Tutorial - How to read untranslated visual novels .

Deep Blue

Sorry for the slight necro bump, but I'm having some trouble using this. It worked fine for a little bit, but then I keep getting the error "The external server `returned an error (503) and is not responding." The text gets hooked, but the translation isnt displayed. Instead that error message is. Any idea whats wrong?

what translator are you using?

Using the default one

EDIT: I also tried using ITH, but it gave the same error.

Edited by Dergonu

I'm sorry, but I can't get the the Chiitrans textbox to appear during full screen. Not when I hook the text with ITH. When I open a VN with Chiitrans I can get it to work full screen, but not if I uses Chiitrans to display text from a clipboard like ITH. I already viewed the video you linked about this issue, and it didn't help. 

Edit: Actually I just tried running another VN through Chiitrans and the textbox wouldn't appear during fullscreen mode either.

Edit 2: I found that fullscreen (regardless of whether I use ITH or run it through Chiitrans) works for some VNs and not for others. And this confuses me. Am I not doing something right?

Edited by Zalor

I'm sorry, but I can't get the the Chiitrans textbox to appear during full screen. Not when I hook the text with ITH. When I open a VN with Chiitrans I can get it to work full screen, but not if I uses Chiitrans to display text from a clipboard like ITH. I already viewed the video you linked about this issue, and it didn't help. 

Edit: Actually I just tried running another VN through Chiitrans and the textbox wouldn't appear during fullscreen mode either.

Edit 2: I found that fullscreen (regardless of whether I use ITH or run it through Chiitrans) works for some VNs and not for others. And this confuses me. Am I not doing something right?

I haven't encountered your problem. But have you tried changing to the chiitrans window while in fullscreen by using alt+tab? It might work.

How good is the translation using this method?  Is it any better than VNR?

Somewhat but you have to constantly save/parse keywords and names to make it effective. If you just run the program and expect it to translate shit automatically without any effort, then you are in for the disappointment.

Edited by CeruleanGamer

Some VNs might run in borderless full screen if you didn't notice. Probably did but just saying.

I have to alt-tab few times to get it work but when I was using ITH, I couldn't get it working.

How good is the translation using this method?  Is it any better than VNR?

Translation is somewhat similar, but this is much more user friendly and much quicker. So in turn, its better. (In my opinion at least.) That being said, no tool like this will truly translate everything flawlessly, especially not free ones. 

@tahu157 the parser is actually better than translation aggregator, the machine translation is...well a machine translation, it will be the same not matter what program you use. Now the interface is much more simpler and better in my opinion, just check the comparison I did in the post

Sorry for the slight necro bump, but I'm having some trouble using this. It worked fine for a little bit, but then I keep getting the error "The external server `returned an error (503) and is not responding." The text gets hooked, but the translation isnt displayed. Instead that error message is. Any idea whats wrong?

Using the default one

wait the "error 503" is related to the translator you are using not the text hooking method. are you using the machine translation right?

sometimes when you go fullscreen if the vn has a low res like 640x480 like sayonaro wo oshiete and you have a high reso in your desktop you need to place the text box in the perfect spot just to find it because it will be like lost in the screen somewhere, it is there but just not in the place where the vn is, I don't know if I'm explaining myself :P 
everything depends on the engine of the vn, some are really easy and work really well others are a bit clunky to work with but all of them so far work in fullscreen.

Edited by Deep Blue

im afraid chiitrans only works in fullscreen if you can get the vn to work in borderless sadly, I thought I could use fullscreen too :C, well maybe there is a way for the developers to make it so that you can do that in the future, it would wonderful!

im afraid chiitrans only works in fullscreen if you can get the vn to work in borderless sadly, I thought I could use fullscreen too :C, well maybe there is a way for the developers to make it so that you can do that in the future, it would wonderful!

nope it does work, you just need to find it like i said in my previous post 

added a list of h-codes 

oh, I missed that, but sounds interesting lol, gonna try to find that window lol.

Is it hidden until you on the right place or do you just need to drag around the borders of the vn to find it?

I will upload a video so you can see what i'm saying because is really hard to explain :P  but you need to find the right place of the textbox of chiitrans once you find it you can change the size inside the vn like you can do in any other vn, most of the time you need to place it almost in the top left corner of your screen .

Using the default one

wait the "error 503" is related to the translator you are using not the text hooking method. are you using the machine translation right?

ah my mistake, yes thats what I am using then. 

