RWBY Thoughts?

Nosebleed

Putting this in General Discussion so it won't start a "diz is not animu" argument.

I watched this 2 days ago and honestly I have to say I really became obsessed with it.

I spent my time last night reading fanfics of it too~

I was wondering if anyone here in the forums even cares/appreciates RWBY.

I know the artstyle puts a lot of people off (it looks like it was made in Miku Miku Dance, and not the more recent ones) and honestly I was put off by it at first and dropped it but I picked it back up a few days ago and thought "maybe the content will make it worth it" and boy it sure did.

RWBY's universe and characters are pretty well crafted out, the series' pacing is pretty good and I genuinely had fun watching it and discovering more about each character.

It gave me new favorite pairings too~

What surprised me the most was the fight scenes which were actually well choreographed and were pretty fun to watch given they were made with 3D models.

RWBY as a whole is also a breakthrough for being one of the few (if there is even any) "anime like" web series (creators call it anime but i don't want to go there) that was picked up for a dub in Japan.

Japan actually wanted something America created which is rather rare (aside from big box office stuff) and RWBY will be sold in Japan in 2015 with a Japanese dub (so if your weeb brain can't handle English voice acting, here you go)

I find it amazing that something so simple created a rather noticeable fandom and following and while I was put off by it at first, I have to say it completely grew on me as I was watching it and now I can't wait for volume 3 of RWBY.

So, do any of you know about this show?

How do you feel about it?

Ant favorite character?

Do you think shows like this are of any relevance in the industry?

Is RWBY full of potential?

I hope i'm not the only soul here that cares about this show.

To the people who find it repulsive looking, I beg of you to give it a chance, to try and remember it's something produced with a small budget, for free (you can watch all episodes on youtube on the official channel) and please turn off your otaku/weeaboo mode and judge it as something made in the West. And maybe you'll even come to the conlusion that not every "anime like" show that America produces is bound to be a complete trainwreck.

Or maybe i'm just completely blind and a heretic for watching something that is not anime, please excuse my sins if that's the case, but I regret nothing.

PS: WhiteRose is now my 2nd favorite OTP after watching the whole show, I regret absolutely nothing

I watched up to the first good fight scene during the exam (?) and when team RWBY was actually formed, then just sorta lost interest, so I can't comment as a whole. I really can't remember why I lost interest either, all I know is I still watch the Red and White trailers because they're awesome.

Yes, the fight scenes are extremely well choreographed, have you seen the Dead Fantasy series?

I'm judging it as something made in the west yet my standard is still set high since Legend of Aang and Legend of Korra is made in the west.... so yeah.... :P

Well aside the not-so-good storyline and rather awful voicing, everything else is pretty good. The soundtracks are all pretty amazing and combined with the quite the choreographed fights, it's a pretty entertaining show. The characters design are eye catching and it goes with their personality. It has potential and I think they don't need to fix the story honestly. Just fix the voicing and increase the action with more epic soundtracks and I'll recommend that show to everybody :D

P.S. RWBY is not a chinese cartoon! asdafagfagr

I watched up to the first good fight scene during the exam (?) and when team RWBY was actually formed, then just sorta lost interest, so I can't comment as a whole. I really can't remember why I lost interest either, all I know is I still watch the Red and White trailers because they're awesome.

Yes, the fight scenes are extremely well choreographed, have you seen the Dead Fantasy series?

I would definitely recommend you pick it back up, I can't really tell you if you'll regain interest or not but after team RWBY is formed things start going down the character development path and it's genuinely nice to see, but the series also doesn't forget the universe it's set in so you'll also start seeing the evil plot unfold behind the scenes, slowly and mysteriously (they still have yet to reveal a lot of stuff).

I have not seen Dead Fantasy but after googling it I might.

