What VN/anime/manga surprised you the most (good or bad)?

laiktail

We all have those which are like, "this is definitely going to be stupid..." and then they turn out to be masterpieces! Similarly, we might have those anime or VNs that we say "are going to be mindblowing (good)" and then turn out to be mindblowing (bad).

What are some of your surprises? :D 

For me, the one that surprised me the most was the very first visual novel I played - Kanon. When I first saw the art, I literally burst out laughing because I thought that their facial proportions were so ridiculously wrong that I actually played on just to see if it could get any better. I had no idea about the Maeda Jun method of plot stories before then, so I was completely blown away by the amazingness of Ayu's route. :o

Another amazing surprise was The World God Only Knows (KamiNomi), which I read as a joke at the start because the premise was ludicrous, but...then, it turned out to be a truly godly manga that I read to this day. It's STILL godly. 

The first time it happened with a visual novel for me, was probably the first one I played, Clannad.  I had already seen the anime first and loved it, but after playing the visual novel for about two routes in a row I couldn't believe how much I was enjoying it.  
As for anime there are two that come to mind, them being Clannad and something I don't hear a lot about, Lovely Complex.  I have a STRONG history of not liking romantic comedies and slice of life because most of the time they feel very cliche to me.  But out of all the ones that I've seen the only ones that I've enjoyed FAR more than any of them were those two.
But for bad anime....demonbane....merely because it was a horrible adaptation of a great visual novel.

Ever 17. It was my first visual novel and I played it because I didn't have anything better to do, lol. Didn't expect it to like it that much. Also, despite that I don't really like lighthearted space operas, I liked the Galaxy Angel series quite a bit. Gameplay was no Homeworld, but it was pretty decent, if a bit on the easy side.

On the other hand, I hated Phantom of Inferno on every level. Annoying format, so-so voice acting (the narrator was an exception: he literally put me to sleep), bland characters and a marked inability to decide what the hell it wanted to be: It failed as a crime drama AND as a Bourne-style thriller... it's really hard to take it somewhat seriously when the main bad guy is SCYTHE MASTER, and the badass drug dealer dresses like Sephiroth going to a 19th century party, and I'm supposed to believe that guy makes moves in Colombia lol.

I was really surprised and disappoint by Ef - A Fairy Tale of the Two (VN). I didn't really enjoy it and many people seem to think it's the best this since sliced bread. Same deal with Ever17.

I was pleasantly surprised by how good the first season of the Ef anime was though, even if the second season wasn't nearly as good.

• 1 month later...

What surprised me most? One of the last things said in G-senjou no Maou, and a massive twist:

"I'm seven, daddy."

Since what had before been a massive tear-jerker, suddenly became something bittersweet and happy with just a few words.

On my first read, my brain didn't even process the "daddy"-part, but I still realized exactly what it meant, because of how much time that had passed.

What surprised me most? One of the last things said in G-senjou no Maou, and a massive twist:

"I'm seven, daddy."

Since what had before been a massive tear-jerker, suddenly became something bittersweet and happy with just a few words.

On my first read, my brain didn't even process the "daddy"-part, but I still realized exactly what it meant, because of how much time that had passed.

Same here for me. For a moment I was pissed off because I thought she might have been the daughter of the guy the Kyousuke wanted to look after Usami but then it clicked and I was ridiculously happy. I'm not sure why I doubted Usami.

I always remember that feeling when I listen to the ED "Close Your Eyes". It's one of my favorite songs now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDncTmbLwf4

I'd say Ever17 took me with a storm, I'm really happy I actually picked it up. I now consider it as one of the best VNs. I swallowed it in three-four days, don't think I need to say I pretty much didn't do anything else.

The biggest disappointment for me must have been Qualiaffordance, I really had my hopes high, it had animated scenes, promos showing yandere scenes, Aoba Ringo voiced imouto, everything it seemed. Unfortunately it was rushed, predictable and without originality.

"I'm seven, daddy."

I knew she was Kyousukes child. The moment she showed up I just had the feeling. Haru would never marry someone else. And then she says 'I'm seven, daddy' and the dam is broken.

This scene is my favorite in any VN.

I was waiting for it. The moment I saw her I just had a feeling that she's his daughter

I was recommended Fate/Zero multiple times, and praise surrounds this anime from lots of reviewers. After a year of procrastinating it, a friend of mine whose anime tastes I respect recommended it to me. At which point I decided to download the first season and watch it. I wasn't just disappointed, I was thoroughly disappointed with it. I expected a series impeccably well written, philosophical, and an analysis of humanity. Instead, in my opinion I was given pseudo intellectual bullshit. As custom I've noticed with Urobuchi, his writing tries to be philosophical, (and in his defense it is a bit), but it never feels appropriate and often pretentious. It's the pretentiousness of it that had me label it as pseudo intellectual.

Also King Arthur as a girl! Are you fucking kidding me? It's not only King Arthur whose mythological character was completely butchered, but most of them!

I would go on, but I'm not reviewing the series so I'll abstain from ranting. 

