FFXV VS Persona 5!

Arsudar

FFXV definitely. I'm planning on getting a ps4 just to play the game [i haven't bought any form of gaming device for the last decade]. Plus FF7 remake is coming out next year march i think, FF7 was the reason i bought a ps1 :wahaha:.

I love the FF series and i only missed out on the online games and FF13 :kosame:. Never played persona so no opinion there :sachi:.

Ps: I just realised you didn't answer your own question haha, which one are you getting first? @Arsudar

Not that I've seen much of FFXV, but certainly Persona 5. The style, the premise, the characters, the gameplay- They took Persona 4 Golden (my third favorite game of all time) and they utterly destroyed every single one of my qualms with it (save for the fanservicey scenes, but I digress), and incredibly improved the things they did right as well. I'm 100% positive that Persona 5 is going to be a very, very special game.

I'm trying to hold down my hype for Persona 5, I fear that it will become my No Man's Sky. I absolutely fucking loved Persona 4 and think the trailers for 5 look excellent. 

Now I'm not really a fan of Final Fantasy, may have something to do with my introduction to the series being through the Spoony Experiment:makina:. Although the very little I have seen of FFXV has me a little interested in it.

Who can say? We need to wait until both are released, so we can make an accurate judgement.

By the way, I went back to replay P3 / P4 lately...and I realized they have little replay value. I mean 90% of the fun of them is the story, 5% of the fun is the characters, and 5% is the combat. So if you already know the story...I got like 3 hours into each and just quit. I find they didn't age too well.

As for the best days of Final Fantasy behind it? You realize people have been saying that since FF6, right? Every time a new FF releases, "Final Fantasy's best days are behind it" since the 90's. I personally really enjoy FF13's series, both from a combat perspective, and a character perspective. Lightning is probably the best FF Female.  Infact she beats everyone in the popularity poles.  :P

Persona 5 isn't coming to PC either, as far as we know, so that's a huge negative point in my opinion. Every other JRPG series is coming to PC, Star Ocean, Tales, FF, ect. Persona 5 is going to be the last holdout.  I'm excited about it, but honestly I was surprised how boring I found Persona 4 when attempting to replay it. I remember loving it to death at the time I played it.  Now when I try to pick it up again, I forgot how tedious the combat is, how tedious the dungeons are, and how I've always found social links headache inducing as someone who likes to do all the content. It seriously gives me headaches.   I did watch the anime like year or two ago and really enjoyed that. I felt it adapted the story pretty perfectly, a rarity in such things.

FFXV, while controversial, and confusing from what I've seen so far, every reviewer who has gotten their hands on it has said they were completely blown  away with how much they came away liking it, when they went in expecting to hate it.

Thing to me is, if Persona 5 continues the P3/P4 tradition of randomly generated dungeons for story content, I might not bother with it. P3 did it only for training, the main story took place in unique settings / dungeons. P4 just used this endless TV world where everything looked the same. It was super tedious.  That said, I have hope they won't repeat that...because I'd honestly say they're worse than Call of Duty if they copy and paste dungeons again.

2 hours ago, Mkilbride said:

By the way, I went back to replay P3 / P4 lately...and I realized they have little replay value. I mean 90% of the fun of them is the story,

You don't play Persona because you want an 'ace story'. They're dungeon crawlers/dating sim hybrids, since when did either of these genres place huge emphasis on 'plot'? Remember, a dating sim is not a VN, they emphasise different things.

2 hours ago, Mkilbride said:

As for the best days of Final Fantasy behind it? You realize people have been saying that since FF6, right?

FF7, which is also about when they stopped making great RPGs. 10 was about when they stopped making good RPGs (#debateable.) And 13 was an abomination ... even though some people like it.

