Describe Your Ideal Visual Novel

Eurobeatz

Describe your ideal visual novel!

Eurobeatz's Ideal Visual Novel:

1. Has romance and violence as major themes. However, the romance must not be mushy, and the violence cannot be mindless killing; it must be for a reason. (Like Saya no Uta)

2. Has complex characters that cannot be described in three words or less. (Like Saya no Uta)

3. Has horror and mystery elements. (Like Saya no Uta)

4. Has an amazing soundtrack that not only adds to the experience of playing the visual novel, but also leads you to listen to it after completing the game. (Like Saya no Uta)

5. Has a deep story. (Like Saya no Uta)

6. Has amazing writing that uses complex words and fits with the tone of the visual novel. (Like Saya no Uta)

7. Has replay value. (Like Saya no Uta)

8. Has no gameplay elements other than choices to further the story. And aforementioned choices must be few, with each leading to a unique ending. (Like Saya no Uta)

9. Has sex scenes that have a purpose in the story. (Like Saya no Uta)

10. Has a male lead with only one romantic interest. (Like Saya no Uta)

11. Has a character with a mental disorder of some sort. (Like Saya no Uta)

12. Has art that fits the tone of the visual novel. (Like Saya no Uta)

13. Has bittersweet and depressing endings, with no "happily ever after" ending. (Like Saya no Uta)

14. Is a game that has an impact on your life. (Like Saya no Uta (for me))

15. Has a dark story. (Like Saya no Uta)

tl;dr: My ideal visual novel exists, and it is Saya no Uta.

I disagree with many of your claims about Saya no Uta, but I'm saving that for my review soon.

For me, just have a good story with art that is at least average (Higurashi is just so damned ugly imo). Don't shoehorn sex into it just to have sex in it and write an interesting story that serves a purpose.

I disagree with many of your claims about Saya no Uta, but I'm saving that for my review soon.

Out of the sixty-five visual novels that I have played (including extremely popular titles such as Kanon, Clannad, and Narcissu 1 and 2), I have felt emotions whilst playing only five other than Saya:

Dra†KoI surprised me by being a legitimately amusing visual novel, and I laughed at the jokes.

G-senjou no Maou more than satisfied my desire for a well-written visual novel containing romance and violence with Haru's route, and I shed a tear during Kanon's route.

Kara no Shoujo kept me at the edge of my seat with its wonderfully written mysteries, in which the criminal was always the person who seemingly was the least involved at the beginning.

Kikokugai - The Cyber Slayer had amazing battle scenes, and one in particular involving the CEO of the cybernetics company had my heart pounding.

Wanko to Kurasou surprised me by having interesting conflicts, and the scene at the end of Risa's route with Mikan warmed my heart.

These are the five nines on my visual novel list. While I regard them all as amazing (well, maybe not Wanko. That one is kind of my guilty pleasure.), none of them can possibly reach Saya's level in my opinion. Saya was everything I could have asked for and more.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I respect yours solidbatman. I'm interested in your upcoming blog post, and I will be sure to read it. I've never read a review of Saya that has anything negative to say, so I'm quite looking forward to yours! Even if we disagree on a few things (or more) I'll be fine with it. (Oh, and by the way, the thing I wrote at the beginning about the five nines on my list was not intended to insult you for not loving Saya, it was intended to expand on why I loved the game so much and why it is my favorite VN of all time.)

Out of the sixty-five visual novels that I have played (including extremely popular titles such as Kanon, Clannad, and Narcissu 1 and 2), I have felt emotions whilst playing only five other than Saya:

Dra†KoI surprised me by being a legitimately amusing visual novel, and I laughed at the jokes.

G-senjou no Maou more than satisfied my desire for a well-written visual novel containing romance and violence with Haru's route, and I shed a tear during Kanon's route.

Kara no Shoujo kept me at the edge of my seat with its wonderfully written mysteries, in which the criminal was always the person who seemingly was the least involved at the beginning.

Kikokugai - The Cyber Slayer had amazing battle scenes, and one in particular involving the CEO of the cybernetics company had my heart pounding.

Wanko to Kurasou surprised me by having interesting conflicts, and the scene at the end of Risa's route with Mikan warmed my heart.

