VNs with Cut Content

Funyarinpa

What VNs are there that are known to had a route/ scenes/ BGM etc. cut during development? I'm talking about SIGNIFICANT changes here (that's up to you to determine), such as a whole route or some very important scenes.

My pick is Remember11. This VN has two routes (non-romance focused) and a third one had to be scrapped during development due to budgetary reasons. The thing is, the VN is structured rather ambiguously and this third route was supposed to answer most questions pertaining to these two routes. Despite R11 being in my top five VNs of all time, I have to say that I hate its ending because it's ambiguous. It's still possible to infer and theorize about many things, but the cathartic experience of seeing the mystery of your circumstances solved before you that is present in other Uchikoshi works (Zero Escape and Ever17) is not present here. It really hurts the VN because except for the ending, the mystery, atmosphere and science of the VN is top-fucking-notch.

Most famous one I can think of is Illyas' route (F/SN) getting scrapped due to various constraints - time, budget, and too similar to what he (Nasu) wanted to do with Sakura's route. They ended up cannibilizing most of her story ideas into Heavens Feel and UBW.

A rough explaination of it anyway, as I understood the circumstances. I've also read unconfirmed rumors TM was hesitant about including a loli heroine - but considering Len in Kagetsu Tohya, dunno if I put much stock in that.

Princess Evangile scrapped Ruriko and so they crammed what-would-be-her-route into the common route

Sayaka's sister from Danganronpa got cut from Ultra Despair Girls because canon so hihi Toko,

Not cut-from-development, but localizations we got the famous If My Heart Had Wings censoring H-scenes

Filling my Ar Nosurge quota, there's a very, very subtle (well, subtle for EN players who will never get to play nor research it) removal of Ciel Nosurge references that actually makes Earthes x Ion one of the best romance tragedies of all time  

4 minutes ago, Eclipsed said:

Princess Evangile scrapped Ruriko and so they crammed what-would-be-her-route into the common route

Sayaka's sister from Danganronpa got cut from Ultra Despair Girls because canon so hihi Toko,

Not cut-from-development, but localizations we got the famous If My Heart Had Wings censoring H-scenes

Filling my Ar Nosurge quota, there's a very, very subtle removal of Ciel Nosurge references that actually makes Earthes x Ion one of the best romance tragedies of all time  

...what

Well I'm sure everyone knows about the Satsuki Yumizuak route from Tsukihime that is promised to be included in the remake, 30 years from now.

I've also read an interview about the development issues with the MuvLuv trillogy and that there was a good amount of stuff that they cut from Alternative. Some of it was included in the Chronicles, but there is still allot that was never made.

1 minute ago, Soulless Watcher said:

Well I'm sure everyone knows about the Satsuki Yumizuak route from Tsukihime that is promised to be included in the remake, 30 years from now.

I've also read an interview about the development issues with the MuvLuv trillogy and that there was a good amount of stuff that they cut from Alternative. Some of it was included in the Chronicles, but there is still allot that was never made.

Some actually interesting stuff could have been interesting before the coup d'etat arc.

10 hours ago, Eclipsed said:

Filling my Ar Nosurge quota, there's a very, very subtle (well, subtle for EN players who will never get to play nor research it) removal of Ciel Nosurge references that actually makes Earthes x Ion one of the best romance tragedies of all time  

Ruriko is the best girl in Princess Evangile from what I have played so far. Knowing this info doesn't make me that happy :komari:

12 hours ago, Eclipsed said:

Heyyyy I get this references :sachi: 

Also, anything from Type Moon is more often than not get many of its content cut due to its budget restriction

Fate Extra for example, Leo, one of the master you fought suppose to be a cross dressing girl with her very own route.

Also, there's that talk about how F/E MC was planned to attain an enlightenment to survive the last boss attack 

13 minutes ago, Jade said:

Heyyyy I get this references :sachi: 

OH. MY. GAWD. YOUR.SIG.IS.AWESOME!@#@%$%

But yeah, I'm pretty surprised they didn't at least offer the option for the localized version to have the Ciel Nosurge flags set, it's a pretty big fking deal whether Earthes is

Spoiler

The same one from Ciel or another person entirely, hence why I mention the whole "best romance tragedy ever" :sachi: 

2 hours ago, Eclipsed said:

But yeah, I'm pretty surprised they didn't at least offer the option for the localized version to have the Ciel Nosurge flags set

Spoiler

This is one of the reasons why it was impossible for me to immerse myself with Earthes. If it's "him", the dialogues between him and Ion don't make any sense. If it's not "him"... lol. That would be "NTR-The RPG".
But this problem is not only the localization's fault this time. The difference between Ciel flags or not is not that big anyway. This is just extremely lazy game design. Developers thought it would be good to have a "new" Earthes available for new players because then they didn't have to refer to Ciel as often .. but even new players don't want to roleplay a "new" Earthes and everybody wanted to have as many Ciel references as possible! That's the point of the whole game! Why would you want to play a new Earthes? What a horrible person one must be if someone wants to do this to Ion! Disgusting! People like this also get the Shurelia ending, lol.

12 hours ago, Tyrosyn said:
  Hide contents

This is one of the reasons why it was impossible for me to immerse myself with Earthes. If it's "him", the dialogues between him and Ion don't make any sense. If it's not "him"... lol. That would be "NTR-The RPG".
But this problem is not only the localization's fault this time. The difference between Ciel flags or not is not that big anyway. This is just extremely lazy game design. Developers thought it would be good to have a "new" Earthes available for new players because then they didn't have to refer to Ciel as often .. but even new players don't want to roleplay a "new" Earthes and everybody wanted to have as many Ciel references as possible! That's the point of the whole game! Why would you want to play a new Earthes? What a horrible person one must be if someone wants to do this to Ion! Disgusting! People like this also get the Shurelia ending, lol.

Spoiler

Iirc tho, even if you don't have CielNosurge, the game still treat you as the player from Ciel, there's a tiny bit information that reveal this in Ar noSurge but can't quite remember where.

Also, there's that Japan-only bonus

On 2/5/2016 at 9:22 PM, Eclipsed said:

oh really, that actually makes a lot of sense lol

wonder if Hazuki was scrapped from Koichoco in a similar fashion