i'm on a dilemma

fkuman

Hello internauts, long time lurker first time poster here.

I've come to this humble forum looking for guidance. But first a little background.

I'm one of those guys who knew nothing about the "visual novel" genre until word of Katawa Shoujo was spammed into my computer's screen. I played it, i enjoyed it, and went looking for more.

Several games were recommendated by some friends on those awkward moments when talking about anime and stuff, and because of it i've had some really good experiences while reading something! (crazy, i know rite?). Thing is after reading one great VN in each sub-genre (that i consider worth of my time) i've come to the point i have not much to dive in to.... pretty much because the Muv-Luv trilogy was too good, and it totally set the bar too high for me to enjoy anything else...  i'll post some of the VN's i've read so you can get in context.

-Muv-Luv and Demonbane destoyed the sci fi aspect for me.

-Clannad and Kanon did a good job trying to make me feel something.

-Kira Kira, deardrops and Quartet because... idk, music, feels, stuff.

-G Senjou because is the Death Note of the VN's.

-Monster girl Quest, Kamidori Alchemy Meister and Utawarerumono because of the RPG gameplay aspect.

-Anything translated from Type-Moon

-Dengeky Stryker, because i became a sucker for nitro+ artwork. (yeah right nasty boy)

-Yume Miru Kusuri. 

and i'm getting Kara no shoujo and Saya no Uta. But beside those 2 who seem to be good, anything else i should be looking for?  (i've read the recommendation lists, but maybe a little more of background could help to decide which one to get next, a personal opinion would be good.)

I like dark atmospheres, Mystery, and the total oposite, action, mechas, fights etc. I don't care if the games contain adult content, or none at all as long as it is good enough to tell a good story. 

PD: sorry if i made some,any English mistakes, you know the drill, non native speaker. And Thanks for reading.

I like dark atmospheres, Mystery, and the total oposite, action, mechas, fights etc. I don't care if the games contain adult content, or none at all as long as it is good enough to tell a good story. 

Try fate/stay night. It fits the criteria except for the mecha. Rewrite is also a surprisingly dark story with action(?) after you reach the true route but it takes a while to reach that point.

EDIT: Didn't read the part about everything from type moon sorry.

Don't worry, there are still quite a few good VNs to read.

If you want more VNs that try to make you feel something, try Key's Air, Planetarian, Little Busters and Rewrite, as well as Kogado's Symphonic Rain.

If not, there's also something for dark and mystery - Higurashi no Naku Koro ni followed by Umineko no Naku Koro ni. Both have a graphics patch, so don't skip them just because their original graphics aren't that good.

Sharin no Kuni is made by the same company as G-Senjou no Maou, give that a try.

Cross Channel and Grisaia are somewhat similar in that both have you go to a school for people who don't fit into society, and both can get pretty dark. Definitely worth a read.

Ever17 is a really good VN with mystery elements, and I often like to call Steins;Gate its spiritual successor because both mind fuck you pretty hard. There's also a sort of prequel to Steins;Gate called Chaos;Head, but I personally didn't like it too much and it's not necessary to understand S;G.

Welcome to Fuwa! Have a loli:

cc0f1cbe1b1f4a89628f7a3fbbe558395e26fdcb

Yeah, I STRONGLY recommend you read Umineko no Naku Koro ni, and read it with a open mind, if you don't want your mind screwed.

Hope you have fun and I'll see you around.

Everyone is a potential lolicon, no exceptions. Once you embrace that potential, you'll be above human. That said, consider joining our ranks.

Photochop_zps5c76baae.jpg

EDIT:..................

This is not a introduction thread.... OH GOD I'M SO SORRY. I'M SO STUPID.

any context? should i play the 2 games before this one? or this one stands for itself?

There are technically 4 games: Higurashi, Higurashi Kai, Umineko, and Umineko Chiru. You need to read Higurashi before reading Higurashi Kai and you need to read Umineko before you read Umineko Chiru, but the order you do Higurashi and Umineko in doesn't matter. You'll catch a few references and possibly enjoy Umineko more if you read Higurashi first, but it's not the end of the world if you start with Umineko.

Tecnically, Higurashi and Umineko jjust have one character in common, but even that doesn't matter storywise. Like Flutterz said, you have Higurashi before, but I think Umineko is way better and more mind blowing~

Umineko happens in an island, in the middle of a storm, and a 19 members family is trapped with a so called Witch, that says she's going to kill them all =P

You can expect everything - good everything - from that novel, such as romance, death, drama, more deaths, and the best characters from VN's world.

Umineko: Feels/gore/backstory/ OST train. Everyone loves it (except me and a few other people).

I have not read Muv-Luv (Windows 8 YAAAAAY  <_< ) but Steins; Gate is a must-read for any person.

Also, Zero Escape series (999 and Virtue's Last Reward). You'll need a 3DS or a Vita for VLR, but a DS emulator for 999 at worst (and READ 999 FIRST, I cannot stress it enough.)

Oh, and when you are ready for untranslated games, come to me. 

I don't think i could ever read Japanese....

You should check out Kikokugai - The Cyber Slayer if you haven't done so already.

Darker than both Kara no Shoujo and Saya no Uta combined.

Right up there with Berserk as far as revenge stories go.

actually revenge also interests me, considering that i'm reading the Berserk manga because the anime made me rock hard. I salute you.

Remember 11 is sci-fi, mystery and has a pretty dark atmosphere, I think you'd like it. Ever 17 is better, though the atmosphere isn't that dark (even if the characters are in a pretty dire situation)

If you like action, Hanachirasu and Kikokugai are pretty good. Both feature revenge as a motivation for the plot.

Remember 11 is sci-fi, mystery and has a pretty dark atmosphere, I think you'd like it. Ever 17 is better, though the atmosphere isn't that dark (even if the characters are in a pretty dire situation)

If you like action, Hanachirasu and Kikokugai are pretty good. Both feature revenge as a motivation for the plot.

Thanks dude, also thanks everyone for the recommendations, a few minutes of every game showed me that i'll be liking those you all mentioned.