Fixes to common problems with Visual Novel Reader

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/12/2017 at 1:47 AM, lalal44 said:

can you help me how to fix this game text is ignored for being too long (>50)  ? 

I just finished that VN a few weeks ago and I didn't have any problems with it. Are you sure you have the correct text threads selected. I seem to remember some difficulty getting it to hook initially. I don't remember exactly but I would check to see what text threads you are getting and fix them if needed. You may need to removed duplicate characters or tell it to keep specific threads.

For anybody have problems with VNR updating the dictionary terms as of today, it's because the VNR servers are down. You will have to wait for them to come back up. Unfortunately you can't update terms or access the dictionary(other then offline terms) if the servers are down. I don't even think you can add any terms since VNR won't save them locally. You can add terms but they will be lost as soon as you restart VNR.

On 10/3/2015 at 3:51 AM, doppel222 said:

Is there any other get the /h code from the game? 

ITH and VNR won't work.

Game name: Watashi ga Suki nara "Suki" tte Itte! Demo

I used VNR to read Watashi ga Suki nara "Suki" tte Itte! full version and it worked fine. I don't remember if it needed an H-code or not but you can find out through the side bar. Bring up the side bar by hovering over it and go to Menu---> Text Settings. Once you are in text settings, click the H-code box and use the drop down menu to see if any codes were entered recently. If so, select the H-code and then click save.

On 10/25/2015 at 11:02 PM, Simon said:

I just installed VNR with Flyable Heart. It did not find the game in the database, and the in-game popup lacks the Menu button on top - the topmost button is Option. Is this fixable? Alternatively, is there another simple visual novel that is better recognized? I don't care what it is, I just would like to find something simple to help learn Japanese.

I read Flyable Heart ages ago. I think I used a partial machine translation patch that was available.

On 12/26/2015 at 10:43 AM, salty said:

Hi, I'm kind of new to this VNR thing... I'm using it with Arcana Famiglia and I successfully installed the game into the springboard and all but the translations won't appear at all, though the side menu is working fine..

Here's the link to a post in my twitter with some pictures regarding the problem:

https://twitter.com/ciirnoe/status/680775544934301696

Thanks in advance! :D

And for anybody else not getting text from a game. Make sure you use the side bar and go to Menu ----> Text Settings and see if any text is showing up. If you are not getting text, minimize the Text window and click through the game a few times to advance the text. Sometimes with VNR if you don't minimize the text window before clicking through the game, VNR will not show all available text threaeds. You may also need to check the H-code tab and see if anybody has entered any H-code. Sometimes VNR won't always use the H-code for a game when you first start it up. If anybody has entered an H-code recently it may show up in the drop down box. If you are getting text make sure to set the proper window to "Dialogue" then hit save. Next go to Options using the side bar and make sure "Machine Translation" is selected. Finally, if you want to use Translation Aggregator in tandem with VNR make sure copy to clipboard is selected. TA and VNR with show different translations even with the same translators because they use different scripts. This can be useful because sometimes the older scripts work better.

On 4/22/2016 at 5:18 PM, SnowsBlaze said:

Hey guys my VNR wont show text bar when i go into full screen mode when ever I try to go into full screen mode.

I mean it works when its in windows mode but when i switch to full screen mode for the vn is just disappears entirely.

Can someone help me figure out whats wrong with it?

I never play full screen but if I remember correctly you have to run the game as admin and also run VNR as admin. If you dont run BOTH as admin, it will break various features of VNR. For example VNR won't even see the games exe and will fail to hook any text. 

Sorry if you can't make sense of any of this, I'm not really great at answering technical questions. I hope it helps though. VNR can be a pain to learn to use but once you figure it out it does a great job translating VN's.

Edited by Hatesu
corrections

Can someone help me? I have the problem that i can not install kanjidic. I had the same problem with edict, and solved it by downloading the Edict folder from someone other. Could there be someone who would share his Kanjic folder with me?

Nevermind. The problem was solved.

Edited by Draugarnor

Hello there, I am also having a problem with VNR, but I suspect that it could also be caused by the fact that the VNR servers are down.

I am currently playing Omerta: Chinmoku no Okite using an ongoing community translation (so its not 100% translated)

Around 2 weeks ago upon playing a character route that was supposed to be fully translated, the community translations stopped appearing at some point and I tried removing the game from the springboard in an attempt to solve the problem, but when I try to re-add the game into the springboard, VNR says that it "does not find this game in online database". This does not happen the first time I added the game to the springboard.

A solution is much appreciated, but for the time being I'll keep an eye on the current server problems.

7 hours ago, Lefterstein said:

Hello there, I am also having a problem with VNR, but I suspect that it could also be caused by the fact that the VNR servers are down.

I am currently playing Omerta: Chinmoku no Okite using an ongoing community translation (so its not 100% translated)

Around 2 weeks ago upon playing a character route that was supposed to be fully translated, the community translations stopped appearing at some point and I tried removing the game from the springboard in an attempt to solve the problem, but when I try to re-add the game into the springboard, VNR says that it "does not find this game in online database". This does not happen the first time I added the game to the springboard.

A solution is much appreciated, but for the time being I'll keep an eye on the current server problems.

