What language should I learn (NOT japanese or chinese!)?

Scorp

26 minutes ago, kingdomcome said:

I was going to say German, but it seems you already attempted it? I liked the language because it was relatively easy to learn and it just made sense with how it's structured. 

Americans like to suggest Spanish, but outside of the USA you never really come across it.

Yeah, I learned German in school and could ask basic things like "Wie komme ich zur XXX-Straße?" or "Spricht hier jemand English?" even now :) But you rarely find anyone who speak German outside Germany. Also in terms of art I did not found anything for myself. As usual all masterpieces were already translated and cannot find anything untranslated stimulating enough to restart my german learning.

I have no idea where you live but I guess USA or England because you learned Latin. What about Italian? I don't really know any famous writers etc. but the Italian culture is rich and dozens of famous artists emerged from Italy. There must be something of value from them except the food. But maybe they were more oriented towards paintings.

If you are interested in Indian culture Hindi would perhaps be an interesting choice. But most likely completely useless because they got like 100 different dialects of the same language.

Otherwise I second Russian too. If you ignore most of the, sorry for my expression. Retards in any game it is an interesting country with a rich culture. It is different and not Spanish or French. I think French is completely useless as a language even though it has a rich history. Spanish is better if you ever decide to visit South America.

But I am also a language hating person. I think learning something as a third language is a waste except it is Chinese, Russian or German. Something you could perhaps use in the future. But I gave you my two cents at least of interesting languages.

If you want to waste your time Swedish is excellent. You could also curse our language and its stupid rules. It would be fun.

1 hour ago, Scorp said:

Yeah, I learned German in school and could ask basic things like "Wie komme ich zur XXX-Straße?" or "Spricht hier jemand English?" even now :) But you rarely find anyone who speak German outside Germany.

I still remember quite a few things from the few years of German I took in school. What I retained best is how to count. When I visited Germany, what little I did remember actually was quite a big help, it was fun to be able to read and understand a few things.

As SilverLi suggested, Italian is a good one too.

I know Italian and I have no use for it (except for understanding all the lacuna coil lyrics lol ) I have half of my family living in italy (i'm half italian myself) and if you are not thinking of traveling to Italy then there is no use for it or I still haven't find an use for anything here... I never used it even once in my life, the truth is except for english, which is really useful in pretty much anything I do daily from watching youtube channels, listening to music, watching movies, internet, using my pc to even my school and job... I mean english is as important for me as my native language and sometimes even more and now Japanese (only for hobby but not any less important) I never needed any other language.
Russian is the only language that comes to mind that maybe would had a proper use like for some games that I really liked and never got an english version ( some weird fps or rare rpgs) 

9 hours ago, SilverLi said:

I have no idea where you live but I guess USA or England because you learned Latin. What about Italian? I don't really know any famous writers etc. but the Italian culture is rich and dozens of famous artists emerged from Italy. There must be something of value from them except the food. But maybe they were more oriented towards paintings.

Otherwise I second Russian too. If you ignore most of the, sorry for my expression. Retards in any game it is an interesting country with a rich culture. It is different and not Spanish or French. I think French is completely useless as a language even though it has a rich history. Spanish is better if you ever decide to visit South America.

If you want to waste your time Swedish is excellent. You could also curse our language and its stupid rules. It would be fun.

No, swedish is out of question. Italian... Well, at least Umberto Eco is worth mentioning when speak about italian writers. Actually I worked in Italy for a half of a year and could speak it on a level I need to buy goods or pay rent :) And it looks very similar to spanish actually (if replace all "por" with "il" and similar stuff - words and phrases are quite similar, have lot of same words, I believe anyone who speak italian could roughly understand spanish and vice versa).

8 hours ago, Deep Blue said:

Russian is the only language that comes to mind that maybe would had a proper use like for some games that I really liked and never got an english version ( some weird fps or rare rpgs) 

That's interesting, what rare rpgs made in Russian are worth mentioning? I mean text-heavy ones.

Same question for spanish/italian/german, as I like to learn language playing.

1 minute ago, Rooke said:

Check it out here: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/current-state-of-russian-rpgs-with-screenshots.54777/

Basically if they were good, they'd get a translation :P 

I like how most of these have "crappy" and "shitty" near the genre :) Yeah, mostly as I expected, clones of successful RPG of old times. I played Rage of Mages: Necromancer back in the days and it was fun Diablo clone, but that's all. Where is that unique rare RPGs Deep Blue spoke about? Is there anything on par with Icewind Dale or Baldur's Gate in terms of story/text?

28 minutes ago, Scorp said:

That's interesting, what rare rpgs made in Russian are worth mentioning? I mean text-heavy ones.

I can't remember the name of many but for example pathologic (it was translated later on and now is being sold on gog)  or alcatraz (i think it's translated now..) there was another rpg+fps mix which was called something like "black gold" it was like far cry that one never got translated as far as I know and I can remember 2 more one you were inside a carnival but everyone was crazy, really gory and finally some copy paste from stalker. Right now I don't really care about them since i mostly read vn or play very few games, back them i used to play all kind of weird games even if they were really bad.

EDIT: paying attention of what some users say in rpgcodex is not something smart to do, they like to shit on everything and everyone, sorry if I offend anyone by saying this but rpgcodex it's one of the the worst communities I've seen on the internet most of the users(not everyone) there are racists, angry, biased beyond comprehension, close minded and I can go on and on...I mean the worst. (sorry but it's the truth just enter and look around in the forum or just search on the internet...)

