Do you read VN first or do you watch anime first? Why?

Okami

65 members have voted

1. 1. Do you read VN first or do you watch anime first?

• I watch Anime First
    • I read VN first
    • 50%-50%

This poll is closed to new votes

I always read the VN first, and I almost always ignore the anime adaptation (except for a few animes I have seen before I discovered VNs). Such adaptations are awful most of the time, and even if they are actually watchable, the are always weaker then the original (almost no exceptions), so watching them is simply a waste of time for me. And when I skimmed through Ef - a Tale of Melodies after reading the VN, I decided not to touch anime adaptations ever again, so I kinda automatically blacklist them now (even in case of most H-animes).

Well, I prefer VNs as a medium to begin with.

I usually prefer to read the VN instead of seeing the anime. It's a lot longer and therefore more fun out of that VN, if I see the anime I will get spoiled in content. 4 hours compared to ~30 hours. Additionally I just prefer the way they tell stories in VN's. It's like I have a great Anime, but it lasts 5 times longer. It does have less animation, but it overcomes that with monologue and more talking that you could "never" put into a anime.

I might see the anime afterwards, but usually not. Because... Vn>anime usually imo. There are exceptions but that's usually the case.

I try to read the VN first, because that if you watch the anime first, you already know what to do and the VN it's not that fun... But, when you play the VN first, the anime it's like a plus to the story, like watching it with other eyes... 

If I had to choose one option I would be 50/50, because that if the VN isn't translated or it's too hard to read in japanese, I usually drop it and go to the anime (like Hoshizora e kakaru hashi).

I usually watch the anime first because that's originally how I hear about the VN. Recently though I have been reading the VN first but that's usually because there is no anime adaptations for it like Rewrite, If My Heart Had Wings and Tsukihime. I watched the first few episodes of Little Busters while it was airing and I went to read the VN and I have no regrets. 

50/50. The order doesn't really matter to me as I will enjoy both versions to their fullest. Since I watch more animes than play VN I usually go ahead with anime first but there's not a big reason for it. As for preferences, I dislike discussing which version is superior. Animes have their own rules so they are bound to have flaws in their adaption, but I usually overlook those without having to tilt my head. I try to stay optimistic and not turn into one of those "boo the adaption sucks, source is much better because xxx" (tbh this is stating an obvious fact).

I don't watch anime much, and when I do it's mostly VN adaptations, so normally it's a no-brainer for me - VN first. Recently however Little Busters EX began airing, and I was tempted to watch it despite the fact that I haven't read EX. I decided against it though, and from what I've heard I made the right choice.

I personally like to watch the anime after because the anime, due to limitations in length, is more of a recap than anything.

Agree 100%. I allways read the VN before. I had a bad experience with chaos head, ever since I first read the vn and then I see the anime.

it's a shame that g senjou no maou has no anime.

Heres how I have gone for LB!

I first watched the first season, then I jumped to VN to read 7 girls routes, then after I finish them before reading true ending I will watch the second season of the anime that is adoption of true ending then I will go back to reading VN version of true ending. Then I will be waiting for LB! EX to come out to watch it (That is adoption of additional 3 routes) after which I will go to read VN ME edition that has those 3 additional routes (assuming it gets translated till then).

I try to read the VNs first, because I can choose the girls I prefer in the VN, the anime chooses only one, and sometime the choice really dissapoints me... look at Shuffle for instance;

I'm glad I played the VN for that first, I could choose my favorite (Kanade) before seeing the dissapointment that was the anime. Asa?? Really?? C'mon...

I definitely go for the visual novel first if I can help it. This is mainly because the visual novel is essentially the full package, and honestly if I watch the anime first, I might not get motivated to read the vn.

Plus usually the visual novels tend to have better art/music at times. 

I always read the visual novel first, if I can, since it has more content. And only if I really liked it, I watch the anime adaptation some time later.

It's different with manga though, for example. I usually watch the anime first, since it has much more content than the manga itself (excluding the story, of course). That's the thing I like about visual novels - while you read it first, you not only get more plot, but also the sounds and visuals.

I try to read the VNs first, because I can choose the girls I prefer in the VN, the anime chooses only one, and sometime the choice really dissapoints me... look at Shuffle for instance;

I'm glad I played the VN for that first, I could choose my favorite (Kanade) before seeing the dissapointment that was the anime. Asa?? Really?? C'mon...

In my opinion Shuffle! is one of those rare titles where Anime adeption is far superior from the original VN.