These are the five nines on my visual novel list. While I regard them all as amazing, none of them can possibly reach Saya's level in my opinion. Saya was everything I could have asked for and more.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I respect yours solidbatman. I'm interested in your upcoming blog post, and I will be sure to read it. I've never read a review of Saya that has anything negative to say, so I'm quite looking forward to yours! Even if we disagree on a few things (or more) I'll be fine with it. (Oh, and by the way, the thing I wrote at the beginning about the five nines on my list was not intended to insult you for not loving Saya, it was intended to expand on why I loved the game so much and why it is my favorite VN of all time.)

Didn't take it as an insult actually. I'll put together a coherent response when I'm not falling asleep on my keyboard.

Didn't take it as an insult actually. I'll put together a coherent response when I'm not falling asleep on my keyboard.

Yeah, I didn't think you would be insulted, but I've had too many people get offended by things I've written that I did not intend to be offensive so I put that there just in case.

I would like something like Fate and MuvLuv mixed.

i love the branching changing story based on the decisions and Hard Sci-fi is gooood.

mecha is good, but so are space ships and politics

then again a good fantasy universe is always nice

tl;dr: My ideal visual novel exists, and it is Saya no Uta.

Same here, its the only novel I've rated 10/10. Although I would not agree on some points you listed.

Single interest? Harems ftw (BTW, there WAS harem in Saya, so you cannot say he had single love interest).

Gameplay is good thing, but it should not be burden. Good gameplay that actually enhances the story — Kamidori.

Happy endings > sad endings. Although sad endings are still better than stupid endings like G-Senjou and MLA. Year after finishing MLA, I'm still annoyed by its ending, such a great job ruining almost perfect game last moment.

For me, just have a good story with art that is at least average (Higurashi is just so damned ugly imo). Don't shoehorn sex into it just to have sex in it and write an interesting story that serves a purpose.

Your review where...

My ideal VN would be much more of an SoL with real life elements to them (and more preferrably, with romance). I like reading stories with minimal fiction elements. Charactes should be solid. The protagonist, the heroines, and even the side characters, should leave an impression to the reader, rather than just being there. The setting and concept of the story should be good. Good art is also a plus, as well as interface. And most of all, a well written story that has an impact. I might actually play VNs not having anything to be proud about except for its good and impactful storyline. For me, it is the life and soul of a VN itself.

Clannad is right on the mark, though I still think that some other heroines leave much more impression than Nagisa, and I still think Sunohara is the best side character ever.

My ideal VN might be closest to G Senjou no Maou. Good characters + good art + epic story + impact + Maou is really awesome!

Hard to say as the things I would change might not end up being the best thing in the end.

I was thinking about Hoshimemo where I can go for Mare from the start and is also EH fandisc in one game - but then again the stories of other characters build the story for Mare as character and are necessary there.

So I guess Hoshimemo would be the ideal VN for me if it was connected to EH Mare AS in the first game and translated straight away.

And maybe if Komomo was a loli and Asuho pettanko.

I would leave Kosame big boobed as it fits her well.

And then Fandisc would be even more stuff with Mare.

And new chapter every day with new activities and all that, like one day we would visit Paris, next day we would be in Korea cheering on the best SC2 progamers together with Mare, another day on Animelo in Japan, then some conventions. Then we would take shower together.

Then relax in hot springs together, in Japan or they are in Iceland too. Some good dinner one day. Also next day we could cook together. Then I would teach her how to play games too, hold her like this: http://s.vndb.org/sf/99/38499.jpg

And lot of other activities

And all that would be in some VR mode where I would be controlling it with brain and my brain would be getting data back to simulate exactly what is happening in the VR.

Ahh there you go, you get portion of my fantasies that I have on daily basis xD

Same here, its the only novel I've rated 10/10. Although I would not agree on some points you listed.

Single interest? Harems ftw (BTW, there WAS harem in Saya, so you cannot say he had single love interest).

Gameplay is good thing, but it should not be burden. Good gameplay that actually enhances the story — Kamidori.

Happy endings > sad endings. Although sad endings are still better than stupid endings like G-Senjou and MLA. Year after finishing MLA, I'm still annoyed by its ending, such a great job ruining almost perfect game last moment.

Saya no Uta had a harem? Did we play the same game? I can only assume that you are referring to Yoh. Fuminori was never interested in her. At the beginning of the game, he thought of her as an annoyance. After Saya

turns her into a monster

he thinks of her as only a

sex slave.

When we hear him talk about his life before the car accident, he says that the only reason he would date Yoh was to keep his group of friends stable.

I think that giving 15 points may be a bit too... much.

