Weapons and heroines

Clephas

Poison is more of an elegant solution, though- anyone can tell you've been murdered if you're killed by a sniper rifle, but poison doesn't leave traces on the body, and the victim generally won't realize until it's too late. It's cliche, but at least in my country, it's not like anyone would get an autopsy anyway.

Most importantly, it feels like you've beaten the person intelectually. You can just poison them without them noticing it, say good night with a smile and be confident they'll be dead by tomorrow. Well, it also depends on how potent the poison is and how long it takes for it to get working, though. 

Make that a poisoned needle and it's perfect. You need to be more flashy even if you're going to poison someone, a battle where you have no odds of losing is boring.

lol... the katana is a technological wonder, from a pre-industrial standard. The idea of wrapping a hard edge around a softer core to create a weapon that both has a sharp edge and won't break the first time it hits something hard was revolutionary, and it also happens to be a idea that no other culture figured out.  Part of this is because iron was so rare in Japan in the first place, leading to innovations in how to best use what was there, and another part of this was that the 'armor races' we saw in the West never occurred in Japan.  Katanas are made for cutting through exposed flesh and the curve in their edges makes them ideal for slashing.

Most 'kazu-uchi' (mass-produced, usually in a hurry) katanas were basically an iron edge wrapped around a bronze core.  Very simple, but the edges nicked easily when they hit bone.  Masterwork katanas usually utilize alloys and techniques thought up by master-smiths that let the edge hold even when it contacts bone or armor during a slash.  However, the basic idea of wrapping a harder metal around a softer one to form an edge is still the basic methodology. 

Edit:  Incidentally, another huge advantage to using a softer core in a katana is that katanas are lighter than weapons of a similar size in the west.  This allows them to be used longer, for quicker strikes, and more control.

what? technological wonder? revolutionary ideas? katanas are lighter than weapons of a similar size in the west (whaaatt!!??). this is really bad Clephas. this is not a topic about swords so i will leave it but pls, don't spread lies. 

for japanese warriors, that aaamaaazing katana wasn't even a primary weapon. they used kanabō, naginata etc. they would not last long with the katana in a real fight. 

the katana was a symbol of caste and tradition. it was a weapon, you use in duels, not in a real fight. 

Spears, naginata, and pikes were the primary weapons of first-choice for a samurai in battle.  Using a club or an axe, similar to a sword, required the samurai to get closer to his enemy, thus making him more vulnerable to those with a longer reach.  Also, I never said that the katana was a samurai's primary weapon, I merely mentioned its advantages as a sword.  Swords have rarely been a primary weapon in battle by any force (with the exception of some two-handed swords such as the greatsword, certain large claymores, and the like).  I said that the forging methods used in the katana were unique and amazing amongst pre-industrial cultures.

Also, the katana started out - like most swords - as a weapon of last-resort, when the haft of their spear, pike, or naginata broke or they found themselves otherwise weaponless. 

Edit:  Incidentally, the kanabou is basically a large club with an iron sheath and spikes or studs... and it was rarely used simply because of the sheer strength it required to use it effectively.  It was a given that most common soldiers wouldn't be able to use it, and even a person with a naturally large frame would have difficulties wielding such a weapon effectively past the initial blow.  The spear, the pike, and the naginata, all of which were lighter and had better reach, were the common weapons of those fighting in Japan during the feudal era.  The katana/wakizashi combination we are so familiar with from samurai movies and the like only became a near-absolute standard after Tokugawa formalized the status of the samurai as a warrior caste.  The katana was also more effective as a weapon for police forces in the large cities, as longer weapons tended to be difficult to wield in confined spaces in comparison.  That, and the duels were the reason for the ridiculous degree to which kenjutsu developed in the centuries after the end of the warring states period. 

Last, the main reason that all born samurai were trained in multiple weapons, including the spear and the pike, was because one of the duties of a born samurai who wasn't a daimyo was the direct training of foot troops and militia in the use of the 'simple' weapons.  The naginata, which requires more skill and training to use effectively than the spear or the pike (not to mention that it was mostly a cavalry weapon) was not a good choice for the training of new recruits.  While samurai were warriors, it was almost unheard of during the warring states period for a fighting force to use them as its primary force, though archer units tended to have a higher ratio of samurai to ashigaru than in the spear or pike units.  Samurai were officers, champions, and drill sergeants all in one (though a skilled/experienced ashigaru would be set to training the troops in a more established force, with the necessary wealth to maintain a large semi-professional force). 

Incidentally, I am aware that the jutte (the blunt-tipped sword-breaker like weapon) was used almost universally (both along with a katana and by itself) by agents of the shogunate, from the lowest ranks to the police force, to the palace guards (even palace guards were frequently denied the right to possess a katana in the presence of the shogun).  The katana was only used by the samurai caste, whereas many magistrates were not necessarily of the warrior caste.  The jutte both served as a badge of office and as a weapon in emergencies.  It was not meant to serve the same function as a sword-breaker, though popular myths would have it so.

I said that the forging methods used in the katana were unique and amazing amongst pre-industrial cultures.

you are so wrong. do i really need to bring sources? technology which japanese used, was known in europe or asia. the katan is not a technological wonder. it is a quite heavy sword. just a sword. 

that's cool you bring all that things about police etc. it changes nothing. the katana is not a technological wonder. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLWzH_1eZsc#t=0

oo and i could not stop myself:

you pointed out that katana is lighter and you got more control and overall upper hand. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X010NRiFbI

I'd love the combo of Katana and Revolver really. Got decent range and stopping power, not too bad for close quarters, and then the katana completes it by being both badass and extremely practical at close range, or if you just run out of ammo. I'd go for just killing people. Mainly bad guys, but I'm not too fussed personally. As long as they're not lolis. Or moe. Or just cute and awesome.