2 members have voted

1. 1. What anime will we watch?

• Utawarerumono
    • Rage of Bahamut: Genesis
    • Blood Lad
    • Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu

This poll is closed to new votes

Finished watching Plastic Memories Ep.2

Most of the episode focused on how Isla is carrying a heavy burden due to the fact that she has been paired up with a somewhat incompetent spotter. She also seems to be working hard because of her own personal grievance with herself about her own limits. It's still up in the air as to what it means to actually rend memories or what ends up happening to them once they have been taken away from a Giftia. It was nice seeing Isla work so hard, but the ending definitely makes light of the impending reality since it seems that her efforts will be for naught. Gosh, I hope this series doesn't have a sad ending, I don't do very well with those...

One thing I was a bit confused on was toward the end of the episode when that guy said that Giftia can't reach 100% because they don't forget. What exactly did he mean by this?

Anyway, I tend to leave things last minute so that things are fresh in my mind, so I'll be doing a marathon of both movies for this cycle and report back in later today.

One thing I was a bit confused on was toward the end of the episode when that guy said that Giftia can't reach 100% because they don't forget. What exactly did he mean by this?

I think it means that it's not that she forgot how to do her job right, she just can't do it right because she's getting "old".

I think it means that it's not that she forgot how to do her job right, she just can't do it right because she's getting "old".

Hmm, yeah, I guess that makes sense. It's too bad for the protagonist that he became her partner so late into her lifespan. They're so far in the future it's weird how they just can't back up their memories on a flash drive or database and place them in another Giftia, so much for wishful thinking.

Here is my review for the Girl Who Leaped Through Time.

Story 6/10

A simple growing up story where a girl learns to manage power responsibly and to let others move forward with their lives even if it means relinquishing a bit of control in the process. In the beginning most of the story revolves around Makoto at school and her interactions with her friends. When she falls in one of the rooms at school she finds a mysterious item that givers her the ability to leap through time, albeit it only serves to send her back in time and not in the future. She loses control of her bike while going downhill and inadvertently ends up using her time traveling powers, thereby sending her back only moments before she would have been killed by a train. The story progress with Makoto using her powers for selfish but otherwise harmless endeavors. It is only until later that she realizes that changing one aspect of her life will result in a ripple effect around her. The movie comes to a climax when she realizes that her 'charge' is running out and she is unable to use her powers to set things right. Ultimately, the movie ends with lots of questions still up in the air and is a bit bittersweet when one realizes that Makoto and Chiaki aren't meant to live in the same era. The viewer never finds out the mechanics behind the time travel or how a simple burst of speed is enough to propel one forward(?) into the past. The envoy from the future by the name of Chiaki is dismissed as just being that one guy that can teach Makoto right and wrong, without giving any hint as to why the painting was so important to him in the first place.

Characters 8/10

Makoto is a very endearing character that will make you laugh aloud when you least expect it. She's a tomboy who enjoys playing baseball and catch with her Chiaki and Kousuke. She doesn't seem to have many aspirations and instead resorts to banter in order to escape from reality. Her ability to time travel shows how she's not ready to move forward with her life and allow herself to experience new things. She attempts to fix trivial matters instead of letting nature run its course and ends up regretting her actions when other people are hurt because of her selfishness. Her epiphany at the end is for the most part thanks to Chiaki intervening by exhausting his own powers. The movie focuses a bit too much on the hilarity of the situations as a result of Makoto's powers and doesn't delve as deeply into her state of mind as she contemplates her place in the world.

Chiaki is one of Makoto's closest friends who likes to joke around a lot and has a soft spot for Makoto. It is only near the end of the movie that we see the full extent of their relationship in flashbacks of alternate dimensions where Chiaki making an effort to let Makoto how he feels about her. When his role as an envoy from the future is revealed he becomes more of an enigma without a clear purpose as to why he is in this era in the first place. Is his era a post-apocalyptic setting where he has been sent back in order to uncover the secret that can avert destruction? The full extent of his mission is never revealed so as it stands he serves more as a device to get Makoto to a certain point in her development.

Kousuke is Makoto's other best friend who is generally liked by everyone at school, even earning a loving glance from a shy girl at school. He seems to be oblivious to the events around him, not once noticing the feelings that the other girl is trying to share with him in any of the possible timelines. Overall, the trio serves well to keep the viewer's attention and bolster Makoto's growth until the end of the movie. Their interactions were quite natural and it's clear that despite the fact that they may well go their separate ways they will always be close friends.

Art 7/10

When focused on the characters the detail present is very well done and serves to show their emotions quite well to the audience. The sudden change in Makoto's eyes as she's about to cry, the look of surprise, and the overall transformation from composed to angry in some of the secondary characters are also very clear. Some of the problems arise the camera zooms out and you can no longer tell who's who cause everyone loses their faces, all defining characteristics turn into unrecognizable blobs of flesh out of horror movie. On the other hand, the backgrounds and settings were nicely detailed and serve to immerse the viewer in the world at hand. The lively city, the museum, and even the riverside are all vibrant settings that make the world come to life.

Soundtrack 7/10

Not one to focus on this aspect of movie or anime so I'll just say that the somber piano pieces reflect the sudden change in tone when Makoto is pensive or otherwise troubled by the consequences of her actions. The ending song and the insert song are also quite nice and the lyrics match the overall tone of the film.

