LN 'spice and wolf' gets sequel

ホアー ビち

4 minutes ago, Abyssal Monkey said:

That article is shit. It doesn't even say what the sequel is going to be.  Light novel? Anime? Manga? Something else?

Dengeki Bunko Magazine has announced that Isuna Hasekura's and Juu Ayakura's light novel Ookami to Koushinryou (Spice and Wolf) will receive a sequel to commemorate the series' 10th anniversary. The sequel will begin to publish in the magazine's 49th issue, to be released on April 9.

Just now, Down said:

Dengeki Bunko Magazine has announced that Isuna Hasekura's and Juu Ayakura's light novel Ookami to Koushinryou (Spice and Wolf) will receive a sequel to commemorate the series' 10th anniversary. The sequel will begin to publish in the magazine's 49th issue, to be released on April 9.

You know how often they announce crap via magazine?  The article makes it so ambiguous to what it actually is. I guess the most common assumption would be that it's a manga, but they don't make any reference of it past that point.  Taken literally, it could still be a multitude of different formats.

I'm almost positive that the actual advert itself is far less ambiguous, and this article fails to clarify past a single clause.  If this isn't a failure of communication, I don't know what is.

Dengeki Bunko publishes LNs, Dengeki Maoh is the one that publishes manga. This is coming out on Dengeki Bunko, so yeah it's a LN
There's reason to announce a new manga when there's one still being printed anyway.

Also, the article (The Japanese one) isn't really ambiguous, it clearly states its a sequel that's coming out on April 9th and it would be weird to say the word "come-back" if it's a manga because they're already serializing the manga on Dengeki Maoh.

「狼と香辛料」復活!
『電撃文庫MAGAZINE Vol.49』(4月9日発売号)にて続編連載開始!

"Spice and Wolf" come-back!
A sequel will begin its serialization on Dengeki Bunko Magazine's vol. 49 (On sale April 9th)!

7 minutes ago, Nosebleed said:

Dengeki Bunko publishes LNs, Dengeki Maoh is the one that publishes manga. This is coming out on Dengeki Bunko, so yeah it's a LN
There's reason to announce a new manga when there's one still being printed anyway.

Also, the article (The Japanese one) isn't really ambiguous, it clearly states its a sequel that's coming out on April 9th and it would be weird to say the word "come-back" if it's a manga because they're already serializing the manga on Dengeki Maoh.

「狼と香辛料」復活!
『電撃文庫MAGAZINE Vol.49』(4月9日発売号)にて続編連載開始!

"Spice and Wolf" come-back!
A sequel will begin its serialization on Dengeki Bunko Magazine's vol. 49 (On sale April 9th)

See, even that gives fucking mixed reviews. Thank you based Nosebleed for proving just how shit this article is at communicating at what it is talking about.

A light novel you say though? Hmmmmm, how interesting.  I wonder how this will go...  I haven't actually read his work in the meantime, Rest in Magdala, but I know I didn't really enjoy Spice and Wolf.  I wonder if he will be able to continue the series from where he left off seamlessly.

Well the Japanese article doesn't state it's a light novel probably because Dengeki Bunko is light novel imprint to begin with so it's kind of implied from the get go.

As for a 3rd season, it's possible now that there's a new light novel to promote which is one of the main reasons adaptations made.
But I hear there's still plenty of material left to adapt, also they skipped over an important volume in season 2, so it would be hard to make a proper sequel, especially because once they start they'd have to go all the way with it because not even a 2-cour anime would be enough to cover the material.

28 minutes ago, Abyssal Monkey said:

You know how often they announce crap via magazine?  The article makes it so ambiguous to what it actually is. I guess the most common assumption would be that it's a manga, but they don't make any reference of it past that point.  Taken literally, it could still be a multitude of different formats.

I'm almost positive that the actual advert itself is far less ambiguous, and this article fails to clarify past a single clause.  If this isn't a failure of communication, I don't know what is.

The first line of the article says that the LIGHT NOVEL will get a sequel in DENGEKI BUNKO MAGAZINE. I seriously don't understanding how that could be unclear at all.

1 hour ago, Justin579 said:

that makes no sense. who doesn't want more money?

He's not gonna get much money if he's not selling books. Adaptations are usually made with the intention of promoting the source material so both the author/publisher and the anime studio can profit from it. With his series done publishing, there's not that much incentive to make a new anime season from the publisher's side. Yes he, or rather, Dengeki, would probably get some royalties for it but I doubt they'd be worth it if they're not printing the series anymore.

Or it might be some completely different issue.

40 minutes ago, ロル ビち said:

but but eroge? they are always "done" before getting anime adaptation, like waremete was from 2010 and got a 2014 animu.

Uh, most if not all eroge adaptations are done for the sole purpose of advertisement.

Eroge adaptations are usually done not very far appart from when the games are released.

Also there's a difference between a manga publisher and a game developer. You could say the manga publisher can just print more tankoubons, but that's a lot of money you're putting at risk because you're not as sure how much of the investment you'll get back whereas games are much less costly in terms of manufacturing and you can easily get a good grasp on how many sales you're going to make through pre-orders which greatly reduces the risk.

A manga publisher has to print X amount of copies regardless of what they do. The more they print at once the less it will cost them, but they don't know how many they're going to sell so it's risky, and because they're not printing the series in the magazine anymore they're not even generating sales towards their magazines which is kind of a poor investment choice.

A game developer on the other hand can use pre-orders to adjust their investment accordingly and make sure they don't spend more than what is needed when releasing a second batch of game copies, making publishers and developers happy.

Tl;dr manga and eroge are two completely different mediums who's industries operate in very different ways.

5 hours ago, Nashetania said:

Well, I hope it won't be as anti-climatic as the end of season 2.

Either you're making a really random statement, or you're confusing the anime series and the light novels. The anime series covered books 1 and 2 (in season 1) and books 3 and 5 (in season 2). The LNs are generally individually complete stories, but they also tend to intentionally leave a lot of open threads to be followed up in the subsequent novels, which is why the end of season 2 of the anime is very open; I can totally understand your classifying it as anti-climactic.

At any rate, this is a sequel to the LNs which by all accounts have a pretty satisfying conclusion (at the end of all 17 novels), not a sequel to the anime series, so it's probably not useful to try to compare them.

2 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

Either you're making a really random statement, or you're confusing the anime series and the light novels. The anime series covered books 1 and 2 (in season 1) and books 3 and 5 (in season 2). The LNs are generally individually complete stories, but they also tend to intentionally leave a lot of open threads to be followed up in the subsequent novels, which is why the end of season 2 of the anime is very open; I can totally understand your classifying it as anti-climactic.

At any rate, this is a sequel to the LNs which by all accounts have a pretty satisfying conclusion (at the end of all 17 novels), not a sequel to the anime series, so it's probably not useful to try to compare them.

My point was that I don't want to see season 3.