P.S. I'm sorry to fans of Fate/Zero for my admittedly rude comments of the series. But I really expected great things from it, and the disappointment upset me a lot.  

Also King Arthur as a girl! Are you fucking kidding me? It's not only King Arthur whose mythological character was completely butchered, but most of them! 

In Urobuchi's defense, gotta say that

King Arthur's thing as well as her motivations

were not his fault. Hell, Fate/Extra does something even more lulzworthy with Red Saber... but Red Saber is hilarious.

Rider is a true bro, though. Best character is best.

In Urobuchi's defense, gotta say that King Arthur's thing as well as her motivations were not his fault. Hell, Fate/Extra does something even more lulzworthy with Red Saber... but Red Saber is hilarious.

Rider is a true bro, though. Best character is best.

I know the King Arthur problem is the fault of Type moon, so that one complaint actually wasn't directed at Urobuchi. You mentioned Rider, wasn't he Alexander the Great? I was disturbed with his characterization as well, as what they depicted him as looked nothing like the Alexander I've seen from statues.

However, Rider as an independent character was alright. Honestly, the show would have been a bit better imo if they didn't use actual ancient heroes and epic heroes. If they created their own characters with different names the series would have been a bit better, (and more tolerable for me) imo. However, they insisted on using these mythological heroes, yet it's as if they did no research about these figures at all. The least they could have done was remain faithful to the descriptions and characterizations of these heroes from the cultural mythologies they came from, yet evidently they didn't put the least bit effort to do that. 

Honestly, the show would have been a bit better imo if they didn't use actual ancient heroes and epic heroes. If they created their own characters with different names the series would have been a bit better, (and more tolerable for me) imo. However, they insisted on using these mythological heroes, yet it's as if they did no research about these figures at all. The least they could have done was remain faithful to the descriptions and characterizations of these heroes from the cultural mythologies they came from, yet evidently they didn't put the least bit effort to do that. 

That might be true, but personally, I don't have much of a problem with it unless the characters are boring/uninteresting, and there are some of those in the Fate series. Not like they couldn't include fictional "heroes" anyway, the fate series does play very loose with its own (clusterfuck of) rules. I do kinda agree with the pseudo-intelectual bullshit criticism though, you only watched the first season but in the second one there's a slippery-slope argument that is just cringeworthy.

I know the King Arthur problem is the fault of Type moon, so that one complaint actually wasn't directed at Urobuchi. You mentioned Rider, wasn't he Alexander the Great? I was disturbed with his characterization as well, as what they depicted him as looked nothing like the Alexander I've seen from statues.

However, Rider as an independent character was alright. Honestly, the show would have been a bit better imo if they didn't use actual ancient heroes and epic heroes. If they created their own characters with different names the series would have been a bit better, (and more tolerable for me) imo. However, they insisted on using these mythological heroes, yet it's as if they did no research about these figures at all. The least they could have done was remain faithful to the descriptions and characterizations of these heroes from the cultural mythologies they came from, yet evidently they didn't put the least bit effort to do that. 

It's a work of fiction it doesn't have to look like the original person besides he looks way better than statues.

Rider is like one of the best anime characters too bad he isn't in the VN.

However, they insisted on using these mythological heroes, yet it's as if they did no research about these figures at all. The least they could have done was remain faithful to the descriptions and characterizations of these heroes from the cultural mythologies they came from, yet evidently they didn't put the least bit effort to do that.

I don't think it was a matter of research, but rather artistic license.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm a Shocking Manga/VN and manga huh..
Im sure everyone will have one that will..

Well of course its the same for me.
For Visual Novels it would have to be....Hoshizora no Memoria, I normally go into Visual Novels without much interest but when I completed my first route and saw "Her", I couldn't stop playing it.

Manga...Hmm I guess it would be Nazo no Kanajo X(Mysterious girlfriend x)...At first I was just going to see how funny this manga would be when it revolves around Saliva, But instead it became my Favourite . I don't tend to keep track of manga but its different for this.

Anime..I have watched more anime then I have played/read Visual Novels/Manga..So ofcourse there will be more occurrences of shock xD.

Well firstly the series I couldn't wait to watch, Blood-C completely obliterated the feeling of watching it..It is the only series I have dropped and never looked back.

The second series that I remembered that I wanted to watch badly was Cubed3 or C3....But I really didn't enjoy it in the end xD.

The series I didn't have much faith in and tried it later would have to be....Kiddy grade as I cant remember any series for this example..I didn't fully enjoy the first few episodes but gradually liked it.

There are a few more but this would get too long..xD

• 2 weeks later...

Not too long ago, I decided to read BTOOOM!, mainly because it reminded me of Battle Royale. I had my doubts going into it, since it seemed like a pretty stereotypical action manga, but I was pretty surprised by how much I liked it. Sure, it isn't the greatest thing I've ever read, but if nothing else the characters were insane enough to be interesting.

As for disappointments, I have a VN example. I spent months waiting for the Yandere patch, because yandere heroines are basically an instant sell for me. And while there were some good moments in it, I remember staring at my computer after I 100% cleared it and thinking, "Wow, that was...not worth the wait."