I'm judging it as something made in the west yet my standard is still set high since Legend of Aang and Legend of Korra is made in the west.... so yeah.... :P

Well aside the not-so-good storyline and rather awful voicing, everything else is pretty good. The soundtracks are all pretty amazing and combined with the quite the choreographed fights, it's a pretty entertaining show. The characters design are eye catching and it goes with their personality. It has potential and I think they don't need to fix the story honestly. Just fix the voicing and increase the action with more epic soundtracks and I'll recommend that show to everybody :D

P.S. RWBY is not a chinese cartoon! asdafagfagr

Well comparing it to avatar is still a little unfair given the circumstances they're produced in, but I see your point, at least you didn't outright throw it out the window.

And how could I forget the awesome soundtrack~

I thought the voice acting got better as it went to be honest, though I'm not comparing it to Japanese voice acting or anything, I do think it's more than tolerable. Maybe i got used to some of its cheesyness as it went too :P (Yang's awful puns, can't have enough of them)

I enjoyed parts of season one but didn't get around to season two.  I'm pretty sure there's already a topic in anime/manga: https://forums.fuwanovel.net/index.php?/topic/6835-rwby/?hl=rwby

Some of the best music I've ever heard for sure and good fight scenes but parts of the first season seemed weak or uninteresting to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmAsD8aRHBA

I enjoyed parts of season one but didn't get around to season two. I'm pretty sure there's already a topic in anime/manga: https://forums.fuwanovel.net/index.php?/topic/6835-rwby/?hl=rwby

Not exactly the same (i'm not even sure what that thread wants to discuss), i wanted to get impressions on rwby's story (and post mine) and stuff and possibly what people think it could represent in the industry i guess.

I see it might get boring in the more fluff filled episodes but i think that was relevant to the characters' development.

I forgot to ask, what's everyone's favorite character? If you have any that is.

I stopped somewhere in the second season when my assignments began piling up. I've been too lazy to pick up from where I left off, I'll probably pick it back up once season three is about to start.

For a person who isn't interested in Western shows that much, RWBY is pretty interesting. I like their character designs and weapons, they're really nice. Also, can't forget about them fight scenes.

At the beginning I was really disappointed with Weiss' character. The trailer made her look so amazing but once she was introduced, I was like ".....why". Regardless I still think Weiss is my favourite with Blake following right after. Ren is my favourite from the other team, Nora is hilarious and Penny is awesome. 

with her Nanoha beam and everything she did during the first season

You should continue it, the later episodes really have some "twists" that leave you anxious to know more as well as an awesome action scene at the end that i don't want to spoil.

I was also saddened with Weiss' character at first but she became quite the charming tsundere after (and i generally dislike the tsundere type).

I really think she has a lot of room for development as she's one of the characters who's past has barely been touched on. She's pretty cute overall.

Her and Ruby's friendship was my favorite thing to see, they hated each other at first but now are inseparable, seeing them play that card game was hilarious, i think they're so cute together.

Needless to say my top characters are Ruby and Weiss, i can't put one above the other.

RxlB5wT.jpg

iFrC7Fd.jpg

After reading this i've put it on my anime list of things to watch, if i hate it i shall smack you with a fish 

Well you should probably not lump it together with other "anime" and judge it as its own thing.

Just so you won't smack me with a fish.

I hope you enjoy it :)

i should give it another chance..

just that i really cant like the 3d.. for some reason. 

watched 1 episode and havent seen any since then

That's what I did 3 days ago, then I marathoned the whole thing :P

I think RWBY shines with its characters, the universe it's set in, the story and of course the soundtrack, I ended up just putting the 3D behind me because the rest was more than interesting to make it all worth it. You kind of stop caring when you're used to it too, at least I did.

Also in S2 the 3D gets slightly better (at least the textures)

I got into this a while ago because some friends recommended it. It's better than it looks? The first episode I thought "so why is this popular in any way?" then eventually I began to like it and my friends are already loving it so... the more you watch the more you'll like it? :D

The fights are amazing though, like other people said too, if the voice acting was a little bit better there would be no reason to not watch it, since art kinda grows on you. 