23 minutes ago, Deep Blue said:

EDIT: paying attention of what some users say in rpgcodex is not something smart to do, they like to shit on everything and everyone, sorry if I offend anyone by saying this but rpgcodex it's one of the the worst communities I've seen on the internet most of the users(not everyone) there are racists, angry, biased beyond comprehension, close minded and I can go on and on...I mean the worst. (sorry but it's the truth just enter and look around in the forum or just search on the internet...)

I should point out ... it's impossible for you to see the worst aspects of the Codex unless you've been a member for a year. Until then, you're really only seeing the 'safe' bits.

Just now, Rooke said:

I should point out ... it's impossible for you to see the worst aspects of the Codex unless you've been a member for a year. Until then, you're really only seeing the 'safe' bits.

I know this is off topic and so this is my last post about this.

I've been reading rpgcodex for years now, since I'm a huge fan of rpgs or was because im not so much now, I used to enter rpgcodex on almost a daily basis and never once wanted to create an user because I knew that sooner or later I was going to get banned or something similar. 
I remember that last time I enter it was to check about divinity original sin (since swen often use that forum or he used to i dont know now...) I think that was the last time I visited that community.. I do visit the main site from time to time to find about new releases of rpgs but nothing more.

5 hours ago, SilverLi said:

You never heard about the Divine Comedy or the Decameron?https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Decameron

4 hours ago, Scorp said:

There's only a bunch of adventures\visual novels originally written in italian, here's some exhamples:

https://vndb.org/v3836

http://www.zodiac-store.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=291&language=it

http://www.zodiac-store.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=850

http://www.retrogaminghistory.com/content.php/6233-Tequila-e-Boom-Boom-Dos

http://www.zodiac-store.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=348

On 11.04.2016 at 3:33 PM, WinterfuryZX said:

This one is good btw, but I read in english. I read annotations and I can understand probably 60-65% (e.g. I can catch the whole meaning without even need to copy-paste in google translate). Seems italian should be a good choice, along with spanish, as should only require me to learn grammar and after just imrpove vocabulary.

19 minutes ago, Scorp said:

@Rooke @Clephas I just read that http://www.buzzfeed.com/susiearmitage/29-things-you-will-only-understand-if-you-studied-russian#.fvEXOknRb8

What?? You really think that is good thing to learn? o_O I have an impression it is easier to remember all the 10000 kanji than that.

Pretty sure you can find 100 reasons not to learn any language from the internet if you just want.

Try Italian, which is a very minor language, and depends on your grasp of latin-derived languages.

Spanish is spoken by a lot of people in the world, but all you can do is visit such nice places as bankrupt Venezuela, Soviet Cuba or corrupt Spain itself 8)

1 minute ago, Okarin said:

Try Italian, which is a very minor language, and depends on your grasp of latin-derived languages.

Spanish is spoken by a lot of people in the world, but all you can do is visit such nice places as Soviet Venezuela, Soviet Cuba or corrupt Spain itself 8)

Is it just me, or italian and spanish are really look and sound similar?

2 minutes ago, Scorp said:

Is it just me, or italian and spanish are really look and sound similar?

They're different branches of Latin. I understand Italian quite well, but they evolved separately during the most part of 2000 years.

As an afterthought, try Portuguese too. It's like Spanish, but Brazil has more hope as a market and has tons of people to talk to and gorgeous women to win off.

Also I guess you're going for an A2 at most, in other words dabbling into the language, not knowing it perfectly.

31 minutes ago, Scorp said:

@Rooke @Clephas I just read that http://www.buzzfeed.com/susiearmitage/29-things-you-will-only-understand-if-you-studied-russian#.fvEXOknRb8

What?? You really think that is good thing to learn? o_O I have an impression it is easier to remember all the 10000 kanji than that.

Top three languages you should learn if you want to make money:

Russian

Chinese

Arabic

Learning any of the Romance languages is a waste of time and money...

Edit: ... unless you plan to live in one of those countries.

Edit2: If you want to become a doctor, it's good to learn German, if you want to practice overseas.

5 minutes ago, Clephas said:

lol... it is really, really hard to find anyone offering courses in Hindi...

Then your best hope is the occasional Beli. But with a better personality I hope.

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/huniepop/images/e/e6/Beli_cg.png/revision/latest?cb=20150403225004

PS: Reading "The Neverending Story" in native German (Die unendliches Geschichte) would and should be awesome.

14 minutes ago, Okarin said:

They're different branches of Latin. I understand Italian quite well, but they evolved separately during the most part of 2000 years.

As an afterthought, try Portuguese too. It's like Spanish, but Brazil has more hope as a market and has tons of people to talk to and gorgeous women to win off.

I do not really want to learn a language to win off women :)

12 minutes ago, Clephas said:

Top three languages you should learn if you want to make money:

Russian

Chinese

ArabicLearning any of the Romance languages is a waste of time and money...

As I plan to learn without spending money (if possible) on learning language, I suppose it does not matter waste of money. Also as seems no real use would be for me no matter what language I learn, so I do not care if it woud be waste of time or not.

Btw, you really think that if I learn russian I could make money? How? As chinese at least produce something, so they probably could need translation from one to another, same for arabic, but russian?