But considering Square Enix really want to tell interactive movies instead of designing great RPGs, people who want a really involved story will feel quite happy with them in their current state. The linearity of most of the first FF13 game irritated a significant number of RPG fans, and the terrible cliche'd 'fixes' they applied to 13-2 were eye-roll worthy. By Lightning Returns people had pretty much given up, which is sad because that was probably the best RPG of the lot. They didn't have a good return sales wise either. By late 2014 the 13 'trilogy' had shipped 11 million copies ... but that's the TRILOGY. For 3 games, for Square Enix's flagship title, it's pretty poor. Also the sales for each game have been in decline, only 350,000 copies of Lightning Returns was shipped in its first week compared with over twice that number for 13-2. And reportedly the original 13 shipped 3 times as many as its sequel. So calculate the drop off rate, and you're looking at Lightning Returns shipping about 1/8th the copies FF13 did in launch week. Last time I saw the figures 13 sold something like 6.5 million copies, 13-2 sold 3 million, Lightning Returns flopped (which is sad because like I said, it's probably the best RPG of the three.) People were not happy with this edition of Final Fantasy, and SE have been doing a lot to appease fans for FF15. It looks like it'll be pretty decent imo.

Final Fantasy 7 sold a million copies on Steam, which means Final Fantasy 7 in its original state will could theoretically still compete sales wise with 13. Well, at least Lightning Returns. Without a console version also. The Remake is going to blow away the latter FF games.

They should also stick with a combat system. It's been no secret JRPGs have been desperately trying to figure out how to evolve their traditional turn based combat system. FF12 had a basic action RPG system, 13 had something completely different, 15 is going to be different again. They need to stick with one type and the evolve it with each iteration, not chop and change for every game. It'll never be refined that way.

On 8/30/2016 at 3:44 PM, DharmaFreedom said:

FFXV definitely. I'm planning on getting a ps4 just to play the game [i haven't bought any form of gaming device for the last decade]. Plus FF7 remake is coming out next year march i think, FF7 was the reason i bought a ps1 :wahaha:.

I love the FF series and i only missed out on the online games and FF13 :kosame:. Never played persona so no opinion there :sachi:.

Ps: I just realised you didn't answer your own question haha, which one are you getting first? @Arsudar

Yeah sorry bout that :)

Personally I have more feeling toward Persona 5. I played both FF and Persona, both are fantastic. But then everything with FF seems to go down in my eyes. They use the Western RPG (Hack&Slash), it's okay, but it overwhelms the heart of FF, turn-based rpg. To some turn-based may feel boring but it is turn-based element itself which forces us to think about how we should act, how we should plan our next move in each fight. Probably I prefer strategical playstyle so the hack&slash does not always work for me. Sometimes, it feels like they move FF toward Western RPG element in order to please the Western gamers.

Also another thing about FFXV reviews. I dun mean that their reviews are wrong or just for commercial purpose. But personally I think about the authors who write the reviews itself. Most authors are Western reviewers, therefore their ideas are heavily affected by Western preference. In that case, FFXV maybe appeal to their liking, but for the Asian gamers and small part of Western gamers, that doesn't mean they will please with the new FFXV.

11 hours ago, Rooke said:

You don't play Persona because you want an 'ace story'. They're dungeon crawlers/dating sim hybrids, since when did either of these genres place huge emphasis on 'plot'? Remember, a dating sim is not a VN, they emphasise different things.

FF7, which is also about when they stopped making great RPGs. 10 was about when they stopped making good RPGs (#debateable.) And 13 was an abomination ... even though some people like it.

But considering Square Enix really want to tell interactive movies instead of designing great RPGs, people who want a really involved story will feel quite happy with them in their current state. The linearity of most of the first FF13 game irritated a significant number of RPG fans, and the terrible cliche'd 'fixes' they applied to 13-2 were eye-roll worthy. By Lightning Returns people had pretty much given up, which is sad because that was probably the best RPG of the lot. They didn't have a good return sales wise either. By late 2014 the 13 'trilogy' had shipped 11 million copies ... but that's the TRILOGY. For 3 games, for Square Enix's flagship title, it's pretty poor. Also the sales for each game have been in decline, only 350,000 copies of Lightning Returns was shipped in its first week compared with over twice that number for 13-2. And reportedly the original 13 shipped 3 times as many as its sequel. So calculate the drop off rate, and you're looking at Lightning Returns shipping about 1/8th the copies FF13 did in launch week. Last time I saw the figures 13 sold something like 6.5 million copies, 13-2 sold 3 million, Lightning Returns flopped (which is sad because like I said, it's probably the best RPG of the three.) People were not happy with this edition of Final Fantasy, and SE have been doing a lot to appease fans for FF15. It looks like it'll be pretty decent imo.

