Valve & HTC Announce VR Headset: Vive [TBA 2015]

Funyarinpa

This all happened after the Oculus Rift proved to be a reliable device.

After the Virtual Boy fiasco, very few companies even attempted to go there again due to the horrible stigma, but then the Oculus Rift, a device produced by a group of individuals and not one of the big companies, came to change that and other companies all took the same bait.

Now you have Sony, Microsoft and Valve all trying to have their own VR model because that's how capitalism works.

Imo the whole VR headset thing still needs improvements. Namely the fact that there's no depth when you're playing, so all that's happening is you're looking into screen very close up and after a while many people experience sickness and don't feel like playing anymore, because you're not emulating reality with depth, you're just bringing a screen really up close to your face and adding motion controls to it.

As it stands, it's just a gimmick to bait people. Then again I was never a fan of motion controls in general.

While obviously the concept is very promising, I personally still think it's still lacking key features to truly bring a virtual reality feel.

The one closest to being more "virtual reality" like is the Holo Lens which is not a gaming device but an augmented reality device, I believe that has much more practical usage right now.

Like Emi said, I see this as the next Valve modular computer or Google's Project Ara.

Looked really cool when they annouced it, but now it's pretty much died down and you haven't heard many things about it.

Some people like that, though.

Having a detacheable cord in headsets is helpful since they're the ones that break the easiest, especially in something that uses motion controls.

So you wouldn't have to bring it to an expert to repair it every time, you can just buy a replacement cord if it ever breaks.

It's the same thing with chargers, why have a cord attached to the charger when you can just buy the charger/cord seperately in case one of them breaks?

I'm one of those weirdos who thinks VR is the future and ten years from now we won't even be using computer monitors at all. 

I dream of an era where all images are beamed directly into my robotic eyeballs. 

edit: I would definitely be one of those people in I/O who replaces both eyes with cybernetic eyes. Fuck my actual eyes, who needs em'.

Microsoft and Valve are doing different things, though. They're not exactly competing with each other.

The Holo Lens is an augmented reality device, it's not a gaming specific device, they want to integrate it with an array of uses outside of gaming (though gaming is also included, just not the main focus), so basically a multimedia device.

This Valve headset is clearly targeted for gaming only and they're designing it to provide the best real time experience with a game. Nothing more, nothing less.

While they're still a pair of gigantic goggles with screens, their target audience and function is completely different.

Though i believe the Holo Lens is a much more practical device, assuming it works as intended and advertised, due to the vast array of things it's supposedly going to do, i think it can be fun to have.

But i'm not interested in Valve's headset. For me playing a game is all about sitting in front of a screen and holding a controller, not moving my head until my neck snaps, good luck to Valve, though, maybe they'll make it interesting.

I'm not sure why you're being so sarcastic here. I mean, Steam Controller is still in development, so of course it hasn't been successful, it's an unreleased product. Steam Machines haven't taken off because Valve is still tinkering on SteamOS, which is in the beta stages still. They haven't even begun to do a serious push on that initiative. Granted, I'm not very optimistic on Steam Machines and SteamOS because people are afraid of anything that isn't Windows, but my point stands.

Because both were supposed to come out a while ago in full force. And are constantly delayed. And that I think Valve gets way way too much credit for hype and promises.