Cheers!

-Flashback-

hey everyone! I am 22 years old, I live in China now (but originally from Portugal) and I joined this forum because I am looking forward to discuss about the visual novels that I've played and I liked as well as those that I didn't like.

I especially like the style of the visual novels that came out in the 1990s and early 2000s such as Welcome to Pia Carrot! (Took me forever to get it to work in the PC-FX emulator!!), Season of the Sakura and True Love. I like simplicity above all.

As for anime, I like comedy anime series. Series with no point at all other than making you laugh. Usually, the sillier the better. Good examples of this are Lucky Star, Azumanga Daioh, Kochikame and Excel Saga.

I'm not a big fan of the Harem kind because sometimes the girl that the main character chooses to be his girlfriend (or whatever) in the end makes me wanna punch a snake in the balls.
That's why I play the visual novels based on Harem animes. So that I can do the ending right ;)

hmmm I think that's it. I hope I can contribute positively to this forum!

I'm not a big fan of the Harem kind because sometimes the girl that the main character chooses to be his girlfriend (or whatever) in the end makes me wanna punch a snake in the balls.

Welcome, comrade, to the fuwa forums! Yup, most protags in harem anime are oblivious by nature. Also, how do snakes reproduce?

Nice to meet you,

I also like the style of the older titles (sometimes) esp. if they remind me of period anime.

Haven't gotten to play most of them, but I'm familiar with the ones you just mentioned.  None of those are true visual novels, they all have some sort of game mechanic to them I think...which is fine by me, I like sim/adventure games too

Thanks for all the warm welcomes everyone!

By the way, what got you interested in visual novels?

Well, it's a funny story. I first got into Visual Novels when I played a Date Sim flash game about the world of Evangelion that I found on newgrounds.com. that was around 2007!

here is the link:

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/117511  (18+)

I liked the idea of being the one in control of my character and make the choices for him and having many different stories, paths and ending based on my choices. So I looked more into it and I started playing some Visual Novels.

None of those are true visual novels, they all have some sort of game mechanic to them I think...which is fine by me, I like sim/adventure games too

Really? I thought all date sim games were in a way Visual Novels. What is a "true" VN then?

Ello and welcome, please do not forget your required reading of Muv Luv Alternative

I looked into it and it sounds like the kind I would enjoy  ;)

Thanks for all the warm welcomes everyone!

Really? I thought all date sim games were in a way Visual Novels. What is a "true" VN then?

Well they're often similar, and they both can have story text, sure.  But I figure that a true VN doesn't have any player stats or heroine mood meters or item inventories or player commands like look/get/use/drop type commands etc.  It's the kind where you just click to read text and the only thing you have control over is making occasional decisions on what your character does to set some flags in order to branch the story.  If it has the other stuff then I call it a sim-type game instead.

hey everyone! I am 22 years old, I live in China now (but originally from Portugal) and I joined this forum because I am looking forward to discuss about the visual novels that I've played and I liked as well as those that I didn't like.

I especially like the style of the visual novels that came out in the 1990s and early 2000s such as Welcome to Pia Carrot! (Took me forever to get it to work in the PC-FX emulator!!), Season of the Sakura and True Love. I like simplicity above all.

As for anime, I like comedy anime series. Series with no point at all other than making you laugh. Usually, the sillier the better. Good examples of this are Lucky Star, Azumanga Daioh, Kochikame and Excel Saga.

That's why I play the visual novels based on Harem animes. So that I can do the ending right ;)

hmmm I think that's it. I hope I can contribute positively to this forum!

What's worse is when NONE of the characters are chosen by the end. 

Welcome to the forums, sir!

Well they're often similar, and they both can have story text, sure.  But I figure that a true VN doesn't have any player stats or heroine mood meters or item inventories or player commands like look/get/use/drop type commands etc.  It's the kind where you just click to read text and the only thing you have control over is making occasional decisions on what your character does to set some flags in order to branch the story.  If it has the other stuff then I call it a sim-type game instead.

Well, I see then. Thanks! I think I prefer more interaction.

And thanks again, everyone

• 2 weeks later...