Enjoyment 8/10

I quite enjoyed the character interactions and the comedic tone of the movie. The serious undertones served to highlight the dangers of time travel and though the explanations and mechanics are lackluster the characters more than make up for the price of admission (my time :P ) worth it. Not groundbreaking by any means but the overall execution makes the film quite the memorable experience which I'll be sure to revisit one day. The themes are simple and to the point and don't require too much analysis. A decent film about accepting the passage of time and becoming responsible for one's actions.

Overall 8/10

Here is my review for the Girl Who Leaped Through Time.

Story 6/10

A simple growing up story where a girl learns to manage power responsibly and to let others move forward with their lives even if it means relinquishing a bit of control in the process. In the beginning most of the story revolves around Makoto at school and her interactions with her friends. When she falls in one of the rooms at school she finds a mysterious item that givers her the ability to leap through time, albeit it only serves to send her back in time and not in the future. She loses control of her bike while going downhill and inadvertently ends up using her time traveling powers, thereby sending her back only moments before she would have been killed by a train. The story progress with Makoto using her powers for selfish but otherwise harmless endeavors. It is only until later that she realizes that changing one aspect of her life will result in a ripple effect around her. The movie comes to a climax when she realizes that her 'charge' is running out and she is unable to use her powers to set things right. Ultimately, the movie ends with lots of questions still up in the air and is a bit bittersweet when one realizes that Makoto and Chiaki aren't meant to live in the same era. The viewer never finds out the mechanics behind the time travel or how a simple burst of speed is enough to propel one forward(?) into the past. The envoy from the future by the name of Chiaki is dismissed as just being that one guy that can teach Makoto right and wrong, without giving any hint as to why the painting was so important to him in the first place.

Characters 8/10

Makoto is a very endearing character that will make you laugh aloud when you least expect it. She's a tomboy who enjoys playing baseball and catch with her Chiaki and Kousuke. She doesn't seem to have many aspirations and instead resorts to banter in order to escape from reality. Her ability to time travel shows how she's not ready to move forward with her life and allow herself to experience new things. She attempts to fix trivial matters instead of letting nature run its course and ends up regretting her actions when other people are hurt because of her selfishness. Her epiphany at the end is for the most part thanks to Chiaki intervening by exhausting his own powers. The movie focuses a bit too much on the hilarity of the situations as a result of Makoto's powers and doesn't delve as deeply into her state of mind as she contemplates her place in the world.

Chiaki is one of Makoto's closest friends who likes to joke around a lot and has a soft spot for Makoto. It is only near the end of the movie that we see the full extent of their relationship in flashbacks of alternate dimensions where Chiaki making an effort to let Makoto how he feels about her. When his role as an envoy from the future is revealed he becomes more of an enigma without a clear purpose as to why he is in this era in the first place. Is his era a post-apocalyptic setting where he has been sent back in order to uncover the secret that can avert destruction? The full extent of his mission is never revealed so as it stands he serves more as a device to get Makoto to a certain point in her development.

Kousuke is Makoto's other best friend who is generally liked by everyone at school, even earning a loving glance from a shy girl at school. He seems to be oblivious to the events around him, not once noticing the feelings that the other girl is trying to share with him in any of the possible timelines. Overall, the trio serves well to keep the viewer's attention and bolster Makoto's growth until the end of the movie. Their interactions were quite natural and it's clear that despite the fact that they may well go their separate ways they will always be close friends.

Art 7/10

When focused on the characters the detail present is very well done and serves to show their emotions quite well to the audience. The sudden change in Makoto's eyes as she's about to cry, the look of surprise, and the overall transformation from composed to angry in some of the secondary characters are also very clear. Some of the problems arise the camera zooms out and you can no longer tell who's who cause everyone loses their faces, all defining characteristics turn into unrecognizable blobs of flesh out of horror movie. On the other hand, the backgrounds and settings were nicely detailed and serve to immerse the viewer in the world at hand. The lively city, the museum, and even the riverside are all vibrant settings that make the world come to life.

Soundtrack 7/10

Not one to focus on this aspect of movie or anime so I'll just say that the somber piano pieces reflect the sudden change in tone when Makoto is pensive or otherwise troubled by the consequences of her actions. The ending song and the insert song are also quite nice and the lyrics match the overall tone of the film.

Enjoyment 8/10

I quite enjoyed the character interactions and the comedic tone of the movie. The serious undertones served to highlight the dangers of time travel and though the explanations and mechanics are lackluster the characters more than make up for the price of admission (my time :P ) worth it. Not groundbreaking by any means but the overall execution makes the film quite the memorable experience which I'll be sure to revisit one day. The themes are simple and to the point and don't require too much analysis. A decent film about accepting the passage of time and becoming responsible for one's actions.

Overall 8/10

O.K. kids here's the low-down.

Since I am in hell the next few weeks, I will likely not be participating in this cycle.   Thus, I have decided to go with Nosebleed's idea of having a Retro Cycle. 

Thus, please recommend an anime that came out before the year 2000 while fitting the other requirements.

Watched Perfect Blue

It's one of the more realistic animes out there. The theme is psychological with a bit of horror, and the execution of the theme is really good.

The movie is really good and makes the most out of each character. That last plot twist was really unexpected.

All that being said, I didn't really enjoy it much. I do like psychological stuff but while this one was pretty good at handling the theme ......... don't know it just didn't resonate with me I guess. 

Will there be a random choice between what people suggest and what is given to me? Or do I just do the one I suggested? Sorry, I just didn't understand well and I didn't really try either.

I suggest Maso Kishin Cybuster. I've been rather interested in seeing it, but I've never gotten around to doing so. I'm pretty sure there's a subbed version, but I'm not 100% sure.