AX2015 Hype/News Thread - Flowers, Root Double, G-Senjou, Himawari, Alicesoft, and more announcements!

Decay

I think it's a little too early to tell where exactly the majority of their focus will end up as they're still in the midst of the transition. I think MG will at the very least keep trying to have 18+ and all-ages versions release simultaneously, but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't end up focusing more on the all-ages side of things one or two years down the line.

Maybe everyone knew, but Grisaia unrated version would be same mosaic version we already had years before. I again got completely opposite from their initial campaign... Then I see no more reason to buy that and wait for uncensored release or wait for G-Senjou to get exact same content I already have (I have physical copy from Akabesoft2 and patch from TLWiki).

They just have to be honest and inform about all details before creating campaigns. If from beginning they will tell "we would give you exact same G-senjou version with all h-cintent removed exactly as it was in the version everyone playing for 5 years already and do not even ask for uncensored unrated uncut version" - this would be honest and clear statement. Do you think they will be honest?

Honestly if they are not honest about what their intent is then people are going to stop supporting them. It's simple as that. Sekai Project, Mangagamer, and JAST are well aware that the majority of their userbase prefers the 18+ content so the likelihood of not getting any is very low. Hell one of the games sekai project just released on steam Sakura Fantasy chapter 1 apparently has an uncensored patch which they give a link to in their forum and and steam has no issue with it. 

I think the main thing is the Japanese companies themselves wish to do what they do in Japan release two different versions of the game and try to earn money from both with the 18+ version coming after the all ages version. I am pretty sure we'll get the other titles they just announced in 18+ versions. Honestly they wouldn't have gone through the trouble of creating denpasoft if they did not plan to tap that market. I'm just hoping the games they announced do not get kickstarters because then these so called announcements are not anything but potential announcements. 

Jumping back on topic does anyone know if JAST USA announces games at SDCC or did we get everything we are going to get from them for the year...not that it is a bad lineup to be honest as they are actually releasing shit on a much quicker timetable than in the past. 

They just have to be honest and inform about all details before creating campaigns. If from beginning they will tell "we would give you exact same G-senjou version with all h-cintent removed exactly as it was in the version everyone playing for 5 years already and do not even ask for uncensored unrated uncut version" - this would be honest and clear statement. Do you think they will be honest?

I think one of dovac's recent statements can shed light on this. (dovac is the CEO of Sekai Project)

Just thinking outloud, but stating 18+ [version of MuvLuv series] is coming might cause issues with Kickstarter.
Personally I would have waited till the money is in the bank.
Just my 2c

https://www.reddit.com/r/visualnovels/comments/3bnive/muvluv_kickstarter_will_use_ps3_assets_and_will/csnvkj8?context=3

If Sekai Project has plans for an 18+ release of G-Senjou, they're probably going to stay silent about it this time around until the Kickstarter is over.

I'm honestly not sure what's going on at the SDCC. There's this tweet from JAST but I can't find anything else from them about the show and I can't find any information about a potential panel for them at the event's site.

I don't want to say there will definitely be announcements there, knowing JAST there's always a great deal of room for miscommunication.

I think the main thing is the Japanese companies themselves wish to do what they do in Japan release two different versions of the game and try to earn money from both with the 18+ version coming after the all ages version. I am pretty sure we'll get the other titles they just announced in 18+ versions. Honestly they wouldn't have gone through the trouble of creating denpasoft if they did not plan to tap that market. I'm just hoping the games they announced do not get kickstarters because then these so called announcements are not anything but potential announcements. 

That's leaving a fair bit out. The way it works in the Japanese market is that most titles start out as 18+ games for the PC. If that game gets popular enough, then they'll usually port it to the PSP/PSV. Since Microsoft won't allow sexual content, they have to make it all-ages, but the idea is that in return for cutting sexual content they add in extra content so people will have a reason to buy it (along with the fact that it's a different platform). Except, over here  with Steam, you literally get nothing extra in a steam version, since it's still for PC and all the added content in the Japanese all-ages version is usually transferred to the 18+ english version anyways. Even if they are separate products, that gives Japanese producers no reason to specifically release all-ages versions over here before releasing 18+ versions other than money gains (Hi Frontwing). 

