annoying everytime text like that appear I must scroll it or drag it down to see previous text box. 
Is there a way to fix this problem? :rubycry:

This is my VNR text setting

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Hey everyone. Just dropping by this thread to warn people that any issues logging in and submitting or updating subtitles/the shared dictionary are normal. The Russian vnr.aniclan servers expired around three days ago which is why trying to connect to it won't work. A Chinese group who was working on VNR updates notified the ones who were hosting/paying for the server but in case there's no response there might be another migration just like the one from sakuradite to aniclan.

EDIT: The aniclan domain was restored. There should be no problems anymore.

Edited by Nanami Pyon

On 2020/1/1 at 1:45 AM, Nanami Pyon said:

Hey everyone. Just dropping by this thread to warn people that any issues logging in and submitting or updating subtitles/the shared dictionary are normal. The Russian vnr.aniclan servers expired around three days ago which is why trying to connect to it won't work. A Chinese group who was working on VNR updates notified the ones who were hosting/paying for the server but in case there's no response there might be another migration just like the one from sakuradite to aniclan.

EDIT: The aniclan domain was restored. There should be no problems anymore.

Can you update subtitles/the shared dictionary?

I can't update now

• 2 weeks later...

So around last week, I started a new game, and I checked the shared dictionary, but there were no terms for said game, so I added some to improve my Google Translate translation (I made those terms private). Note that, when I opened the shared dictionary that day, I could see the terms I had added for another game I played back in November (but I don't remember whether I saw other people's entries). I think I also updated the dictionary. When adding my own entries I waited until it said "saved".

But a couple of days ago, I couldn't even see those entries I made. I update the dictionary once again and I got nothing, the shared dictionary is empty. I still have the .xml file in /Caches/Sync and apparently it's full of the missing entries (I can't say for sure my old terms are there though). Today I not only tried updating the dictionary once again but also using the "Reset" option which should "redownload the entire data", and it seems to try to do just that but in the end I get the message: "Failed to download terms online; Something might be wrong with the Internet connection". But I'm certain that there's nothing wrong with my connection, I get logged in upon opening VNR and I try switching its connection in Preferences off and on again and it says I'm connected to the internet. Oddly enough, it lets me add new terms, and after closing and opening VNR and trying to update the dictionary again, my new entry is still there.

Is there something wrong with the server right now, is my .xml file corrupted or something (it was last updated on January 10), should I just wait a few more days for this to be resolved? Or is the dictionary gone forever? I also tried logging in on http://vnr.aniclan.com/ and loading my gamedic.xml file with the "Load dictionary" option but something went wrong (this was before I tried adding a new term just now; the file updated and now only contains one term! which was successfully loaded on AniClan).

Edited by pillstrom
update