What do you think about artstyles?

Wintersami

Visual Novel a.k.a VN, emphatise on visual. In my opinion art in VN is the most important, of course you don't want your eyes to bleed for enduring hideous art right? but then again, judging only by cover isn't always best, in that horrible art could be hidden story that would amaze you so everything is worth a chance I guess.

I consider art important (I have a lot of VN artists that I follow)

But having bad art isn't a deal breaker for me. I still loved Little Busters, which had awkward porportions. I don't think I've ever read a Vn with such bad art I couldn't keep reading.

What it really means that I probably play a VN if one of my favorite artists worked on it :P

34fefcp.jpg

Here's one of my favorite artists, Izumi Tsubasu and her work in SakuSaku. Beautiful, isn't it? She's also worked on Mashiroiro Symphony.

I consider art important (I have a lot of VN artists that I follow)

But having bad art isn't a deal breaker for me. I still loved Little Busters, which had awkward porportions. I don't think I've ever read a Vn with such bad art I couldn't keep reading.

What it really means that I probably play a VN if one of my favorite artists worked on it :P

34fefcp.jpg

Here's one of my favorite artists, Izumi Tsubasu and her work in SakuSaku. Beautiful, isn't it? She's also worked on Mashiroiro Symphony.

Oh god, yes. Exactly. I have Palette's stuff on my backlog to read too. The art is amazing there too.

I must have pretty low standards, since I found Steins;Gate artstyle absolutely gorgeous. In fact, it`s what called my attention before anything else since it starts so slow. Right, the eyes are pretty weird. It was strange looking into the characters` eyes. But I got used to that.

But...but..i love Steins:gate arts.... the uniqueness is one of the reason why i love it so much

its okay buddy...i`m with you

have a chips

4e16e9fd23.jpg

Long,smooth hairstyle and ponytail are my favorites too.

And never forget this "thing"  :

Happy_miki.JPG

Uugggghh, Muv Luv Hair.  It's kind of hard to take MLU and MLA seriously when hair like that is constantly around. You can tell that Age kind of regret their original character designs. Every single new character introduced in MLA and subsequent games have totally reasonable hair and character designs. 

Uugggghh, Muv Luv Hair. It's kind of hard to take MLU and MLA seriously when hair like that is constantly around. You can tell that Age kind of regret their original character designs. Every single new character introduced in MLA and subsequent games have totally reasonable hair and character designs.

When unit 01 was first introduced to us, I thought what beautiful heads they had. I looked back at the original cast and shook my head in shame for them.

Uugggghh, Muv Luv Hair.  It's kind of hard to take MLU and MLA seriously when hair like that is constantly around. You can tell that Age kind of regret their original character designs. Every single new character introduced in MLA and subsequent games have totally reasonable hair and character designs. 

Definitely.

Even Kei's hair is pretty ridiculous.

Still, I liked Genjousai's moustache.

That thing could've annihilated the BETA single-handedly. :lol:

Shame they retconned it in the Unlimited universe.

Yeah. Its pretty weird to look at. At least its unique?

I think artstyles are important. Especially if the game is trying to build a unique atmosphere, artstyle (and music) can make or break a VN.

Particular bits of art I liked(contains actual spoilers):

Remember11:

Utsumi Kali's sprite was great in my opinion. It both gives off a motherly, warm affection and has an air of disconnection. Her eyes, especially, never look like they focus on anything, and (there is a reason this is in a spoiler tag you know) it fits well with her madder side later in the VN.

Also, Kokoro is quite cute, but maybe that's just me.

Steins; Gate:

Mayuri's "Stardust Handshake" really looks wonderful, it is as if she gazes into infinity itself.

Also, the moment Nae pushes Mayuri under the subway is unforgettable- her expression and the "moment" itself is perfect.

Ever17: 

Sora. She is just gorgeous <3

Danganronpa:

Well, the moment when the cam sometimes zooms on Monokuma's angry face shows how evil he actually is. There are other moments as well(like the murder discover scenes) but this one stands out the most to me.

Umineko:

If you read the VN, you know that putting all specific examples here would take a few pages. So, here it goes:

1) Paintings. They are a unique art style in a unique art style.

2) Witches. They are really well-drawn.

3) Some sprites are simply gorgeous (cannot remember which.)

4) Any and all "surreal" CG's.

but then again, judging only by cover isn't always best, in that horrible art could be hidden story that would amaze you so everything is worth a chance I guess.

There is a reason I dont have any plan to try out Clannad despite the fact that people exalt it to the sky. THAT ART.

I've recently discovered that art style and character design can play a significant role in VNs.

I'm playing Air right now; so far i'm liking that story, characters and music, but the character designs are a little off (there just seems to be too big a gap between the mouth and the chin).

Art style? I gotta give it to Shikkoku no Sharnoth (What a Beautiful Tomorrow). The art is beautiful and so different from what I have seen. Anyone care to name it for me?

Sharnoth's art is fantastic. I like Liar-Soft's art in general. They run the gamut of art styles, changing things up from game to game, but they're always different from what everyone else is doing. Unfortunately, the one MG is bringing over has the most mundane art style, but it still looks pretty good.