What Are Some of Your Favorite Movies?

nohman

Besides VNs, one of the other things I consider an interest of mine is film. So, I thought it might be fun to create a topic discussing just that. To better focus the discussion, what are some of your favorite movies and maybe some of your thoughts on them? I'll start. The following aren’t arranged in arranged in any way, with exception of number one. I tried to pick these out with some variety in mind, so I attempted to reign in titles from any niche genres like all the crappy handheld horror movies I enjoy. I failed a little on that one.

1)Lost in Translation (2003)

It’s a movie that I saw at the right time.  I suppose it thematically clicked with my adolescent brain.  It has charm, hosts some very pretty shots, has Bill Murray and a young Scarlett Johansson, is paced suitably well, and has Bill Murray. I’ve used it as my go to “let’s watch a movie at my place” date movie a number of times, so it also has some sentimentality too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_maEh38ZTw

2) Ikiru (1952)

My favorite Akira Kurosawa film, though he has a number of movies that nip at Ikiru’s heels. It’s a touching movie about a Japanese bureaucrat who struggles after he finds out he has cancer.

3) [REC] (2007)

One cam horror movie had to make its way onto this list. The genre is too much of a guilty pleasure of mine not to. Taking a step back and just thinking about it in terms of quality – not only against other movies of its kind, but also in general, it pretty much had to go to [REC].

4) Drive (2011)

This movie and just how much I enjoyed it surprised the hell out of me. The opening sequence is probably my favorite out of any movie and I can’t think of one that’s nearly as intense or thrilling. It’s a brutal movie and has some cool shots.

5) Whores’ Glory (2011)

It’s a documentary with no narrator, no moral of the story, and no cause other than giving viewer the chance to peek into the lives of prostitutes in 3 different countries. It’s a little numbing and totally bleak.

6)Blade Runner (1982)

It’s a sci-fi classic. I don’t think I need to go on too much.  The last chase scene sits pretty vividly in my mind and Rutger Hauer’s speech is haunting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_saUN4j7Gw

7) A Clockwork Orange (1971)

I love this movie. My friends and I have dressed up likes droogs for group costumes a number of times.  I wouldn’t say it’s Kubrick’s best work, but it’s my favorite.

8)Night of the Living Dead (1968)

I saw this movie when I was five and it started me along the path of horror fandom. I was utterly obsessed with horror movies as a kid and I’m still now very much a fan of the genre.

9) Drunken Master II (1994)

My favorite Jackie Chan flick and one I’d be comfortable calling his best. That final fight scene is one of my favorites out of any martial arts film.

10) Noroi: The Curse (2005)

I wanted to list a Asian horror film and I ended up sneaking in another horror documentary. You can find the whole movie on Youtube if you're interested in watching it.

That was harder than I expected. I feel like I neglected so many good films. :unsure:

So, what are some of your favorite movies?

It feels almost as if you got this idea from my anime movie thread.  If so, I demand to be credited for the birth of the idea...or something like that. ^_^

Teasing aside, I have to say: oddly enough, I'm a huge fan of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy.  I also really enjoyed Fifty First Dates, it was a pretty touching movie of loyalty and love.

I have no idea how many times I have watched The Big Lebowski by now. :lol:   Timeless classic.

I used to watch a lot of movies, but there haven't been a lot of recent movies that have interested me so I find myself not watching as much.

I'm a big fan of Woody Allen, the Cohen brothers and Terry Gilliam among others.  Also a fan of old school Arnold Schwarzenegger movies, and Bill Murray is one of my favorite actors ever.  A few of my favorite films :

Hanna and Her Sisters, Manhattan, Fargo, Raising Arizona, Back to the Future trilogy, the original Star Wars trilogy, all Monty Python movies, La Haine, Army of Darkness, Happy Gilmore, Commando, Total Recall, Conan the Barbarian, the Pink Panther series, Pulp Fiction, Kikujiro no Natsu, Seven Samurai, Kagemusha, and a lot more.

Also, in the spirit of the season, my timeless christmas classic, Scrooged :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5s-xArZvjo

• 3 weeks later...
  • Ichi the killer
  • the vengence trilogy
  • branded to kill
  • sanjuro, or basically anything by Akira Kurosawa
  • cure (1997)
  • battle royale
  • the evil dead (all three films)
  • drunken master, also little big soldier
  • un chien andalou
  • a clockwork orange
  • shaun of the dead, and hot fuzz
  • killer bride's perfect crime

Too many others to list

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If regarding asian cinema:

I am a big admirer of Wong Kar Wai and his artistically melancholic movie-style: for example

- Ashes of Time

Most movies in my collection are korean. Favourites are

- Memento Mori

- Cyborg She

- ...ing

From Japan high lights are:

- Goth

- Way of the Blue Sky.

Regarding Western cinema some silent film classics like

- Nosferatu

Or for recent ones:

- Cashback

- The Virgin Suicides

- Pan's Labyrinth

Just on a side note: Is there an american audience for Bud Spencer / Terence Hill movies?

Guest hairybumslapper

- They Live

- The Thing (1982)

- Big Trouble in Little China

- Christine

- District 9

- Elysium

i love John Carpenter's earlier work. Neil Blomkamp is great as well, but i'm still waiting on district 10.