[Submission] Username and User Title Changes

Tay

Maybe it could be given as a reward! For either working on the site, or reading Batman's blog, or making a walkthrough, etc."

We'd need a list of applicable deeds-rewards, but I think title changes are fun and should be encouraged, even at low post numbers.  (Members with 500 posts clearly deserve them, and should be rewarded for their participation by being able to change them at any time)

I HAVE A BLOG!? Well well well

I like the rewards idea to encourage member contributions to the site. Posting walkthroughs, submitting news, giving away a frick ton of games, helping in the tech support forums should all be things to reward. 

Or helping on the Facebook page. It saddens me that people care so much more about changing their name thrice a month to their favorite Touhou character of the moment™ - sorry for the oddly specific mention Kaguya, but that's how I feel about name changes - than spreading the news and love of the hobby we all claim to share.

I HAVE A BLOG!? Well well well

I like the rewards idea to encourage member contributions to the site. Posting walkthroughs, submitting news, giving away a frick ton of games, helping in the tech support forums should all be things to reward. 

I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about ;) .

You're right, those are all worthy of rewards.  I'm still working out good systems of doing so -- a badge system is a big project and may not be ready soon -- but certainly things like name title changes are worthy (if inadequate) gifts to those with low post #s.

All ideas welcome.  Thanks for the input, all.

I like the rewards idea to encourage member contributions to the site. Posting walkthroughs, submitting news, giving away a frick ton of games,  POSTING LOLIS, helping in the tech support forums should all be things to reward. 

there, fixed it for you :)

- and I agree!

Oh, thanks a bunch Naomi -- I wanted to comment on this!

500 posts is a lot.  I realize this.  Originally in my head, I was thinking, "How could a user change their user title before 500 posts?  Maybe it could be given as a reward! For either working on the site, or reading Batman's blog, or making a walkthrough, etc."

We'd need a list of applicable deeds-rewards, but I think title changes are fun and should be encouraged, even at low post numbers.  (Members with 500 posts clearly deserve them, and should be rewarded for their participation by being able to change them at any time)

Here~

Kaguya's "Good Deeds" suggestion list~

I also think that you shouldn't need to post all that much to be able to have a personalized title. I want that members with 500+ go back to being able to change them at any time, though.

1_Helping out on the main site/blog

2_Making (3? 5?) Walkthroughs or FAQs

3_Adquiring over a certain amount of Rep, maybe? What about 15? not so certain about this one.

4_Doing something else to actively help community (e.g being a "cool words spreader" for the facebook page)

I guess that should be fine? Or maybe ad something else?

And about Steve's post, they could appear somewhere, but not on the posts because my name change log is too big :P

I remember being called Nakanishi Kaguya, Kaguya, Kizami Nanaya, Suwako Moriya, Suwako, Kaguya, and now Yuyuko. And there may be something that I forgot. It would be a bit bothersome for the ones reading. Maybe it could appear on the profile? Making an option like "name change log" or something.

The whole concept of post count being the basis of a title somewhat irks me.  I don't see the need for it, but that's you guys.  This time, I will use me as an example: I do a good bit of stuff that isn't related to the forums, so yeah, my post count is low.  But thing is: hey, I earned every single thing I wear here.  In response to Nayleen's comment: in fact, the very thought that somebody would complain about me having a title makes me want to bash some heads out of sheer frustration and butthurtdom.  I post this personal remark publicly to ensure that the sheer disapproval of those individuals who said that can be clearly shown.  Before you complain, consider just what it is you're complaining about and the validity of that complaint, please?  (Friends, feel free to censor or delete that paragraph) 

Anywho, personal matters aside, back to business: the idea of rewards for "deeds" is absolutely, 100% awesome.  Please make that list.  ^_^

And about Steve's post, they could appear somewhere, but not on the posts because my name change log is too big :P

I remember being called Nakanishi Kaguya, Kaguya, Kizami Nanaya, Suwako Moriya, Suwako, Kaguya, and now Yuyuko. And there may be something that I forgot. It would be a bit bothersome for the ones reading. Maybe it could appear on the profile? Making an option like "name change log" or something.

