Stray Cat

2 members have voted

1. 1. What anime will we watch?

• Utawarerumono
    • Rage of Bahamut: Genesis
    • Blood Lad
    • Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu

This poll is closed to new votes

Yes, that's the kind of stuff it allows for.

There's a very famous cut like that during episode 24 that lasts for like an entire minute. Even though that one is there for production issues reasons (the production started becoming hell from episode 16, which reflects on the series but it's still the most interesting part of it), it's a clever way of saving up time that still nails the intent of the scene: it's almost physically painful to look at that fixed shot for so long when there's such a tension and hesitation going on (not spoiling further of course, it's a pretty important scene).

I would like to apologize to Stay Cat for signing up for the Anime Club but failing to participate. No matter the effort you put into it I was an inconvenience by not following through (multiple times). I will refrain from participating in the future until I get myself back on track.

I would like to apologize to Stay Cat for signing up for the Anime Club but failing to participate. No matter the effort you put into it I was an inconvenience by not following through (multiple times). I will refrain from participating in the future until I get myself back on track.

No need bud, I don't think anyone really cares that much (unless you voted for Milky Holmes, then people probably hate your guts  :makina: )

Either way, if you want to keep signing up or not doesn't really matter either way, just do what you want to do. 

No need bud, I don't think anyone really cares that much (unless you voted for Milky Holmes, then people probably hate your guts  :makina: )

Either way, if you want to keep signing up or not doesn't really matter either way, just do what you want to do. 

Well I'm relieved to hear that. And no I didn't vote for Milky Holmes but I did enjoy it quite a bit.

Also what movie got picked while I was gone?

Asuka really doesn't have the same role or personality in the original series and the rebuild movies. That's probably why they changed her middle name from Souryuu to Shikinami. If by 'getting better' you mean 'turning dere' then abandon all hope. The very word of tsundere didn't exist when Evangelion aired.

Idk I find Asuka more interesting in the TV series. Her own introspection serves as a counterpoint to Shinji's.

Also ironically, she's not a tsundere yet she inspired a bazillion of tsundere characters later... including her rebuild self.

9 episodes in so far, I would definitely have dropped this already if it wasn't supposedly leading up to something more interesting. It's not bad but some things are just... odd.

Dancing your way to victory? Really?

:amane:

Also they're really laying the symbolism on thick - Rei and 00, Adam and Eva, Angels with cross-shaped beams, etc.

9 episodes in so far, I would definitely have dropped this already if it wasn't supposedly leading up to something more interesting. It's not bad but some things are just... odd.

Dancing your way to victory? Really?

:amane:

Also they're really laying the symbolism on thick - Rei and 00, Adam and Eva, Angels with cross-shaped beams, etc.

Haha yeah, most of the episodes in the action arc (especially the dancing ones) are homage to the old super robot anime (Mazinger & co), so it's kinda over the top.

The religious symbolism is mostly there for the style. "I chose the name Evangelion because it sounded cool" -Hideaki Anno, director.

The Freudian symbolism, on the other hand...

Believe it or not, she'll have a rougher time in the "shit get realz" part (ep16-24) than in Rebuild, lol.

Reminds me of the ending(end of evangelion).

I soooo did not expect the show to end like that, but I would say that the strangling scene was quite well executed.

Soooo... The only episode I haven't watched is the last one.

I guess a good summary of the show is:

Shinji, get in the fucking robot and beat that Angel.

Comments:

Now, now... Really? The 17th Angel died 

that fast? Although it may be argued that it was the most human of all the Angels, there's one thing I do wonder... It seems as if the Angels keep on getting more intelligent. Does this perhaps mean that the previous Angel serves as a template for the next Angel? Have all the Angels been in existence even before the destruction of the Angel prior to them? If that's so, then where did they all come from? Where did Adam come from? What of the Angels inside the Evangelion Units? Do Angels have souls? If that's so, then is the reason why the pilots are sometimes refused by the Evas the soul? I'm very much confused. I'm quite curious, and I'd love to know. Guess I'll end up finishing everything.

Also, Episode 25 felt like a direct view of everyone's backstories. Or, perhaps, backstories based on whatever Shinji has heard? I don't think that's possible though, since it may be as well based on everyone's experiences. I mean, even Rei's conflict was there. If it's not that, then is it possible that each case pertains to a different test subject in the Human Instrumentalization Project by Gendou Ikari? I'm not even sure if that's the exact name of the project. If that's the case, then does that mean they're all in their own little world? Also, based on the different scenes I saw (Ritsuko and Mitsuko were apparently shot), does that mean that Gendou Ikari has extracted their souls or minds or whatever and are using these as test subjects for his project? Did he do the same for everyone? Is this the product of the attaining of the so-called Promised Day by SEELE? Did Shinji fight Angels just for this? And is this what Kaworu meant when he said that he finally understood everything?

I'm also curious why Kaworu referred to humans as Lilims. And what did he refer to as Lilith? Agh. I'm so confused. But that's what makes the show even more intriguing. I guess this is why there are a lot of fans.

In short, I'm having a lot of fun right now. Fuck you, Gendou Ikari.

Let's see where the last episode will lead me.

Trying to piece everything together is part of the fun of Evangelion :3 You won't be able to answer everything though.

To provide a bit of context about the last two episodes, basically the original draft for those episodes was rejected by the broadcasters (they were wary ever since the broadcast of stuff like ep 16 or 19...), and Anno replaced them with those two purely introspective episodes that don't really provide much conclusion to the events themselves (it's more a conclusion to the character side of things). That created an outrage among fans (death threats are such fun), and later what should have been the actual last two episodes became the End of Evangelion movie.

Which doesn't mean watching EoE will make you any less confused, to be honest =o But the two alternative endings complete each others.