Beginner in visual novels, 2 issues

grep

Hey everyone,

glad to be a part of such an awesome community. I have 2 unsolved questions with visual novels, I hope you ll help me to solve them.

First of all, I only played Gyakuten Saiban or Ace Attorney so far. I played every part on my Nintendo (3)DS, it was a great experience. Unfortunately, my knowledge about VN ends there and I decided to try something new (some more serious VN). I started Saya no Uta, and noticed 2 things:

1) There is no real game-play or interaction so far? Everything is like a book, text, text and more text :) Are there any choices, or is it always like this? Some comparison with Gyakuten Saiban maybe?

2) About H-scenes, they are present, but they are censored (pixelated)? I mean, I know they censor everything in Japan, is it the same with VN world, no explicit nudity like in H-videos?

Thx for you answers

Andreas

Hey everyone,

glad to be a part of such an awesome community. I have 2 unsolved questions with visual novels, I hope you ll help me to solve them.

First of all, I only played Gyakuten Saiban or Ace Attorney so far. I played every part on my Nintendo (3)DS, it was a great experience. Unfortunately, my knowledge about VN ends there and I decided to try something new (some more serious VN). I started Saya no Uta, and noticed 2 things:

1) There is no real game-play or interaction so far? Everything is like a book, text, text and more text :) Are there any choices, or is it always like this? Some comparison with Gyakuten Saiban maybe?

2) About H-scenes, they are present, but they are censored (pixelated)? I mean, I know they censor everything in Japan, is it the same with VN world, no explicit nudity like in H-videos?

Thx for you answers

Andreas

1) Many VN's have choices. I can't enlighten you on this particular case (never played it), but usually there are some choices. Gameplay is rarer, but it also exists.

2) All Japanese content censors genitals. No exceptions. However, English content has no such restrictions, so while rare, some of the localized games might have actually been uncensored.

Edit:

Welcome to the forums because I have been told it is common courtesy to say this.  -_-

Edited by Tiagofvarela

Edit:

Welcome to the forums because I have been told it is common courtesy to say this.  -_-

Tiag the tyrant

Alot of vn's make you play through them the first time with out choices after the first play through you can usually make choices and change routes, as for the mosaics its the same as anime or manga anything below the waist= censored

