Conjueror's Untranslated Visual Novel Tournament [Discussion]

Maxel

12 hours ago, Maxel said:

1% difference between Ikusa and Asairo, meh... R.I.P Ikusa Megami -.- Aww, I'm disappointed in community.

telling people they're salty and then drop this is the best thing I have seen today LOL (sorry for not having the same taste for VNs as you do srs, im sorry)

Kinda sad to see that black cyc and more dark nukige/horror vns arent getting much love, well its really niche but I do think its something we need more of, mostly because most of it doesnt get translated

(I actually found out that a lot of people like Conjueror and cafe actually wanna work on titles like this which makes me very happy)

7 minutes ago, VirginSmasher said:

I voted for Silverio because it looks like a great VN. Why it's not winning against Akatsuki no Goei, I have no idea.

Because AkaGoei hype, man.  People have wanted that one translated for quite a while.

Not gonna lie, though, a (good) CrossChannel re-translation would make me so happy.  Parts of the original TL seemed to be utterly nonsensical and random, and I can't even compare the English script to the Japanese one  :/

1 minute ago, Zenophilious said:

Because AkaGoei hype, man.  People have wanted that one translated for quite a while.

Not gonna lie, though, a (good) CrossChannel re-translation would make me so happy.  Parts of the original TL seemed to be utterly nonsensical and random, and I can't even compare the English script to the Japanese one  :/

Isn't AkaGoei already being translated though? Even if it may not come to fruition, I'd rather vote on a VN that isn't already being TLed. That's the whole reason why I didn't vote for KimiNozo or Irotoridori no Sekai.

Just now, VirginSmasher said:

Isn't AkaGoei already being translated though? Even if it may not come to fruition, I'd rather vote on a VN that isn't already being TLed. That's the whole reason why I didn't vote for KimiNozo or Irotoridori no Sekai.

Probably, but I haven't heard pretty much anything from them in months.  The thread creator hasn't been online in months, either, although they did say that they wouldn't do frequent updates.  Their ETA was 2015, though, so make of that what you will.

Just now, Zenophilious said:

Probably, but I haven't heard pretty much anything from them in months.  The thread creator hasn't been online in months, either, although they did say that they wouldn't do frequent updates.  Their ETA was 2015, though, so make of that what you will.

I'd still honestly prefer Silverio. It seems really unique while AkaGoei doesn't particularly interest me as much as Silverio does. It's up to everybody else anyways, but it'd be nice to see Silverio in the next round.

14 minutes ago, VirginSmasher said:

This is just a popularity contest, don't assume any sort of deeper meaning beyond that. The winning VNs may not be translated. They probably won't be. 

Anyways, the akagoei translation is long dead, so no, that's not going to happen.

Just now, Decay said:

This is just a popularity contest, don't assume any sort of deeper meaning beyond that. The winning VNs may not be translated. They probably won't be. 

Anyways, the akagoei translation is long dead.

You're probably right. The winning VN probably won't be picked up, but it may show licensing companies like MangaGamer what the community wants to see come to the west.

So? What's the downside to voting for something that's receiving a translation? Are they going to go "Oh, people only want already-in-translation stuff" and stop all future licensing? No, they're going to look towards the next-most-voted thing instead. Just have fun and vote for what you want most. If those companies are going to make use of that information, they can still do so just as well.

Just now, Decay said:

So? What's the downside to voting for something that's receiving a translation? Are they going to go "Oh, people only want already-in-translation stuff" and stop all future licensing? No, they're going to look towards the next-most-voted thing instead. Just have fun and vote for what you want most. If those companies are going to make use of that information, they can still do so just as well.

Plus, if fan TLed VNs win the tournament, they may get official translations from these major companies. I can't believe I didn't see it like that before. This is just a fun tournament anyways that may have an effect because Conjueror does work for MangaGamer.

Even counting out all the weird effects, 300 to 400 votes per poll is statistically interesting enough that all licensing companies probably have an eye on them as an indicator.

And we now know that jp companies are not blind to what's happening in the western market at all (they're aware of what fan translations exist) so they might be looking too.

35 minutes ago, Down said:

Even counting out all the weird effects, 300 to 400 votes per poll is statistically interesting enough that all licensing companies probably have an eye on them as an indicator.

And we now know that jp companies are not blind to what's happening in the western market at all (they're aware of what fan translations exist) so they might be looking too.

It might get to 500~~ or maybe more on semi-finals/finals when the big titles will have their showdown.

Anyway, this is alpha version of Winner's bracket, any suggestion what to change?

WvEeMhT.png

or maybe something like this?

w7KQ5G7.png

I think a lot of the people who vote in this polls just look at the covers of the vns, the score (which doesnt tell you much about a vn because tastes are not the same for everyone most of the vns I really really like have a really low or average score.)  or the titles and if it sounds familiar or is a popular series (baldr force is the perfect example of this) they vote it, granted there is no way to know how good a vn is if there is no translation available in the first place but voting for those reasons is just a waste imo.

I'm still amazed on how everyone voted sakura no uta when probably nobody yet played subarashiki "sca-ji's masterpiece"(many many of the people who read it said that they didnt understand a lot of the plot but because scaji is a genius is a 10/10 vn, so yeah is masterpiece just because..or going as far to say "SCA-Ji is far more intelligent than anyone reading this blog entry, including myself." lol) or any of the sca-ji's vns in that matter and the only fully translated vn available that can tell you a bit of his writing is ikikoi which i dare you to say is a masterpiece...

Im just venting a bit ignore my entire post xD

9 hours ago, Deep Blue said:

I think a lot of the people who vote in this polls just look at the covers of the vns, the score (which doesnt tell you much about a vn because tastes are not the same for everyone most of the vns I really really like have a really low or average score.)  or the titles and if it sounds familiar or is a popular series (baldr force is the perfect example of this) they vote it, granted there is no way to know how good a vn is if there is no translation available in the first place but voting for those reasons is just a waste imo.

I'm still amazed on how everyone voted sakura no uta when probably nobody yet played subarashiki "sca-ji's masterpiece"(many many of the people who read it said that they didnt understand a lot of the plot but because scaji is a genius is a 10/10 vn, so yeah is masterpiece just because..or going as far to say "SCA-Ji is far more intelligent than anyone reading this blog entry, including myself." lol) or any of the sca-ji's vns in that matter and the only fully translated vn available that can tell you a bit of his writing is ikikoi which i dare you to say is a masterpiece...

Im just venting a bit ignore my entire post xD

Whether people would actually like what they're voting for is irrelevant, there's no way of knowing that beforehand to begin with. What counts is whether people would support it if it get localized or not. That means gauging the hype already existing around some games, and creating further hype for the games that do well in the poll.

Also I have no idea who even said they didn't understand the plot of SakuUta because there's not a whole lot of plot and it's definitely not complicated.

cant see fairytale requiem going strong, mostly because content like its seemingly got less & less popular over the last years. the overall fluffy appearance has pretty much zero to do with whats going on at all. also the point of non so many people in the west having already read said story wont help much either, so yeah thats that.
but can be very much wrong, especially if those are voting, who determine a novels worth based on its visuals only... 

edit: voted for cross channel, simply because i found it to be the only one out of those truly deserving an (proper) english translation at all.