@kawasumi this is the best I can do, bandicam doesnt record fullscreen so when I go fullscreen in the novel you just see in the top left of the video a simulated FS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_6ZfMDlYQw 

Using the default one

try using other translator, check the part in my tutorial with this title "Finally using Atlas or any other online translator if you want (I will assume that you know how to install atlas, once installed the program doesn't need any configuration it will use it automatically):"

How does one read and understand a entire visual novel from a machine translation?

you dont, you use a dictionary thats linked to the program that extracts the text

Edit: thank you so much for the video deep blue, im totally sure about what you meant now though at least :D

Edited by Kawasumi

How does one read and understand a entire visual novel from a machine translation?

you dont need to use a machine translation, many of us here use it for the parser and the dictionary (and the mighty furigana :P )  but the option to use MTs is there and it doesn't hurt to have it in fact many people read vns that way.

Reading an eroge in fullscreen should never be a problem because you can always (and you should!) play the game in a virtual machine which means running the program in a virtual full screen which is perfect for showing other windows on top of it.

I never used Chiitrans until now, but the dictionary features do look nice on those screenshots. I will try this some time soon to see whether it's actually better than TA or not. ^^

So what is your conclusion Tyr-sama?  Is Chiitrans worth looking into?  I'm perfectly happy with the updated Translation Aggregator, as I don't have any desire to play Japanese games in fullscreen mode.  Also, TA lets you use two different parsers simultaneously, which is pretty useful for identifying parsing errors.

@kawasumi this is the best I can do, bandicam doesnt record fullscreen so when I go fullscreen in the novel you just see in the top left of the video a simulated FS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_6ZfMDlYQw 

Using the default one

try using other translator, check the part in my tutorial with this title "Finally using Atlas or any other online translator if you want (I will assume that you know how to install atlas, once installed the program doesn't need any configuration it will use it automatically):"

Ahh yes this was it. Working now that I am using a different translator. Thanks! This tool is really lightweight and helpful.

sometimes when you go fullscreen if the vn has a low res like 640x480 like sayonaro wo oshiete and you have a high reso in your desktop you need to place the text box in the perfect spot just to find it because it will be like lost in the screen somewhere, it is there but just not in the place where the vn is, I don't know if I'm explaining myself :P 
everything depends on the engine of the vn, some are really easy and work really well others are a bit clunky to work with but all of them so far work in fullscreen.

Yeah, for me it varies VN to VN and I haven't quite figured it out yet. But interestingly enough, Sayooshi is actually among the VNs that work with it in fullscreen mode. 

I haven't encountered your problem. But have you tried changing to the chiitrans window while in fullscreen by using alt+tab? It might work.

I tried that, but it didn't seem to solve the problem.

Also, I still vote for this to get pinned.

So what is your conclusion Tyr-sama?  Is Chiitrans worth looking into?  I'm perfectly happy with the updated Translation Aggregator, as I don't have any desire to play Japanese games in fullscreen mode.  Also, TA lets you use two different parsers simultaneously, which is pretty useful for identifying parsing errors.

Well, Chiitrans Lite is nice, but it's far from perfect. Also, it seems that it's not in development anymore and that probably means that it wont get any better anymore.

The dictionary features are nice. It's fast and it's not as convoluted as TA when there are many different meanings possible.
It's not an option for power users like us though. You only have one parser and I also didn't find a way to include other dictionaries. If you want to change the original text, you have to open an additional window which is a "normal" dialog window which might crash your fullscreen game.

My conclusion is that Chiitrans Lite is perfect for people who know the language and need the parser only to look up a few words or for the furigana. Chiitrans Lite is especially useful for furigana readers because you can choose a reading for every word and Chiitrans will remember this the next time. That's a feature I miss in TA, because TA will always use the first reading as furigana and this is quite often not the right one, not even the most probable one.

It's not good for people who want to learn the language though. I think looking at a greedy and a restrained parser at the same time is essential. I also like to have more than the default dictionary available. A quick edit of the original text is not possible.

So your conclusion is that you still prefer Translation Aggregator?

I use both MeCab and JParser, and as you say being able to skim both parses at a glance is very useful.  I still use the default edict2; I haven't found anything better, nor have I found a way to use a J->J dictionary in tandem with a J->E dictionary, which would be optimal.  If a translation interface could do THAT, that would make me a convert.  I hate that TA sometimes gives the wrong parse result, and would like to be able to correct it, but having a second parse to match up against is also very useful.

Like I said in the first few lines of this tutorial, there is no such thing as the perfect program, this is perfect for me that I like to read full screen (if i dont use full-screen I cannot get immerse in the novel) and probably other users but not for everyone, you can also use it as a compliment. It lacks in some way but the fullscreen feature and being able to fix the parsing(which is already really good) on the go plus adding names and translations yourself that's the biggest pro it has.
It has its pro and cons like any other software.