Did you try to add the game with the wizard? This works better than simply dragging the icon. And also, remember to do this with the icon of the clean install version, not a cracked one.

Also, I kinda found the VNR subtitles files in my PC, and since I played this game a while ago I can give you the subtitles I have. Maybe this will solve your disappearing subtitles problem (usually, this problem solves itself when you restart VNR and you turn your internet connection off and on again, but...) What I have is:

Full Tachibana's, Kiryu's and Ugajin's route, half of Azusa's route, almost nothing of Master's, Luca's and Liu's route (if I recall correctly).

Edited by MaggieROBOT
Damn, why am I typing it all wrong lately???

16 hours ago, MaggieROBOT said:

Did you try to add the game with the wizard? This works better than simply dragging the icon. And also, remember to do this with the icon of the clean install version, not a cracked one.

Also, I kinda found the VNR subtitles files in my PC, and since I played this game a while ago I can give you the subtitles I have. Maybe this will solve your disappearing subtitles problem (usually, this problem solves itself when you restart VNR and you turn your internet connection off and on again, but...) What I have is:

Full Tachibana's, Kiryu's and Ugajin's route, half of Azusa's route, almost nothing of Master's, Luca's and Liu's route (if I recall correctly).

Each time I tried adding the game I go to the wizard and let VNR detect the game by selecting the game window. I've actually never tried dragging the icon....

If i want to revert it to a clean install version, should I simply delete the crack files or should I reinstall the entire game though?

I guess I'll do some more attempts and once I get pretty desperate (previously I had quite the struggle to make the game work properly, too) I would really appreciate getting those subtitle files....

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, Veshurik said:

Ugh, that's annoyed me... How can I fix that? Text variants doesn't help.

Double Text

I'm not sure what exactly you're refering to double text, so...

1) If the problem is that each and every japanese character is duplicated: When the novel is open and running, go to te side menu, and go to "Menu" then "Text Preferences". Check the second "Eliminate infinite repetition..." and/or the third option "Ignore infinite cyclic repetition", and then save the changes in the blue "SAVE" button in the top left.

2) If the problem is that the game text is there in the subtitle box: when the novel is open and running, go to te side menu, and go to "Option" then uncheck "Game Text", the first option on the left.

3) If the problem are those blue and green lines that are almost the same: Each one of those lines is for a different dictionary. Disable one of them if you want to see only one translation.

On 22.06.2017 at 3:57 PM, MaggieROBOT said:

If the problem is that each and every japanese character is duplicated: When the novel is open and running, go to te side menu, and go to "Menu" then "Text Preferences". Check the second "Eliminate infinite repetition..." and/or the third option "Ignore infinite cyclic repetition", and then save the changes in the blue "SAVE" button in the top left.

Yeah, that function doesn't help, unfortunately. I don't know what to do :(

3 hours ago, Veshurik said:

Yeah, that function doesn't help, unfortunately. I don't know what to do :(

I'm not sure if this will work, but in the text preferences screen (the same one of this option) look at those box with the game text. And mark as "dialog" one that doesn't have duplicate text then save. If the right box didn't appear, advance the text a bit until it shows.

On 25.06.2017 at 10:11 PM, MaggieROBOT said:

I'm not sure if this will work, but in the text preferences screen (the same one of this option) look at those box with the game text. And mark as "dialog" one that doesn't have duplicate text then save. If the right box didn't appear, advance the text a bit until it shows.

I think I should wait until full version of game. Maybe, text in that will show OK. That doesn't help too.

On 5/11/2014 at 5:00 PM, cryofrzd said:

1. Not that lucky? Then we have to get the /h code with ITH
  2. Quit Visual Novel Reader (right click on springboard, choose "Quit") open up the game and ITH and in it open "Process", choose the game process, click "Attach" and then "OK" 

Can we get the H-code with ITHVNR  ? 'cause ITH is not compatible with Windows 10 

Edited by FizzyJuice

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, d99558 said:

can someone tell me how to solve this:

the game is 癒しの女神の実験台(モルモット),

but VNR interpret 女装学園(孕).

If you don't plan to make any subtitles, you can safely ignore it, since the machine translation or jp parsing will work anyway.

But if this really bugs you, do this: click the game icon in the spring board, then click "info" in the bottom of the spring board, then click "edit" in the bottom of the window, select what's already there and click "remove", then click "add" and type the right name or the URL of where you bought the game (you must select the right site!).

Hello! I also need help, if possible. This is the first time that Im using VNR bcs I cant wait for Aokana Translations anymore. So I tried using that but there are so many translations that its kinda annoying. How can I remove them ? I only want english and srsly dont need that many just a little bit. Would really appreciate ur help!9AZlrqm.jpg

10 minutes ago, Moeface said:

Hello! I also need help, if possible. This is the first time that Im using VNR bcs I cant wait for Aokana Translations anymore. So I tried using that but there are so many translations that its kinda annoying. How can I remove them ? I only want english and srsly dont need that many just a little bit. Would really appreciate ur help!

You can disable other languages in this screen (click preferences in the spring board):

65Gz-cfXGIw.jpg

Also, since it seems there are multiple english translations as well, I recommend turning off user comments under "options" in VNR side menu (the one on the side of the window when the novel is running).

Edited by MaggieROBOT