Stuff to grab before torrents go down

Zodai

--FUWANOVEL.ORG AND FUWANOVEL.NET ARE TWO DIFFERENT SITES.  THE TORRENTS ARE REMOVED ON .NET, WHILE THEY ARE AVAILABLE ON .ORG FOR THE TIME BEING.  PLEASE CHECK THE URL FIRST.

So, in case you haven't heard, Fuwa's torrents are going down around the end of the month.

Basically, this is a list of everything worth grabbing before they go down, in addition to any notes about their chances of localization.  Considering how quickly the landscape is changing right now, they'll be based on pre-existing localization agreements (Stuff like Clannad's agreement with Sekaiproject) or whether or not the levels of sexual content would make an all-ages version have near-zero inherent value.  (Your nukige, or any game in the Rance series.)

Of course, this depends on how much information exists about the game in and of itself.  And with that, here goes nothing.

I'll be adding just about everything I have that's worth mentioning, in addition to a few others that seem to be popular but I haven't downloaded.

You can probably find some of these through google, but if you're like me you'd rather not risk getting a virus and going for a more reliable source (Such as Fuwa.).  So this is probably somewhat directed towards those of you similar to me in that regard.

-07th Expansion

Umineko series (Umitweak patch) , Higanbana No Saku Yoru Ni, and Rose Guns Days

Localization notes:  Pre-existing agreements with Mangagamer.  You can find Umineko and Higanbana on their site, but you'll need to patch them yourself.  If you're uncomfortable with the Mangagamer store, grab them before they go down or wait for individual Steam releases in 5-10 years or so.

-Type-Moon

Tsukihime (And Plus Disc) Kagetsu Tohya, Fate/Stay Night, and Fate/Hollow Ataraxia

-Bonus mention to Battle Moon Wars, a doujin game set in the Nasuverse.  May or may not be difficult to find after Fuwa goes down.  Haven't played Plus Disc myself.

-KEY

Little Busters! and Rewrite!  Kanon and Air as well but I haven't played them.

Localization notes:  Key has agreements with Sekaiproject.  If things go well you can expect Little Busters! and Rewrite to be on steam in the next 5-10 years.

-LIARSOFT

Inganock, Sharnoth and Forest.

No existing localization agreements, but these titles are weird as fuck.  Less likely than Type-Moon's stuff.

--EVERYTHING ELSE

Rance series.  Localization chance is near-zero.  At least grab Sengoku Rance, from what I can tell it's the best in the series.  Just note this is the one people call 'rape as character development.'  After playing it myself it's 33% accurate, but it still gives a good idea of the content.

Daibanchou is by the same people, but I'm unaware of the content level as I haven't played it. 

--Ever17

Localization notes:  Localized in a physical release in 2005, at least in NA.  You're likely to never find it.  Bit difficult to get working from what I remember, though.  If there's any one game Fuwa might be able to convince the publishers if we can keep, it would be this since it'll be 10 years since localization come December.  But don't count on it, even if it would help give us more legal torrents.

-Ayakashibito

THIS IS AMAZING.  Okay, maybe that's a bit much but it's certainly one of my personal favorites, at least amongst the less well-known ones.  Has my recommendation.

-G-Senjou no Maou

Quintessential crime drama of the VN world, or at least the closest thing to it on Fuwa.  You should be playing this.

-Sharin No Kuni

Same people as G-Senjou.  Slower-paced but still high quality.  At least 90% as good as G-Senjou.

-Cross Channel

You should be getting this.  I can't explain why, but you should be getting this.

-Muv-Luv and Muv-Luv Alternative.

Why the fuck do you not have this yet?  Baka.

In all seriousness, it's a trilogy.  Muv-Luv consists of Extra and Unlimited.  Those ones are average but Alternative is considered the holy grail of VN-ness.  It's even harder to get working than Ever17 but it's totally worth it at the end of the day, even if I haven't finished it myself.  You're going to need to ask Fuwa's tech support for this, though.

-Hoshizora no Memoria

Quite popular on Fuwa in 2013.  Supposedly the quintessential moeblob VN outside of Key's stuff.  Or something, I'm not really sure.  Anyway, it's really good but the options menu is in Japanese (You can find a translated version somewhere on the forums) and the voice acting is a bit too high-pitched.  But it's still good!

-Comyu

Quintessential 'chuuni' VN.  I think.  I think Celphas said something like that.  Really action-heavy and has a consistent theme but there's so much sex it makes you want to punch the protagonist in the face.

Also, cyberpunk dragons.  Just pointing that out.

-KillerQueen

Really good opening, and a bit darker than most. Closest to 999 or Zero Escape with high schoolers or something.  I haven't really read it past the first few sentences, though.  But it seems like it's worthwhile!  Supposedly!  I hope.

-Katahane

Haven't even opened it, not sure if it's good or not.  But people seem to like it.

-Symphonic Rain

Again, people seem to like it.  Have it but haven't really opened it yet.

-Kamidori Alchemy Meister

Haven't even downloaded it.  Going to be on my list of things to grab.  People say it's good but kind of a grindfest.

-Tomoyo After

Side-material for Tomoyo from Clannad.  It's 18+ as opposed to Clannad so it has a lesser chance of getting localized.  Download it if you plan on playing Clannad ever so you have it when you finish.  If you already have Clannad from before the torrent went down, all the better.

Special mention goes to

Kikokugai:  The Cyber Slayer

Recently had a finished translation.  I feel like it's likely it might've gone up were it not finished so closely to the server change or something.  If someone could find a non-virus torrent and make sure it's safe, we could sort it out.  It seems like something some of us might like.  There's some issues surrounding the localization as well so I can't really say this will be coming anytime soon.

