Common Visual Novel Traits

OriginalRen

The title of this thread might be confusing so allow me to explain. What, if anything, do you find to be a common trait when it comes to reading visual novels? This can relate to comedy, action, themes, or anything really. I seem to notice a lot of trends when I read visual novels so I wanted to ask what everyone else thought about it. Keep in mind, I didn't use the word "stereotypes" here because while these are common trends, I'm not aiming to criticize any novel.

That being said, what do you think? Here are some examples (putting aside the obvious) that I feel I have noticed:

• The line, "It can't be helped." This is common in a lot of VNs (and anime) I feel.
  • Masochism and sadism. Every single VN I play somebody (either the protagonist or one of the heroines) mentions this in some form or another I feel. It's interesting to see that this is a big thing for a lot of games.
  • Complete heterochromia iridis. A lot of characters exhibit this trait in VNs and anime I feel, though not all.

仕方ない, usually translated as 'it can't be helped' is a statement of resignation in Japanese that is so common at all levels of Japanese society that it is impossible to avoid.  It can refer to taxes, work, natural disasters... or your friendly neighborhood extreme nationalist chapter/Emperor worshipers.  Just give up, it is everywhere.

*Stupid/normal/average protagonists who are beloved for no apparent reason from the beginning.

*tsundere

*lolis in VNs up to a few years ago

*kyonyuu (massive breasts) in newer VNs

*donkan (dense) protagonists

*DIDS (damsel-in-distress syndrome)

Stories focused around a circle of characters, rather than a series of events.

Staying mostly in one location, where slice of life hijinks can be crammed in.

Relationships (connections) between minor characters, coming full circle.

Often neglecting to hint at the plot properly within the first 100 pages.

Lots of dutch angles of characters in CG's, especially with the advent of widescreen VN's.

Because 99% of the time you don't see the protag's face. In most visual novels anyway.

It's like face design in Skyrim.

There's no point.

duh....there is....vn nowdays hve a cg or two tht describe a bit bout the protag....hm..Forterial,Grisaia n Koiken.

so i wanna at least the protag's face a lil bit unique like in Grisaia.

duh....there is....vn nowdays hve a cg or two tht describe a bit bout the protag....hm..Forterial,Grisaia n Koiken.

so i wanna at least the protag's face a lil bit unique like in Grisaia.

It's not strictly an obligation but yeah I'd very much prefer so.

Besides, some VNs like KnS 2Rewrite, or LB! already let you interact with/through him.

Stories focused around a circle of characters, rather than a series of events.

Staying mostly in one location, where slice of life hijinks can be crammed in.

Relationships (connections) between minor characters, coming full circle.

Often neglecting to hint at the plot properly within the first 100 pages.

Lots of dutch angles of characters in CG's, especially with the advent of widescreen VN's.

Interesting you mention the Dutch angle bit. I have noticed that too now that you mention it.

No parents ever.

Truth.