Also I was pleasantly surprised by this: http://theelectricpress.wordpress.com/2014/12/18/rwby-figures-ruby-rose-figure-by-threezero/

After reading this i've put it on my anime list of things to watch, if i hate it i shall smack you with a fish 

You should watch the trailers before the show itself. Some of the best fight scenes are in the trailers themselves and don't appear in the show, rather the trailers lead up to the events of the series.

Yang is best girl. *drops microphone* *exit stage left*

(Honest thoughts, I enjoyed it.. but I wanted to marathon it.. so I stopped somewhere in the first season and still have not gotten around to continuing it just yet. Soon though. Soooon. It is definitely something noteworthy, as long as you do not ask the question of "is it an anime or not". That question will raise the legions...  :wacko: )

• 2 weeks later...

The thing I like most about RWBY are the battle animations. They were choreographed so well. I also like how they designed the 3D models. I tried out 3D modelling once, and it's a painful task building a nice looking chara from scratch, so I can see how much effort it probably took them to make the whole thing.

My favorite is Blake. I love her personality and design. Weiss is also really cute. :D

RWBY is made by Roosterteeth, more specifically Monty Oum.

As Ceris said, you could try watching the dead fantasy series. This was the series that Monty Oum created and attracted the attention of RT which gave him the job there (He worked on RvB before given permission to start his own series RWBY). It's also the reason why the fight scenes are so good because of his experience with such scenes.

For the art style, it's not good or bad, just different. I suppose its up to your opinion. Most likely, this style was used because they were most experienced with the programs used to create RvB.

The soundtrack was created by Jeff Williams. The soundtrack for RWBY though, surpasses all expectations and could compete and at times surpass most AAA composers. 

You can easily tell that RWBY was created with a lot of passion. I agree with nosebleed that its very interesting. I would say it has a lot of potential as they have yet to fully explore the world.

Again the fight scenes are Monty's specialty and its amazing how they sync the motions with their attacks and music.

Unfortunately, I am very worried about the writers for RWBY, they have almost 0 experience and that is very apparent in the S1 Bully Arc which could have been written better by a 5 year old...

By the way, here's something fun about the creation of RWBY's world / Map

From  8:00  onwards 

Map creation 9:45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kymVnsIUWLY

I felt that the story got better as it went. S1 had some obvious flaws in the story but it got better after that in my opinion.

Yeah the school arcs and character development arcs were kind of iffy at first, but I still liked that sort of cheesyness and I don't think the show is heading in any generally bad direction because of them.

If anything I think they can only go up from this point on, hopefully.

Though I wonder when vol 3 will come out, how long did it take between vol 1 and 2?

I felt that the story got better as it went. S1 had some obvious flaws in the story but it got better after that in my opinion.

Yeah the school arcs and character development arcs were kind of iffy at first, but I still liked that sort of cheesyness and I don't think the show is heading in any generally bad direction because of them.

If anything I think they can only go up from this point on, hopefully.

Though I wonder when vol 3 will come out, how long did it take between vol 1 and 2?

At RTX each year they show a panel before release, I believe it's during summer if I recall. They then release 1 episode per week on their website and a week later on Youtube.

Past panels if you're interested:

So to answer your question, they do 1 volume per year.

I've been a fan of the makers of rwby for a couple years now and it was really amazing to see them do something different like this. Even if you didn't like the first season you should keep going, even the makers said that s1 was basically exposition, and that S2 is where it starts to pick up. I think this should most definitely count as anime it is animated, but it doesn't fall under japananime. Hopefully RWBY will spark other western creators to make anime that was we can slowly over time have the anime market in the west grow and open up more anime related jobs. This could also of course make anime more popular in the west and then visual novels so it all serves fuwa's purpose.

As for the voice actors if you watch a lot of their other stuff voice of ruby does a lot of game stuff so it's funny to see her voice change. They do put a lot of inside jokes in there including yang's puns which is referencing the voice actor. Anyway the best girl is of course weiss.

As for the voice actors if you watch a lot of their other stuff voice of ruby does a lot of game stuff so it's funny to see her voice change. They do put a lot of inside jokes in there including yang's puns which is referencing the voice actor. Anyway the best girl is of course weiss.

Oh god Barbara.....