What are you playing?

I didn't make a proper post in a while, but now that I made proper progress in Senshinkan, I finally can.

I've finished Akira's route. What a journey that was - left a lot of impressions for sure. As for the story structure as a whole, it's almost like an interesting twist on the traditional shounen genre - you have the usual formula of 'get beaten by a bad guy > get stronger > beat the bad guy', the iconic friendship power, or, mainly, those exciting moments where the tables get turned at the end of the battle - all that hidden under a thick layer of despair, gore and ridiculous(ly good) writing. What Senhinkan does well is taking all those 'cliches' and removing as much of the cheapness (deus-ex machina) from them as possible, and setting the rest tightly into the rules and workings of the dream world most of the story takes place in. There are clear reasons why such things as trust in your friends should ever work - or, why it sometimes wouldn't - because despite it's focus on human virtues, the story likes to put the main cast through horrendous things a lot. Still, it's nowhere near Muramasa's level of cruelty, so you can expect some happy times in the slice of life sections taking place in the real world at least - or, most likely, the endings as well. Well, there's no utsuge tag at the very least, but don't take my word for it. :D

To sum all that up, it's just dark enough to make even a weirdo like me appreciate the nice things when they do happen, but at the same time it never really makes it its goal to crush you with despair and depression either, even if it comes close to that at times.

As for Akira's route itself, I enjoyed it a lot. If there were any complaints, it'd be about the structure, since they quite obviously cut the main story in half for obvious reasons - but it still had a nice enough epilogue to be able to stand on its own as a route. Definitely don't expect a satisfactory ending to the main story itself though. That said, I can't really hold that against the VN too much, as it's clearly going for a multi-route mystery - which, I might add, is very intriguing. I love weird time travel bullshit - and when you combine that with cool concepts like lucid dreams and the collective unconscious... I'm so much in! The world itself is extremely interesting, and so is the main story, I just hope it lasts till the true ending. :)

Oooookay...I'm seriously getting confused reading CC, and I'd really appreciate an answer.  Spoilers~

So...I'm in the middle of the section after the credits, where it seems like I'm replaying the VN, except now everyone but the main characters are gone. Is almost everything in this section stuff I've already read? The majority of the text seems to be exactly the same, so I've started skipping the sepia-colored scenes, since they seem to just be flashbacks, as well as stuff I remember already reading. Is it worth it to just read it anyway, or is skipping it a good idea?

Oooookay...I'm seriously getting confused reading CC, and I'd really appreciate an answer.  Spoilers~

So...I'm in the middle of the section after the credits, where it seems like I'm replaying the VN, except now everyone but the main characters are gone. Is almost everything in this section stuff I've already read? The majority of the text seems to be exactly the same, so I've started skipping the sepia-colored scenes, since they seem to just be flashbacks, as well as stuff I remember already reading. Is it worth it to just read it anyway, or is skipping it a good idea?

Definitely do not skip unread text, the repeated scenes (even if they seem the same as the sepia ones) are there for a reason. Skipping them would be like skipping the foreshadowing, and possibly even clues or new scenes-- if it really repeated, I assume it'd let you skip normally with the skip read text function, which is the only one you should use.

Also, if it seems like the VN is repeating completely, even with the same texT/choices and all, it's safe to assume you made the wrong choices. Your goal from now should be to get on character routes - if I remember correctly, the senpai heroine is the first one, so try to get on her route for progress. :)

Definitely do not skip unread text, the repeated scenes (even if they seem the same as the sepia ones) are there for a reason. Skipping them would be like skipping the foreshadowing, and possibly even clues or new scenes-- if it really repeated, I assume it'd let you skip normally with the skip read text function, which is the only one you should use.

Also, if it seems like the VN is repeating completely, even with the same texT/choices and all, it's safe to assume you made the wrong choices. Your goal from now should be to get on character routes - if I remember correctly, the senpai heroine is the first one, so try to get on her route for progress. :)

Yeah, it's definitely not the

exact same scenes; there's a bit of text every once in a while that is definitely new. Thanks for confirming that, I wasn't quite sure what was up with that.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm on her route; that is, I've basically only repeatedly interacted with her, and I've been trying to guess which choices would lock me into her route. I remembered that her route was the first one, for some reason.

