No One But You Review Discussion

Decay

7 hours ago, Okarin said:

the new Torment game will be almost certainly shit

Philistine! Heathen! 

But on a serious note, I quite enjoyed Pillars of Eternity and the Shadowrun games. Furthermore we're going to get an awesome Battletech game because of KS, a game true to its tabletop roots, so I disagree with you spectacularly concerning KS.

There are plenty of good kickstarter games out there. Such as, oh hey, look, another indie EVN, but actually good! https://vndb.org/v18850

Or a slew of cool mainstream games like the Shadowrun series, Faster Than Light, Undertale, Shovel Knight, Chivalry, Darkest Dungeon, among many others.

90% of all media is total shit. That includes Kickstarter games, but also non-kickstarter games. And VNs, of course! That still leaves plenty of good stuff for us to appreciate. Just don't write off every single KS game.

22 hours ago, Valmore said:

OK, to sum up this guy's point:

"Critics shouldn't rag on a cheap VN." Or something like that.

Hell, Decay actually offered up an alternative for $10 - buy a Sakura game. One could take it as a joke, but honestly, you probably would get more enjoyment out of one. Yeah, in Sakura the story is weak and the characters obnoxious, but they at least have consistently good art and fanservice. NOBY doesn't even offer that.

Hell, I wish I could rip a game like that when it deserves it. I honestly don't have the balls to. But I have played the entire VN as well, and on pretty much most points I would have to agree with Decay, and I paid for the pleasure of that agreement. If anything, I should be even more critical of it since I invested my money - Decay can laugh at me and feel good about saving his wallet. :amane:

And really, the counterpoint to his argument about budget is right there in the top of the review. For their Kickstarter, they only asked for $1300. They felt they could deliver a quality VN by having a contribution of just $1300, and they got $18000. That's over 13 times what they asked for. If their group felt they could do so great on $1300 in contributions, then they should of knocked Decay's socks off with $18000 backing them up.

man i want 18k lol. So many extra chapters O_O

I wrote that because I just don't know about any game with KS origins that's worth it. Development tends to be a mess, you have to worry about the goals and rewards, and there are even cases of people flogging their game and then disappearing with the money. But we live in an age wherein even AAA titles can suck big time. Not the highest peak for videogames, at least in quality, luckily we have some staunch studios that keep the flame alive.

If anything I feel that KS is a controversial way of funding your project. For me it has been a fad, where the laziest people tried to fund even their musical album, just because it was popular at the moment.

On 2/1/2016 at 6:29 PM, Decay said:

There are plenty of good kickstarter games out there. Such as, oh hey, look, another indie EVN, but actually good! https://vndb.org/v18850

Or a slew of cool mainstream games like the Shadowrun series, Faster Than Light, Undertale, Shovel Knight, Chivalry, Darkest Dungeon, among many others.

90% of all media is total shit. That includes Kickstarter games, but also non-kickstarter games. And VNs, of course! That still leaves plenty of good stuff for us to appreciate. Just don't write off every single KS game.

When I first saw Aviary Attorney I was like.... "Oh no.... Hatoful Boyfriend meets Ace Attorney?!" Then played it and it wasn't too bad at all! 

• 3 months later...

Bmping this thread, but I decided to try this and reading megumi route. Okay, my opinion about her route was kind of changed. But there's still some nitpicking though. Anyway, here's my nitpicking

Spoiler

Regarding the pedophile teacher murder, I think the teacher was quite dumb to be honest (Although if he was cornered it's understandable). I mean he was so desperate that he'd resort to kill Megumi. Even if he managed to kill her (And obviously it'll be bad end), it's still Phyrric Victory for him. I mean either security camera caught him and he was searched around all of Japan, or he was caught and MC was give the teacher murder motive even though the teacher was already prepared false document (Remember, even if MC wasn't spread teacher outburst against Megumi, he should at least considering some of possibility that his outburst was already spread).

Okay, to be honest what the developer need that they should told what grade MC and his friend is. Otherwise, it would be as Decay said it make no sense at all. I mean if for example Megumi became the witness at her first grade and right now she was at 3rd grade, it'll be make a lot sense. But from what I seen the developer didn't bother to tell the time frame (Unless I miss it). Also there's also an issue in fact of how could they accept the murderer back at the school/crime scene for the teacher.

Leaving aside those 2 nitpicking, I think if we ignored that actually Megumi's route kinda interesting (Aside from her stalker tendency). Oh, I think maybe the developer here spent more money on the graphic instead of story. I said this because this game had many save slot (More than 300) and had the opening video. I think that's all I could comment from my try to play this. But I didn't know if I'll play this again in the future though.