News From 5bp/Mages Regarding The YU-NO Remake

XReaper

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe I missed out on this thread last week or two. This is my favourite game. They probably won't do it justice.

I'm positive the remake won't be as good as the original, knowing the writer and composer have passed away, and I hear the drawing style kind of changed: almost nothing today beats classic-anime-style from decades ago in my opinion~ (about that, do you guys know any modern works that tries to recreate the 80's or 90's style?)

About my thoughts on the Remake:

The Good: The remake could potentially raise the awareness of the initial version to newcomers, making the original Yu-No more popular.

The Bad: Newcomers will likely play the seemingly degraded remake first before looking for/trying out the Original that made it a classic to begin with. I can't judge yet, but their first experience might turn out less epic that way. :(

I really want to look at the visuals, but I'm currently typing from College. Both links are blocked-out on my end, so I'll have to wait until I get home.   :unsure:  I only saw a single sprite on Google Images that appeared to be Ayumi. It's genetic looking; it looks like a typical modern style that's a bit more on the cartoony side with a touch of chibi-ness, which sadly I think takes a bit of realism out from the environmental looks of the original.

The plot, the characters, the 90's style, the flowchart and especially the music were initially my favourite parts of the game (basically every aspects, you can tell eh? :lol: ), but I've yet to listen to the remake of any of the songs. In the end though, whether it's as good as the original (kind of doubting) or not, I'll still play it for remeniscence, for sure~

EDIT: I looked at the new sprites. I'm not a big fan of the new look... but that won't stop me from playing it anyway since the original Yu-No is still my favourite story of all time.

About Yu-No's ears:

Her ears do appear too "elvish" in the remake that new players might already be spoiled about the existance of another humanoid race apart humans, which were subtle throughout most of the game and on the cover up until the ending when we see her character development. We'll see if her hair will still cover those ears at the start of the plot to hide that fact. There's something great about the idea how players are led to think that the story only involves around humans and their earthly world, aside the mysterious Hypersense Stone that—when introduced—starts to raise questions, letting players speculate on the stone's origins and thus makes the game "the mysterious Sci-fi thriller" that it should be.

• 1 month later...

WARNING: WEBSITE HAS YU-NO SPOILERS

Okay, so as I finished YU-NO I finally could look at the news and the art, and...

THIS IS A FUCKING DISGRACE.

I'm not against remakes, but this is unacceptable. Every character (except Ryuuzouji) has been butchered in appearance. A few others, like say, Mio might also be salvageable. 

But...

(full spoilers!)

Ichijou? Who's that?

Yuuki? Unnecessary genderbend.

Kanna? Looks 12.

Yu-no? Tolkien would like to have a word with you.

Toyotomi, you are NOT an otome hero.

Ayumi? Looks like a classmate rather than a mother.

Ryuuzouji? Well, it's the only sprite I'd call sufficiently respectful to the source material.

Eriko is the bastard child of Tinker Bell and a mushroom.

Mio's lost her clear "Stuck up princess" aura, but it's serviceable.

Overall, sprites have lost their variety. All the girls seem to be just slim, short bodies with a small head. The only person with a significantly unique posture is Ryuuzouji. Ichijou's sprite is attractive but doesn't suit her at all. The original sprites exude an aura that is utterly missing from these new sprites. Some of them (Mio, Ryuuzouji and Kanna) can be serviceable, but the rest of them have missed the mark by such a wide margin that they ended up three dimensions over. (Hey, maybe that's what they're trying to pull: These people are from a dimension other than Takuya's world or Dela Grande, and this whole "remake" thing is actually a farce in order to subversively release a YU-NO sequel- actually, this is probably the only thing that can salvage these sprites at this point).

Not to mention the fucking RAMPANT SPOILERS ALL OVER THE FUCKING WEBSITE. There's a blatant "Current dimension/Other dimension" distinction in the Characters section. The most marketed art is 12-year old YU-NO, who is introduced ~20 hours into the story, AKA the final third, and belongs to the epilogue which aims to be subversive. The focus they've put on the Epilogue with the current material is highly worrying, seeing as it is supposed to be a fucking surprise that there is a 10+ hour linear fantasy VN at the end of the normal routes. 

Well, to look at it from the bright side it is not a VN that will make me regret not knowing Japanese at the very least, so there's that.

I've played the original and this while it does look completely different I actually am not overly bothered by most of the art. Like all actual remakes I consider this a different game...what does piss me off is the spoilers which just goes to show how much 5pb gives a fuck about this remake. 

Don't get your hopes high for this game, reasons:

*The original writer is dead.

*A remake will never be as good as the original for many many reasons specially when the original writer and composer is not working on it.

*5pb is developing the game and it seems that they are more inclined to consoles exclusive than pcs now, so a translations seems like impossible thing.

Don't get your hopes high for this game, reasons:

*The original writer is dead.

*A remake will never be as good as the original for many many reasons specially when the original writer and composer is not working on it.

*5pb is developing the game and it seems that they are more inclined to consoles exclusive than pcs now, so a translations seems like impossible thing.

It has been stated already that there wouldn't be any substantial changes to the text and the music.

It has been stated already that there wouldn't be any substantial changes to the text and the music.

yeah the thing is what "substantial changes" means for them, specially having a console version in mind, lets be real they are not releasing games for pc anymore (when 5pb works alone they do console exclusive games), so from a +18 game version released 19 years ago to a console version released on 2015 there will be censoring for sure..

I honestly don't see the problem. Probably the only thing that will take a hit will be the h-scenes - and while I haven't read the VN yet, it doesn't sound like something that would fall apart when you omit the sex (they aren't necessarily going to remove it from there).

I also usually prefer the remake art over the old one (Higurashi, Umineko, Tsukihime), and this is no exception, so I am looking forward to this.

I think all characters have a sprite up now but the website is jacked or something and isn't displaying correctly.I can see the sprites though (after reloading numerous times).

(SPOILERS FOR THE VN)

At least they got Sayless right-ish, though I feel like she lost her charm in the remake. They literally put every major character there from Sayless to Amanda to Toyotomi to Eriko from the epilogue. Idiots.

The original YU-NO is one of the few "top tier" old school VNs that I haven't yet been able to make myself finish. Not sure why, but something about the art rubs me the wrong way, which is very strange as I usually don't care that much about visuals if the plot is good, and supposedly it's excellent.

So, I'm looking forward to this pretty hardcore. The new style appeals to me.