My ideal VN should satisfy following conditions:

1. Interesting characters, who act like sane and intelligent human beings,

2. Interesting plot, perhaps with a bit of mystery.

3. A fair balance of humor and story-driving events. Also, the humor should represent some decent level...

4. Awesome soundtrack which catches my attention and doesn't make my head hurt after few hours,

5. Long enough (at least 20h) that I will have some time to enjoy it before it ends,

6. And on top of that some high quality art, sex scenes for the purpose of story.

Everything else can vary, afterall, if we specify too much, isn't it like pointing at a single game? Afterall, isn't it sad to assume that no better VN will ever be released and perhaps make you change these statements. At least I hope, that my best VN ever is still to be found! (:

I think that giving 15 points may be a bit too... much.

My ideal VN should satisfy following conditions:

1. Interesting characters, who act like sane and intelligent human beings,

2. Interesting plot, perhaps with a bit of mystery.

3. A fair balance of humor and story-driving events. Also, the humor should represent some decent level...

4. Awesome soundtrack which catches my attention and doesn't make my head hurt after few hours,

5. Long enough (at least 20h) that I will have some time to enjoy it before it ends,

6. And on top of that some high quality art, sex scenes for the purpose of story.

Everything else can vary, afterall, if we specify too much, isn't it like pointing at a single game? Afterall, isn't it sad to assume that no better VN will ever be released and perhaps make you change these statements. At least I hope, that my best VN ever is still to be found! (:

I was describing my IDEAL visual novel, meaning I listed everything that a visual novel that I would find perfect would have. I'll admit, my post was a bit of a joke, but I was serious overall. I have yet to play a visual novel better than Saya and I don't think that I ever will. What I look for in VNs in general is:

1. Having romance and violence as major themes without being too mushy or having mindless killing.

2. Having a dark story.

3. Having good writing.

4. Having complex characters

...but a game including the other eleven points would make my ideal visual novel.

Sure, here are mine:

- An amazing soundtrack that I'd listen to over and over again long after playing.

- Characters so real and likable that a thin plot is almost a non issue.

- A story that's easy to understand and not preachy.

- Ideally nice artworks but not compulsory. As long as it's acceptable.

- No fluff (random, excessively long gag scenes) and gets straight to the point.

- Nice and short because I'm busy and my attention span is short, kid style.

:).

Infinitely moddable. In other words, the player can create as much content as they want, without causing the game to crash. Not strictly a visual novel, as there would be room for gameplay.

In this fictional "infinite story-heavy game," it might help if game and story mods were reviewed by a group of fans before they can be distributed. That would probably weed out the low quality, game-breaking, and tasteless content.

Infinitely moddable. In other words, the player can create as much content as they want, without causing the game to crash. Not strictly a visual novel, as there would be room for gameplay.

In this fictional "infinite story-heavy game," it might help if game and story mods were reviewed by a group of fans before they can be distributed. That would probably weed out the low quality, game-breaking, and tasteless content.

Sounds kind of like Skyrim.

I'll join this discussion properly later as I need to go to bed, but I'm just going to say that my ideal VN needs two things:

- Lots of Dudeness and good ol' wisdom.

- Polyamory. If you follow me on twitter you will know that I have made this statement there before. Since I'm not monogamous, getting into VNs that have romance as the main focus becomes excruciatingly difficult to me (though I do manage to do it at one point).

And yeah, I know there are plenty of VNs out there with harem endings, and I guess that's already SOMETHING... But those are almost all nukige, which just isn't as much fun. Also, it'd be nice if the girls would also get other boyfriends, because I feel that a single guy getting all the girls in the story can feel... kinda sexist. There's nothing wrong with pretty ladies having multiple relationships.

• 2 weeks later...

The ideal visual novel for me is me as the protagonist with some bad-ass super powers and one True Harem end where I could sleep with girls all over the world like Rance could. The end.

Okay, jokes aside well I was still serious back then... For me, an ideal VN is a VN that:

- Is without plot holes (it definitely cannot be called ideal without this).

- Has great music that is suitably placed.

- Has artwork that fits the atmosphere and, of course, my eyes.

- Has the main theme that is inspiring or even confronting.

- I like dark games.

- I also like light games, so comedy is a "should have".

- Makes me think and intrigues me enough that I couldn't go to sleep without thinking it over.

Well... that's pretty much :D/>

If I come up with something else afterwards, the edit button will be bullied! >:)/>

I suppose my IDEAL visual novel would emphasise infinite variation and infinite choices.