Luckily it probably only keeps the ones you kept for some normal amount of time, there actually is list in profile, for you it shows this

Yuyuko Saigyouji Kaguya Today, 05:59 AM

Kaguya Yuyuko Saigyouji Nov 05 2013 07:59 AM

Aya Kaguya Sep 20 2013 09:48 PM

Kaguya Aya Sep 20 2013 09:24 PM

The whole concept of post count being the basis of a title somewhat irks me.  I don't see the need for it, but that's you guys.  This time, I will use me as an example: I do a good bit of stuff that isn't related to the forums, so yeah, my post count is low.  But thing is: hey, I earned every single thing I wear here.  In response to Nayleen's comment: in fact, the very thought that somebody would complain about me having a title makes me want to back some heads out of sheer frustration and butthurtdom.  I post this personal remark publicly to ensure that the sheer disapproval of those individuals who said that can be clearly shown.  Before you complain, consider just what it is you're complaining about and the validity of that complaint, please?  (Friends, feel free to censor or delete that paragraph) 

Anywho, personal matters aside, back to business: the idea of rewards for "deeds" is absolutely, 100% awesome.  Please make that list.  ^_^

No, absolutely!  You're a great example of why we should be handing out title changes as rewards:  you do a ton!

The reason for the fixation on post count is disappointingly simple:  it's pretty much the only way the board software has at its disposal to "allow" a user to change their title, or not.   It's a software limitation, sadly.

The whole concept of post count being the basis of a title somewhat irks me.  I don't see the need for it, but that's you guys.  This time, I will use me as an example: I do a good bit of stuff that isn't related to the forums, so yeah, my post count is low.  But thing is: hey, I earned every single thing I wear here.  In response to Nayleen's comment: in fact, the very thought that somebody would complain about me having a title makes me want to back some heads out of sheer frustration and butthurtdom.  I post this personal remark publicly to ensure that the sheer disapproval of those individuals who said that can be clearly shown.  Before you complain, consider just what it is you're complaining about and the validity of that complaint, please?  (Friends, feel free to censor or delete that paragraph) 

It would indeed be very silly if someone actually complained about it xD

But yeah, being able to earn title with contributions is probably the best way,

- 500 posts already is some contribution (although in case of some people not so much :P)

- I don't want rep to actually have any more rewards as the rep itself already is a reward so I wouldn't put title for rep

- Other notable contributions in support section, walkthrough section etc. should give it too on case by case basis

Luckily it probably only keeps the ones you kept for some normal amount of time, there actually is list in profile, for you it shows this

Yuyuko Saigyouji Kaguya Today, 05:59 AM

Kaguya Yuyuko Saigyouji Nov 05 2013 07:59 AM

Aya Kaguya Sep 20 2013 09:48 PM

Kaguya Aya Sep 20 2013 09:24 PM

Those were the latest ones. The ones I mentioned where from a longer time ago~

But, Aya, huh? Thinking on it, I did change my name to that.

About Naomi's post- I'm 100% certain that's right. Titles should be available to everyone who has done a good thing, but, I think posting is also a good thing for the community. I mean, we wouldn't be here if it weren't for all of our members, right? it's because we have so many amazing people with amazing ideas and because they share them that we're here right  now.

So, I think making titles available for everyone who has done a significant amount on posting is a completely reasonable thing. There may be other things that also deserve it, and they should also be rewarded, but I don't see why stop making post account the default for title changes~

Or helping on the Facebook page. It saddens me that people care so much more about changing their name thrice a month to their favorite Touhou character of the moment - sorry for the oddly specific mention Kaguya, but that's how I feel about name changes - than spreading the news and love of the hobby we all claim to share.

Hm... This is kind of an extra, I'd say. Changing names and titles is something I enjoy, but it's not the main point.

As I said before, I can't help with facebook since I don't have an account, but I do plan to help out with other things as well. I'm still going to keep posting on the blog, I'm currently doing some walkthroughs (it took me long enough to start them~ though it may take a while for me to post them here, since ShinKiss~), I'm still brosing through the technical help threads to see if there's still a FAQ needed and such.

Yes, there are bigger and more important things than chaging names, but, just because there's a bigger issue, that doesn't mean that we can't address a smaller one :P

I do apologize for always causing trouble, though.