I think one of dovac's recent statements can shed light on this. (dovac is the CEO of Sekai Project)

https://www.reddit.com/r/visualnovels/comments/3bnive/muvluv_kickstarter_will_use_ps3_assets_and_will/csnvkj8?context=3

If Sekai Project has plans for an 18+ release of G-Senjou, they're probably going to stay silent about it this time around until the Kickstarter is over.

I don't think they're going to Kickstart G-Senjou seeing as how they plan to actually release the game before Summer's over. 

I don't think they're going to Kickstart G-Senjou seeing as how they plan to actually release the game before Summer's over. 

Well people are going to remain skeptical regardless because they announced the license of Grisaia no Kajitsu in July of 2014 and then mentioned it would be a kickstarter shortly after (probably because of the success of Clannad's kickstarter). Sekai project has done this with a few other games as well (if I remember correctly, could be wrong though) so I can understand the hesitation and why people are concerned about these other titles Sekai Project has "licensed". 

Will see... I only care if they will give any improvements comparing to excellent tlwiki translation, which could be only uncensored h-images. But being realist (7-year old game, gfx person most likely already disappeared from the company, and even company is not active as it was before) they most probably would again not able to get uncensored images (like it was with Grisaia - that not-yet-released unrated version will still have mosaics). Does anyone know, western publishers ever hired separate gfx person to demosaic japanese games? I never heard of that, but maybe?

Does anyone know, western publishers ever hired separate gfx person to demosaic japanese games? I never heard of that, but maybe?

It happens all the time, although they do it themselves rather than going out of their way to hire someone. Often japanese companies don't have the uncensored files or they look ridiculously bad because it's gonna be mosaiced anyway.

My favorite Doddler tweeting is when he talks about the Mangagamer staff channel discussions when they're re-drawing the dicks.

guess helvetica standart wont need to worry about getting unemployed, as he´s proven his worth already in this field, time to dive officially into that growing market of non mosaic chakalaka (growing market..sounds deep, eh?.)

edit: jast already in full preparation mode 4 comic con...lets see what´ll await us

Does anyone know, western publishers ever hired separate gfx person to demosaic japanese games? I never heard of that, but maybe?

If you're asking if JAST USA and Mangagamer hire artists, the answer is more than likely no.  The options are typically as follows:

1) Get the original uncensored data from the Japanese developers

2) Have the Japanese developers redraw the mosaiced part

3) Have someone already on staff redraw the mosaiced part (the option of last resort)

And in fact JAST has actively avoided certain games because mosaics aren't available. If they had an artist who could redraw them, we'd probably have that canceled Empress project.

I think it happens less often than people are assuming. That thing with the Doddler was that he was touching up a region because it looked bad after the mosaics were removed. It was pretty basic photoshop work. I don't think MangaGamer has ever fully redrawn censored portions before.

I have come to the conclusion that it is literally impossible for JAST to be clear about their intentions and it's incredibly frustrating trying to ask them anything. But yeah, don't expect anything from them this week and maybe they'll have something at Otakon but I doubt it.

I have come to the conclusion that it is literally impossible for JAST to be clear about their intentions and it's incredibly frustrating trying to ask them anything. But yeah, don't expect anything from them this week and maybe they'll have something at Otakon but I doubt it.

What information are you trying to extract from JAST, exactly?  They've been quite open on their official forums lately, and they were quite friendly at their booth at Anime Expo.  I'm not sure exactly what more we should be expecting of them...?

That's the odd thing about them, in some ways they're more open than the other companies, largely when talking about the business side of things, but in other ways I get the impression that they have no idea how to interact with their customers. It seems like three quarters of their replies on twitter are them completely misunderstanding the tweets being sent to them, with the rest being half-assed answers. And the amount of straight-up wrong or misleading information given by them via their various social media channels is pretty staggering. I don't think it's intentional, they just don't know what they're doing.

It happens all the time, although they do it themselves rather than going out of their way to hire someone. Often japanese companies don't have the uncensored files or they look ridiculously bad because it's gonna be mosaiced anyway.

I actually got completely opposite impression, same as Decay told. If they really were doing that all the time, they would not drop titles just because they had mosaics and there are still mosaic-only titles on MG (yes, I know that minori titles were explicitly required to have mosaics, but there were more). Also as I got from dovac posts, for him if there is no version without mosaics available from original authors = release with mosaics (Grisaia would be mosaic, if it will be released in uncut form).