Have you ever wondered how some character names are thought of?

Chewy

because the japanese can't into english of course. Also if it sounds cool to the Japanese it really doesn't matter if it's ridiculous in English, because again the Japanese can't into English.

A thread on significant names would be more interesting, like how 名雪 in Kanon keeps asking protag-kun to remember her name and stuff

Are you talking about when anime try to come up with a name that's more common in other regions and it doesn't sound as good?

I'm still not sure I follow.

Well wen u get some name in japanese and they attempt to make it sound cool and exotic either makin long aas names or try to use English and it completely backfires and u wonder y the hell did they use such a dumb name

because the japanese can't into english of course. Also if it sounds cool to the Japanese it really doesn't matter if it's ridiculous in English, because again the Japanese can't into English.

A thread on significant names would be more interesting, like how 名雪 in Kanon keeps asking protag-kun to remember her name and stuff

but still u also got the superbly long jap names dat r meant to enhance how cool they sond but come out as tongue tsisters and have a more negative effect

As long as it sounds cool to the Japanese like Zaka said, it doesn't matter how it sounds to us, it's a different culture with different tastes, obviously we'll find some names weird, hell when was the last time where we didn't find something in japan weird.

I kind of gave up with criticizing character names when I found a character named Unko (運子) 

I'll even give you a reverse prespective

Do you think Ash Ketchum (Pokemon) sounds cool to the japanese?

Probably doesn't.

And if you didn't know the protagonist from Pokemon is called Satoshi, wonder if they decided to keep Satoshi in the english version.

As long as it sounds cool to the Japanese like Zaka said, it doesn't matter how it sounds to us, it's a different culture with different tastes, obviously we'll find some names weird, hell when was the last time where we didn't find something in japan weird.

I kind of gave up with criticizing character names when I found a character named Unko (運子) 

Probably doesn't.

And if you didn't know the protagonist from Pokemon is called Satoshi, wonder if they decided to keep Satoshi in the english version.

Guess that kinda makes some sense

I'm not sure what you mean...some Japanese names will always sound weird to an foreign audience, however, that doesnt matter, their market lies in Japan itself, If the Japanese themselves think these names are "uncool" then they probably got a problem, but hey, what do I know right?

yea smthin like dat

Probably doesn't.

In French Ash is called Sacha, i think for Pokémon they adapted main protag's name to every country.

There are names that make me cringe, yes.

Let's look at this way. In English they use some very weird Japanese words and phrases for art (tattoos, billboards etc.) . As long as the Kanji looks cool to a non-Japanese speaker, it doesn't matter what it means in Japanese. As far as naming wise, at least the Japanese try to get creative. In English, you get some generic Japanese name (that's been recycled over and over again in movies) for key Japanese roles. 

The Japanese's naming sense also allows for a unique purpose I'm sure is intentional. When looking up these names, you're going to be able to find these characters easier than a generic name like Casey Jones. The name gets perverted into Cassitia Jonuri or something.

There are names that make me cringe, yes.

Let's look at this way. In English they use some very weird Japanese words and phrases for art (tattoos, billboards etc.) . As long as the Kanji looks cool to a non-Japanese speaker, it doesn't matter what it means in Japanese. As far as naming wise, at least the Japanese try to get creative. In English, you get some generic Japanese name (that's been recycled over and over again in movies) for key Japanese roles. 

im half chinese so kanji just gives me headaches

im half chinese so kanji just gives me headaches

well full chinese but australian born so yea

You didn't know? They make references to this a lot of times in anime.

In fact a big reason why the characters' blood type is revealed is due to this.

Kind of an aside but since we're talking about qualities of designing characters I thought this was pretty cool.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_types_in_Japanese_culture

yea for examples our everyday tsunderes r B which is mentioned a lot in many animes and manga and the like

Yea, one of the things I missed all these years XD. Now I kind of want to make a poll of this and see if people think its accurate.

and then there r ppl like me who just forget their blood type or dont noe it in the first place coz always forget to check or ask

And i think some characters in Pokémon have different names given the contry.

For example, in France localisation, Misty is called Ondine.

i guess its just for ease of pronunciation or smthin like that

In French Ash is called Sacha, i think for Pokémon they adapted main protag's name to every country.

And even more perspective: Germans, who are about as obsessed with English (and to an equal extent German) as the Japanese, just kept the name Ash Ketchum.

Also: You can edit your messages, please make use of it. Seeing all those double posts makes me cringe harder than some of the ridiculous English character names and German cantations in anime.

And even more perspective: Germans, who are about as obsessed with English (and to an equal extent German) as the Japanese, just kept the name Ash Ketchum.

Also: You can edit your messages, please make use of it. Seeing all those double posts makes me cringe harder than some of the ridiculous English character names and German cantations in anime.

there is smthin called cbb

also one of my many interests is trollin and makin ppl cringe falls under that category do here is more