EDIT: Also, there doesn't appear to be a "skip read text" function, just a "skip all text" function; I tested that earlier.  Kinda irritating, but oh well.

The first ending and different storytelling style should have hinted at what was going on, but you seem to be missing something.

Think about the difference between the flashback scenes and the regular scenes on your second go-around. A somewhat minor spoiler if you can't figure out what's going on:

Everyone was already gone to start with. The flashbacks are set at an earlier time before the camp-out, while the other scenes are all set after the campout. The first time through the story they intermingle the two with no indication just to really confuse the reader.

Also, the senpai doesn't have to be the first route. You can do the other available girl's route first if you really wanted.

Also, the senpai has two endings. That confused me for a little while.

Basically you should seek to get both the sexual and non-sexual endings for her. You can't move on in the game until you get both.

The first ending and different storytelling style should have hinted at what was going on, but you seem to be missing something.

Think about the difference between the flashback scenes and the regular scenes on your second go-around. A somewhat minor spoiler if you can't figure out what's going on:

Everyone was already gone to start with. The flashbacks are set at an earlier time before the camp-out, while the other scenes are all set after the campout. The first time through the story they intermingle the two with no indication just to really confuse the reader.

Also, the senpai doesn't have to be the first route. You can do the other available girl's route first if you really wanted.

Also, the senpai has two endings. That confused me for a little while.

Basically you should seek to get both the sexual and non-sexual endings for her. You can't move on in the game until you get both.

Okay, that cleared up literally everything I didn't understand.  Thanks!

Finished chapter one of Demonbane.

I already get the feeling that its gonna be a great ride.

The prologue was dark and poetic. But in contrast the first chapter is pretty light, and full of conedy. Though it seems that it will become dark again near the end of the vn.

Just wait 'till Master Therion vs. Kurou.

That's some awesome stuff right there.

I'm not even a fan of mecha, to be honest.

But Demonbane?

Daaaaaaaaaaaamn.

Hyperdimension Neptunia is love Hyperdimension Neptunia is life.

Had to be said. 

You know your stuff. <3

Shit. Accidental double post.
Whelp.

Guess I'll put the current thing I'm playing.

Screw all of the people who talked me into playing Huniepop.
Now I can't stop. I've just screwed Audrey and Tiffany a while ago.

I think it's the most accurate thing for the slogan, "Once you pop you can't stop, Hunie!"

@kosaki your right, master therion is pure awesome!

although i felt lots of sympathy towards him at the end, cause he´s like kurou a tragic figure, trapped by nya and forced to act like he does

edit: @can´t understand why jast isn´t going to localize its sequel, cause in my opinion its a great continuation of the story itself.

edit: @can´t understand why jast isn´t going to localize its sequel, cause in my opinion its a great continuation of the story itself.

Exactly.

I've been wondering that as well.

Demonbane was really good, to be honest.

It ate up my Christmas vacation two years ago.

Though I may have not finished Leila's route because I lost my laptop.

I might have even named her wrong, given how long it's been.

Anyway, I only had one problem with Demonbane.

Kurou's monster dick.

hahahahahahaha shiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttttttttttttt your spoiler made my day hahahaha

& yes its been the same with me, found the story & characters very nice and played it without a break. thats why i honestly cant understand jast´s hesitation when it comes to the sequel. hell its the same with those teaser animes, where you get 12 episodes, an open end & everyone who doesn´t continue the manga afterward gets screwed. in that case it would be better to stay away from start you know.

Yeah, it's definitely not the

exact same scenes; there's a bit of text every once in a while that is definitely new. Thanks for confirming that, I wasn't quite sure what was up with that.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm on her route; that is, I've basically only repeatedly interacted with her, and I've been trying to guess which choices would lock me into her route. I remembered that her route was the first one, for some reason.

