Dischan starts kickstarter for Dysfunctional Systems ep 2 and 3

Zakamutt

There's a new artist, which seems to turn batman off a bit. Idk myself, didn't actually read the first episode yet. backed it myself, because yay good WVNs! :P

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dischan/dysfunctional-systems/?ref=fuwanovel

(note I just fucked around with the referrer thing for my amusement, no idea what it will actually do)

I adored the first episode and was really looking forward to future installments. However, Doomfest's art was something really unique and one reason I was so drawn in to Dischan's work. I'll still likely give a pretty good amount of money for this, but I'm really disappointed that the art isn't quite up to Doomfest's level, and that they are going from 5 episodes to 3. If the next two are as short as the first, I'm really going to get burnt on this. 

Well, it's canadian dollars. Technically it's only like, 45k :P

The bar does seem to be set pretty high, but I'm not sure if it's too high yet. Only time will tell, I guess... Anyway, the beauty of this kickstarter for me is that one of the reasons I haven't read dyssys 1 yet is the potential lack of a continuation. This goes through, it will probably happen, and i'll be able to read ep 1 immediately through the 30 CAD option.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still incredibly suspicious of that graph. $20,000 for the art... and $10,000 for the writing. Is he paying himself to write using kickstarter funds? Something seems fishy about this. The art to writing cost ratio seems high, considering he's one of the writers. In fact, the cost to product ratio in general seems high. 

But I wish them the best. The more english made VNs the better. 

*Goes back to looking at that piechart.*

I'm still incredibly suspicious of that graph. $20,000 for the art... and $10,000 for the writing. Is he paying himself to write using kickstarter funds? Something seems fishy about this. The art to writing cost ratio seems high, considering he's one of the writers. In fact, the cost to product ratio in general seems high. 

My game developer colleague (not related to dischan) explained that this is enough for a year salary of an indie game developer. This is probably the only income that the team can have and they are putting all their time and resources on this so I can understand why the funding is huge.

I have played Juniper's Knot, but have not played DS because of continuation.  The old art style was excellent, but comes no where near being close to what makes a VN great in the first place.  I went ahead and gave a quick donation before the expiration, so that I may get a download of the first one, which I'll be happy to continue with in the future.

It depends on people's stance on the matter as well. Many folks here know I build VNs in my own time. I've been doing it since college many years ago. Back then, there was no such thing as kickstarter, so I did everything myself (and the outcome was terrible of course). Now I fund my projects by having a day job and then working on my games when I'm home. The freelancers are paid. I get paid when the work is done. That's the generation I grew up in so maybe it's different now. I'm interested in kickstarter, though it's more for promotion than anything else.

As for the $20k art, the kickstarter was for two episodes, right? So that'd mean more illustrations. Let's say it costs $200 per CG (that's quite a lot unless it's some truly famous artist). For 20k, that means about 100 CGs? There'll be complications but you get the general picture. I hear there might be animated sprites so that'll make costing more complex.

I wasn't commenting about the 20k for art, but rather the 10k for writing. Most of the money spent on games is for the Art and audio. Writing is normally an insignificant amount.

Especially when you're one of the writers yourself, like Miller is (Miller's down as one of the writer's for the project.)

That's what's fishy.

I wasn't commenting about the 20k for art, but rather the 10k for writing. Most of the money spent on games is for the Art and audio. Writing is normally an insignificant amount.

Especially when you're one of the writers yourself, like Miller is (Miller's down as one of the writer's for the project.)

That's what's fishy.

VNs aren't really games anyway (#opinions), and there's going to be a lot of writing in a VN compared to a game of equal length.

I see the costs given as basically providing for the creators' living expenses (Miller himself is graduating from uni and doing this full-time soon, apparently). Also, a different person than Miller will likely do about half the writing, so there is that.

--

Anyway, funded 137%! Not too bad, though I'm sad to see we didn't get them animated sprites. Oh well...