I think rewarding the title change is better than post count. There's probably several helpful members who don't post a lot. This way it also encourages people to help out with the site, posting tutorials and what not.

I think that the title change with 500 posts system has a few problems. Mainly, because it encourages spamming. Secondly, it's a bit unfair to those that don't post that much. So the idea of the titles being given as a reward sounds like a really good idea.

Why not both?

I do think posting is helpful by itself. The forums wouldn't sustain themselves without it.

At the same time, there are tons of different ways to help, and they also deserve getting a title. I can't see why we should restrain ourselves with only one method.

I'm with Steve on this

500 posts is worthy of a title change, however like in Naomi mentioned there are users who contribute a lot to the forums without posting a lot of stuff, those should be taken in acount as well.

Rep should not be a factor in this because the rep is a reward in itself, and if you're making it a factor for a title change i feel like this is encouraging people to beg for likes which is something i do NOT want to see on the forums at any point in time. You earn your rep you don't beg for it, and recieving it is a great gift on its own.

FAQs and Walkthroughs should be taken in account, perhaps each walkthrough or FAQ should earn you a higher amount of posts? instead of just 1. That's just my opinion. Because I don't know how you're going to check for who contributed the most.

And of course posting lolis should earn you everything and anything you desire

That's how I feel. 

It would indeed be very silly if someone actually complained about it xD

But yeah, being able to earn title with contributions is probably the best way,

- 500 posts already is some contribution (although in case of some people not so much :P)

- I don't want rep to actually have any more rewards as the rep itself already is a reward so I wouldn't put title for rep

- Other notable contributions in support section, walkthrough section etc. should give it too on case by case basis

I think this would be a fine way to do it. Something along these lines would be a good idea and would encourage a more open community as well.

The only problem there might be with post count having an influence is that it might encourage spamming to beef up your stats.

On that case, just report a post that you think is spam. It shouldn't take much for the moderators to delete it. We could also start frowning upon spam more than what we do atm. I think spammers will be quickly dealt with.

The only problem there might be with post count having an influence is that it might encourage spamming to beef up your stats.

As Kaguya said, spammers are dealt with individually, things like double posting and repeated off topic posts should just be reported and they'll be deleted. We already look down on spammers and this 500 post limit already existed previously and it didn't cause an uproar so I don't see any issues with it.

Actually, I think name-changes aren't a good idea, though title changes are fine.  If you (Tay) were to suddenly change your name, I wouldn't know i wanted to listen to what you had to say.  In reverse to the more common line of thought, I think that people should be able to change their names... up to fifty posts.  When they pass fifty posts, they should lose the ability to change their name, in exchange for the right to change their title.  That way, they can exercise their creative urges without confusing people who want to be able to identify them and their posts.

Stipulation: If the name itself is somehow problematic or becomes offensive later, allow them to change it on a case-by-case basis.

Actually, I think name-changes aren't a good idea, though title changes are fine.  If you (Tay) were to suddenly change your name, I wouldn't know i wanted to listen to what you had to say.  In reverse to the more common line of thought, I think that people should be able to change their names... up to fifty posts.  When they pass fifty posts, they should lose the ability to change their name, in exchange for the right to change their title.  That way, they can exercise their creative urges without confusing people who want to be able to identify them and their posts.

Stipulation: If the name itself is somehow problematic or becomes offensive later, allow them to change it on a case-by-case basis.

That's definitely a wonderful alternative to everybody else's proposals.  I like your line of thinking, Clephas.

+1 Naomi vote for Clephas' idea

That's definitely a wonderful alternative to everybody else's proposals. I like your line of thinking, Clephas.

+1 Naomi vote for Clephas' idea

It's a good idea, but Tay already said that the only way they can limit people's ability to change their name or title is either to have admins do it upon request, to set a frequency limit, or a minimum number of posts. (Unless I misread something)

It's a good idea, but Tay already said that the only way they can limit people's ability to change their name or title is either to have admins do it upon request, to set a frequency limit, or a minimum number of posts. (Unless I misread something)

That's actually not entirely true.  You forget: we have the world's finest programmer here with us *points to Nayleen*  That'd be a really simple alteration of the forum's code.