EDIT: Also, there doesn't appear to be a "skip read text" function, just a "skip all text" function; I tested that earlier.  Kinda irritating, but oh well.

Oh, sorry. ;_; And here I thought the 'skip read function' could be taken for granted... That's very annoying, especially with a VN like this. :x Aren't there even any skip settings in the menu? It seems weird that it'd be missing.

& yes its been the same with me, found the story & characters very nice and played it without a break. thats why i honestly cant understand jast´s hesitation when it comes to the sequel. hell its the same with those teaser animes, where you get 12 episodes, an open end & everyone who doesn´t continue the manga afterward gets screwed. in that case it would be better to stay away from start you know.

Considering that one, I think it would be okay to not translate Demonbane's sequel since, well, there are multiple routes and they all had proper endings, anyway.

Though it really is a waste, if you think about it.

Honestly. Even if it was all-ages, I'd have no problem with it.

proper endings you think?  nahh they´ve been open as fuck, especially the first two.

i mean there are infinite multiverse, you know and therefore infinite possibilities of what can/ could happen afterwards etc

edit: I´m no robocon, but seeing leicas knockers, i´d like to change some gears @night

hahahahahahaha shiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttttttttttttt your spoiler made my day hahahaha

If only the people in charge of these decisions were psychic and could tell what would be a hit and what wouldn't. You don't order more seasons of an anime that nobody gave a shit about, and you don't license a sequel to a VN that nobody bought. Unfortunately, it seems that Demonbane wasn't very successful for JAST, how good and deserving you think it is doesn't have much to do with it. 

proper endings you think?  nahh they´ve been open as fuck, especially the first two.

i mean there are infinite multiverse, you know and therefore infinite possibilities of what can/ could happen afterwards etc

Yeah there are, but y'know.

For that current sequence of events and the things that unfolded in that part of the multiple universes, the thing was finished.

Though things from the other parallel universes can still enter their universe.

In that regard, every route can be considered another universe, in which different events triggered.

Just like other visual novels. Though they do discuss the existence of multiple universes in Demonbane...

Anyway, I would suppose that they didn't pick up the sequel because of sales.

Just like what Decay said before this post.

@decay think you misunderstood me a bit. i´ve no problems with 12 episode animes in general, i meant stuff like deadman wonderland, with no proper ending which forces you to read the manga.
and regarding the popularity of demonbane or its sales, i´ve to agree with you, although its pretty sad. they could have expected that to happen from the beginning

I get what you mean, but there are reasons behind it. Anime companies don't want to over-commit on what seems like it might be a risky venture, and they also don't want to corner themselves by going too far off the source material, so sometimes they just order a single cour of an adaptation and see where that takes them. This is an understandable approach. This happens in American TV often, only usually they're not adaptations so you'll never see the rest of the story in any form. 

As for Demonbane, could they have expected that? Why? At the time, there wasn't much chuuni stuff on the market so they probably didn't actually know how it would perform. Demonbane is a very unusual VN, after all. They were probably at least a little bit hopeful, otherwise they wouldn't have licensed it in the first place.

Just wait 'till Master Therion vs. Kurou.

That's some awesome stuff right there.

I'm not even a fan of mecha, to be honest.

But Demonbane?

Daaaaaaaaaaaamn.

I had thought that the vn would go back to the normal day to day life after the first chapter. And it did look like that at the start with all the fooling around, but then Therion says he wants to go and 'meet' the new master and I'm instantly on full alert and going through with full-speed. That fight was amazing. I have a thing for characters who fight with the power of 'rage' and so I totally loved the scene where Kurou punched Therion. The whole fight was gold.

From tomorrow night I'll be a bit more free and my reading speed should get a big boost. So it'll be marathon time for Demonbane.

Finished Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo

Well, what can I say? This game was brilliant on so many points I'm willing to forgive the few parts where the story dragged a bit. Fantastic protagonist, great side characters (especially the 'comic relief' best friend Isono was an amazing twist on the archetype), mind-boggling plot twists that I never saw coming and enough feels to turn me in to a pathetic crybaby time and time again. Recommended to absolutely everyone.