The game would have over a thousand decision points:

• At each decision point, the game would present at least 7 different choices the reader could make
  • Every choice would branch the storyline in a significant and real way. No 2 choices would lead the character down the same path.
  • You would not have access to every choice at each decision point. Some options would only be available if your character had a)certain abilities or b)specific knowledge.
  • If a decision you made leads to your death, be prepared for a fully animated and voiced lecture from Yoda: “Mind what you have learned! Save you it can!” “Told you I did. Reckless is you!”
  • Yoda would be voiced by Frank Oz!

You would have many opportunities to fully define who your character is, and this would influence HOW you get to the end of the game. It would change available romances, which options you could take at each decision point, where you hang/live/work. It would change your buddies and whether you’re married or still living with your parents. Your choice in protagonist will determine how and when you could die. So a ninja character would be able to stealth their way pass yakuza henchmen, but pelvic thrusting your way into the room to Snoop Doggy Dogg would get you a very special lesson with sensei Yoda. Unless your character is a wookiee ninja, of course.

At a random point during your adventure, the game would seek to ENHANCE your gameplay experience by pretending not to understand the choices you make. For example, it would say the word ‘menu’ is foreign to it. So is the word ‘save’ and ‘Load’. ‘Exit’ is VERY foreign, as is the word ‘mongrel-dog’.

There would be many different ways to play your character. You could be evil or good, be a savior to all or kill everyone you pretended to love. You would be able to ‘pick your sides’ yet still be able to reach the end of the novel. Evil characters would always get the better endings because, lets face it, they’re more fun and more interesting. Also, these endings would be glorious. Good characters would get the uptight endings, where they end up broke, homeless yet with all their morals intact (you’re not only playing a game, you’re getting an education at the same time!)

You would be able to design your own lightsaber.

The term ‘lightsaber’ would NOT be a clever euphemism for ‘your penis’. That is something you would not be able to design. If your character is male, the size and shape of your penis would be determined by a very rigged (heh) dice roll.

I suppose my IDEAL visual novel would emphasise infinite variation and infinite choices.

The game would have over a thousand decision points:

• At each decision point, the game would present at least 7 different choices the reader could make
  • Every choice would branch the storyline in a significant and real way. No 2 choices would lead the character down the same path.
  • You would not have access to every choice at each decision point. Some options would only be available if your character had a)certain abilities or b)specific knowledge.
  • If a decision you made leads to your death, be prepared for a fully animated and voiced lecture from Yoda: “Mind what you have learned! Save you it can!” “Told you I did. Reckless is you!”
  • Yoda would be voiced by Frank Oz!

You would have many opportunities to fully define who your character is, and this would influence HOW you get to the end of the game. It would change available romances, which options you could take at each decision point, where you hang/live/work. It would change your buddies and whether you’re married or still living with your parents. Your choice in protagonist will determine how and when you could die. So a ninja character would be able to stealth their way pass yakuza henchmen, but pelvic thrusting your way into the room to Snoop Doggy Dogg would get you a very special lesson with sensei Yoda. Unless your character is a wookiee ninja, of course.

At a random point during your adventure, the game would seek to ENHANCE your gameplay experience by pretending not to understand the choices you make. For example, it would say the word ‘menu’ is foreign to it. So is the word ‘save’ and ‘Load’. ‘Exit’ is VERY foreign, as is the word ‘mongrel-dog’.

There would be many different ways to play your character. You could be evil or good, be a savior to all or kill everyone you pretended to love. You would be able to ‘pick your sides’ yet still be able to reach the end of the novel. Evil characters would always get the better endings because, lets face it, they’re more fun and more interesting. Also, these endings would be glorious. Good characters would get the uptight endings, where they end up broke, homeless yet with all their morals intact (you’re not only playing a game, you’re getting an education at the same time!)

You would be able to design your own lightsaber.

The term ‘lightsaber’ would NOT be a clever euphemism for ‘your penis’. That is something you would not be able to design. If your character is male, the size and shape of your penis would be determined by a very rigged (heh) dice roll.

Could you even think of how much work that will cost you? If you were to pay yourself, $2 per day for creating the script. Up to how much do you think would you reach? I see this ideal is set to high that companies will have a hard time to finish such a game. (+ The production will cost too high that the game will be deemed expensive by the time it's released. It will also have great chance to not even be made.)