@Tiag''s statement lel did someone actually PM you to edit in that welcome or do you just mean in general you thought you should welcome

~~~

Welcome to forums, grep  :mare:

To answer your questions,

1) Yup, Visual Novels are are pretty much as they sound- they are visual novels :D. A book with text, text, more text, character sprites, backgrounds, CGs, music, SFX, voices, etc. 

VNs do tend to have choices which can lead to branching plotlines, though there are some that do not have choices and are linear (Kinetic Novels). Visit our Lexicon for a bestiary of common terminologies!

2) Indeed. H-scenes are censored (pixelated). 

edit: Oh, but adding on to Tiago's "English content has no such restrictions, so while rare, some of the localized games might have actually been uncensored." the opposite is also true:

Moenovel's localization of IMHHW  :makina:

H-scenes of Saya no Uta was pixelated?

I had thought it was uncensored, given it was JAST.

Just like what they did in Saya no Uta.

Unless you're using the non-JAST version.

I'm not sure if all eroges translated by official companies are released uncensored, but I think most of them are, if not all.

Thx for answers, its more clear to me now?

But what about Ace Attorney, I mean had interaction there? Is there anything similar to this, or even better is there a name for this type of VN?

@KosakiFag
I think I am playing JAST (non-censored) version, H-scenes are present , but everything bellow censored. If I understood properly, its always like that with VNs from Japan, its uncensored in a sense that H-scenes are present but no explicit nudity?

Thx for answers, its more clear to me now?

But what about Ace Attorney, I mean had interaction there? Is there anything similar to this, or even better is there a name for this type of VN?

Games like Ace Attorney are not considered VN's in the truest sense of the word, with the only similarities concerning how it was made in Japan and how it uses a text box.

In fact, some elitists prefer to call it an "Adventure Game" so you could go with that.

For similar titles, I present to you:

-Dangan Ronpa.

This is pretty similar in the sense that it is a mystery where you solve crimes. There's 'gameplay'.

Another series with gameplay and quite a bit of mystery:

-999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors

And the sequel:

-Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward

@Tiag''s statement lel did someone actually PM you to edit in that welcome or do you just mean in general you thought you should welcome

I plead the fifth, those annoying ruffians.  <_<

I think Ace Attorney has some kind of gameplay.

Visual Novels tend to be all about reading and choosing choices to progress in the game.

Some are just full-blown reading.

About censoring,

It should typically be something like this in most cases.

http://i44.tinypic.com/35bzivl.jpg

However, western companies (like JAST) tend to uncensor theirs, leading to something like this.

http://ignis.anime-sharing.com/vault/files/26958_iqtaz/ell_04.jpg

Got it. So only JAST offers uncensored versions, Is it possible to swap images with regular version in order to keep jap audio (if present ofc)?

For the investigating part, there's Kara no Shoujo if you don't mind gore (it's prequel Cartagra doesn't have the interactive element).

Chain the Lost Footprints and EVE burst error kind of have a similar system but in that case you're just selecting options in the text box also with the former it's really obvious.

I don't remember if MangaGamer releases uncensored stuff too, since it's been a while since I've played one of their games.

But it's not just JAST.

I think Sekai Project's offering an uncensored Grisaia no Kajitsu as well.

Yeah. So basically western companies translating eroges.

Edit: I looked it up.

Koihime Musou's uncensored as well.

So yeah. MangaGamer uncensors too.

About JAP audio... It's always JAP audio as far as I'm concerned.

Its always JAP audio? Thats great.

Anyway, will  investigate a little bit on VNDB, I am interested in those Western companies and also, would like to find more VN with ACTIVE gameplay. Guess I cant cope with it being just a book :)

Anyway, will  investigate a little bit on VNDB, I am interested in those Western companies and also, would like to find more VN with ACTIVE gameplay. Guess I cant cope with it being just a book :)

Phoenix Wright is an adventure game which has a Visual Novel story telling method. That is, the gameplay conforms to that of an adventure game while the story elements conform to that of a visual novel. If you're looking for this sort of game, I wouldn't confine yourself to just the Japanese offerings. Broken Sword 5, for example:

Broken-Sword-5-01.jpg

When I first started playing visual novels I had this impression that it would be something like an rpg (role playing game) where my choices affected the overall game play. Some visual novels have minor choices but they are not a prime part of the game. However, please don't be disappointed with this. There is so much to visual novels than H scenes and choices my friend.

When I first started playing visual novels I had this impression that it would be something like an rpg (role playing game) where my choices affected the overall game play. Some visual novels have minor choices but they are not a prime part of the game. However, please don't be disappointed with this. There is so much to visual novels than H scenes and choices my friend.

They do sensor H-scenes... but it isn't like it really matters.  It is an actual legal issue for companies over there.

There are hybrid VNs, even a few action-rpg types.  However, generally speaking, VNs aren't meant to be real-time play games.  They are a storytelling medium first, a game a distant second.  VN storytelling elements are used a lot more often now than they used to be in jrpgs, because it really is a really, really, effective way to tell a story.  There are a lot of people who debate whether the two you mentioned you played before Saya no Uta are even really VNs at all.  I reserve judgment, seeing as I haven't actually played them, though.

Edit:  That said, most VNs have multiple endings, which are picked up dependent on what choices you make.  However, since the reasons why those choices can lead in a certain direction are... less than obvious in most cases, most people just use the walkthrough and treat it like a variation on novels, that happen to have pictures, music, and voices attached.

I dare say, some would disagree with this statement.

As will all. After all, not all are like me nor share my views.

Well I can live without H-scenes. But no gameplay choice?

Cmon man, you practically ruined everything :)

We have to look at the core aspect of visual novels here man. They're practically a story(semi Linear). Adding choices that would deviate from its course would actually ruin its purpose no ?

Look. There are choices when it comes to choosing which Heroine you will be pursuing :P is that what you were wondering?

Tiago's right. VNs are about H-scenes and only about H-scenes and any VN without H-scene is trash that shouldn't be read  :Kappa:  :scottsune:  :conspiracy: 

~~
@Grep: sounds like VNs just aren't for you, if you so desire gameplay elements. As Clephas said, VNs are a storytelling medium first, a game a distant second.

~~
@Grep: sounds like VNs just aren't for you, if you so desire gameplay elements. As Clephas said, VNs are a storytelling medium first, a game a distant second.

Well like I said, I really liked Aced Attorney serial, but once I started to look deeper, everyone is like "oh sorry man no gameplay". Or Ace Attorney was unique of its kind.