Majikoi

Being translated on the Fuwa forums itself.  Somewhat worried, since it'll just be the patch and I'm unsure where a reliable source for the source game would be, but hopefully people will find a solution later.  Keep note of it.

---LIST COMPLETE

If any of you have anything to add to the list, or notes about games already on it, feel free to add them.  The stuff goes down sometime March 1st, but it could be the day before it at the earliest depending on timezones and technical details.

Good luck, and may you download swiftly!

Oh, crap.

Someone should put these up on Nyaa to prevent certain sites from making further profits from these titles when they become less available.

I'd do it, but my upload speed is 50kbps. :D

Even the 1.6gb I had to upload for the Kikokugai localization I did took me close to 8 hours.

I did say I would only provide the patch, but the game was so obscure, having only a single western torrent with 3 seeders.

A translation would be for naught if none could actually play it.

Oh, crap.

Someone should put these up on Nyaa to prevent certain sites from making further profits from these titles when they become less available.

I'd do it, but my upload speed is 50kbps. :D

Even the 1.6gb I had to upload for the Kikokugai localization I did took me close to 8 hours.

I did say I would only provide the patch, but the game was so obscure, having only a single western torrent with 3 seeders.

A translation would be for naught if none could actually play it.

I think Fuwa's torrents themselves will still be up on Nyaa, since that seems to be the source.  But they just won't be readily linked to on the front page any more.  At least, that's my understanding of things.

-Tomoyo After

Side-material for Tomoyo from Clannad.  It's 18+ as opposed to Clannad so it has a lesser chance of getting localized.  Download it if you plan on playing Clannad ever so you have it when you finish.  If you already have Clannad from before the torrent went down, all the better.

Has an all-ages version (with highly recommended added content!).

I think Fuwa's torrents themselves will still be up on Nyaa, since that seems to be the source.  But they just won't be readily linked to on the front page any more.  At least, that's my understanding of things.

Oh. Well, no problem then.

Then there's no haste in grabbing any of these.

The fuwa torrents on nyaa are already (almost) all gone because their uploader took them down for certain reasons. After the 1st of March anything uploaded with [Fuwanovel] on it has nothing to do with us.

Has an all-ages version (with highly recommended added content!).

Ah, gotcha.  So the localization is still more likely than I thought.

Thread seems to have been moved to recommendations - both seem to be 'reasonable' places but in terms of intent this seems to be more about the community as a whole banding together and grabbing everything we'll need before they go down.  It doesn't seem like a recommendation in and of itself.  Though I'll trust your judgement if that's what you think :P

The fuwa torrents on nyaa are already (almost) all gone because their uploader took them down for certain reasons. After the 1st of March anything uploaded with [Fuwanovel] on it has nothing to do with us.

Oh, so the torrents themselves are going down as well.  That's going to make things a bit more difficult after this goes through.  Though hopefully people will be able to find other places without getting their computers hit with viruses ><

Hopefully things turn out well, though.

Oh, so the torrents themselves are going down as well.  That's going to make things a bit more difficult after this goes through.  Though hopefully people will be able to find other places without getting their computers hit with viruses ><

Pretty sure some people already got everything on their HDD and alternative uploads will emerge. Hopefully they'll take the opportunity to fix the fuwa torrents that were broken :3

Don't know what's safe and what isn't though.

Pretty sure some people already got everything on their HDD and alternative uploads will emerge. Hopefully they'll take the opportunity to fix the fuwa torrents that were broken :3

Don't know what's safe and what isn't though.

Gotcha.  I'm not really good at torrent-related stuff myself, but hopefully someone will figure it out.

Also, you could use Marie's 50 translated VNs to play before you die list as a reference as well!  Those are probably all worthwhile.

Seems like a knight in shining armor is required after all.

Saveth us from mediocrity and ads, chosen one.

My computer is already infected by who knows what. But I am able to remove it every time. Experience you know. I decided to get almost everything I haven't downloaded or was interested in. You can always save it. I will probably notice one or two things in that case.

It is by far worse downloading stuff from erogedownload. 200 mb limit because I am not paying.

Yep.

Pirating is one thing, but making a profit from other people's work, whether that be an official release or a fan translation, which they don't give any credit for, by the way, is atrocious and unethical practice.

Yep.

Pirating is one thing, but making a profit from other people's work, whether that be an official release or a fan translation, which they don't give any credit for, by the way, is atrocious and unethical practice.

Indeed. I am buying the games I think is worth paying for. I am not paying to download "bad" games.

I was able to nab three VN's before they shut it all down.... Welll, I guess it's time for me to start shopping at Mangamer.  -_-

The torrents themselves are down now?  What happens when you click on the download buttons on the site?

Make sure you're using .org and not .net.  .net is where we'll be moving to - currently it's the same as the .org site except it doesn't have the torrent download buttons.

Truth be told I didn't think they'd be going down until the 1st of March ><

The torrents themselves are down now?  What happens when you click on the download buttons on the site?

Make sure you're using .org and not .net.  .net is where we'll be moving to - currently it's the same as the .org site except it doesn't have the torrent download buttons.

Truth be told I didn't think they'd be going down until the 1st of March ><

I don't think they are down yet since I'm downloading a couple of VNs right now

I havn't seen anything about this anywhere, why exaclty is this happening? And why should I visit the site after this change?

Also Koi iro Chu! Lips might not be the best VN there ever was but if you like those type of VNs, I would get it.

http://forums.fuwanovel.net/index.php?/topic/8694-important-domain-and-host-transfer/

This would be the main thread for the explanation itself.  Lots of information and debate on that end :P