Final Fantasy 7 sold a million copies on Steam, which means Final Fantasy 7 in its original state will could theoretically still compete sales wise with 13. Well, at least Lightning Returns. Without a console version also. The Remake is going to blow away the latter FF games.

They should also stick with a combat system. It's been no secret JRPGs have been desperately trying to figure out how to evolve their traditional turn based combat system. FF12 had a basic action RPG system, 13 had something completely different, 15 is going to be different again. They need to stick with one type and the evolve it with each iteration, not chop and change for every game. It'll never be refined that way.

You do realize FFXIII is the best selling FF to date, right?  You can google it, so "Poor sales" ehhh.

Also Final Fantasies have always been wildly different between each game...that's kinda the point, to not just remake the same game over and over.

1 hour ago, Mkilbride said:

You do realize FFXIII is the best selling FF to date, right?  You can google it, so "Poor sales" ehhh.

It isn't. Whoever told you that is laughably wrong.

FF7 has sold 11 million copies to date. And it was released when the gaming community was a fraction as large as it is now. And it had nowhere near the budget. Google it if you wish.

EDIT: There used to be this thing where people would misinterpret what the company said, and apply the TRILOGY SALES solely to FF13. So people would think FF13 alone had shipped 11 million copies. Others kept having to point out that's for all 3 games, not just 13.

FFX comes second, 13 comes around 4th ... possibly 3rd. Not bad, until you remember that the gaming community is much, much larger these days and the cost of production also much greater. 

Final Fantasy 13-2 is also rumoured to have used material cut from the original 13. As in, the whole reason it was made was to reuse cut assets in a desperate bid to recoup money, such was the budget of the thing. If this is true, I would wager the loss in reputation probably wasn't worth it.

1 hour ago, Mkilbride said:

Also Final Fantasies have always been wildly different between each game...that's kinda the point, to not just remake the same game over and over.

They were different in that they weren't sequels to one another and were different stories. The mechanics used to be similar though. Similar enough anyway, imo.

Persona 5 for me. While I do intend to play XV, I'm not going to be in any rush to play it. No it's not because I hated XIII, I actually liked it once the party actually got together and started doing stuff plus the battle system was pretty fun though I have a lot of problems with it such as the slow start and the villains pretty much sucking. I'm more interested in Persona 5 since it comes off as better put together while FFXV has some things that have me a little wary of paying full price for it and they are:

1) The development cycle:

Considering how long this game's been in development and changed from being an FF13 tie in to a main number has me worried as to how that effects the plot and also whether the gameplay would be good.

2) The tie in material:

With a movie and anime ova coming out prior I'm worried this will be another case of me having to look at other stuff besides the game for plot elements to make sense.

3) Not sure if the open world will be worth exploring.

What I've seen doesn't have me convinced it'll be better than the open world from the Xenoblade games.

12 hours ago, BookwormOtaku said:

Persona 5 for me. While I do intend to play XV, I'm not going to be in any rush to play it. No it's not because I hated XIII, I actually liked it once the party actually got together and started doing stuff plus the battle system was pretty fun though I have a lot of problems with it such as the slow start and the villains pretty much sucking. I'm more interested in Persona 5 since it comes off as better put together while FFXV has some things that have me a little wary of paying full price for it and they are:

1) The development cycle:

Considering how long this game's been in development and changed from being an FF13 tie in to a main number has me worried as to how that effects the plot and also whether the gameplay would be good.

2) The tie in material:

With a movie and anime ova coming out prior I'm worried this will be another case of me having to look at other stuff besides the game for plot elements to make sense.

3) Not sure if the open world will be worth exploring.

What I've seen doesn't have me convinced it'll be better than the open world from the Xenoblade games.

From the way you put the number 3 point, I can understand as "mundane and boring large open world".

I've played Witcher III and Dragon Age Inquisition and I have to say they built a pretty good large open world with contents and visuals. So I think it will be a really tough work for FFXV since the developer needs to be able to keep up with the open worlds from Witcher III or Dragon Age Inquisition. The world may not need to be super duper large, but it needs to have contents and stuffs to do within that world. If not, yes... meh open world which is not worth exploring.

By the way I dun mention Metal Gear Rising Phantom Pain cause I've played it. it will be stupid of me if I mention something that I dun really know.