What do you think should be the role of a moderator?

Dark Ariel7

In a forum or website in general what do you think is the amount of proactivity that a moderator should have? I mean I think we have all had experiences with mods on random websites that we think are abusive. 

Or I guess another similar question is how would you run a website if you were a moderator? Ban every other person? Close threads left and right? Big brother every post? Or would you be more of a "NSFW? No problem." type of moderator?

Also please don't sling mud at anyone in particular. Just general statements are more than fine. 

Just as a side note. I actually, so far, like every admin from this site. They are usually pretty cool. They even let us Majikoi guys keep our completely random thread open under games and chatter.

Moderators are people just like you, we're not better than you in any way, the role of a moderator is simply to moderate, to make sure things don't go out of control, that's really all there is. Of course sometimes opinions are bound to clash, but a good moderator will discuss it, a bad one will use power in their favor.

There's really not much more to say on my part.

As a moderator myself i've always tried not to abuse power and only do things when staff is called to intervene or when i see something clearly wrong going on. That's my way of thinking at least.

For example i locked your thread earlier on because it was reported and i thought it made sense for the traffic of that thread to be redirected. But Tay thought otherwise and he explained why and unlocked it. This shows my decision wasn't the best, i make mistakes too~

Moderators are people just like you, we're not better than you in any way, the role of a moderator is simply to moderate, to make sure things don't go out of control, that's really all there is. Of course sometimes opinions are bound to clash, but a good moderator will discuss it, a bad one will use power in their favor.

There's really not much more to say on my part.

As a moderator myself i've always tried not to abuse power and only do things when staff is called to intervene or when i see something clearly wrong going on. That's my way of thinking at least.

For example i locked your thread earlier on because it was reported and i thought it made sense for the traffic of that thread to be redirected. But Tay thought otherwise and he explained why and unlocked it. This shows my decision wasn't the best, i make mistakes too~

I didn't really mind as I saw the logic behind it. I did think it was kinda funny though.

I guess the question should be better phrased so that it refers to the rules of a site rather than the moderators. I just associate the two so to me they meant the same thing. 

Also as a side note, I find that most people actually hate guys that enforce the rules to the letter and seem to prefer people that use them as guidelines.

The role of the moderator is to lead the weak sheep of the flock to green pastures. They are the shepherds that guide us mere, insignificant lambs to safety and way from the horrors of the outside world while still giving us the illusion of freedom when in reality, we are merely bending to the ulterior motives. 

You've seemed that way ever since I saw your Grisaia thread.

So you watch me? 

And no, I'm not bitter. I simply don't filter myself anymore. Back to the point

Super Serious Answer: The mods are here to keep order and make sure the day to day operations run smoothly and without incident. They also give input on policy changes and what not. I would like to see them get meaner and stricter on things, but it simply wont happen. 

So you watch me? 

And no, I'm not bitter. I simply don't filter myself anymore. Back to the point

Super Serious Answer: The mods are here to keep order and make sure the day to day operations run smoothly and without incident. They also give input on policy changes and what not. I would like to see them get meaner and stricter on things, but it simply wont happen. 

I see you around the forums. Why would I follow you?

Or I guess another similar question is how would you run a website if you were a moderator? Ban every other person? Close threads left and right? Big brother every post? Or would you be more of a "NSFW? No problem." type of moderator?

It truly depends on the purpose of a specific forum.

For example, forums for the purpose of orderly discussion and information should be moderated as if it was under fascist rule. Strict enforcement of rules with merciless punishment. Of course, warnings should be given before any major penalties.

For forums made for the purpose of idle yet serious conversation, a sort of pseudocommunist rule should be implemented. Everyone should be treated equally, and punishments shouldn't be as heavy as most serious forums.

Forums created for the purpose of weird and random topics shouldn't have any major rules in them, though they must be moderated to an extent. It should be slightly democratic in nature, with moderators serving as a sort of watchmen. Punishments shouldn't be charged unless it violates overall rules such as user-user interaction and spam rules.

That's what I think, at least. It's easier to implement despotic totalitarianism than pseudodemocratic despotism. It's a forum. People's rights and lives aren't at stake here. This type of governance could work theoretically.

Moderators use their power and influence to help a forum/community stay true to its ideology.

Depends on the website. A certain forum I visit tries to create a pub like atmosphere, so obviously the rules there concerning profanity and abuse would be a lot more lenient than on here, a community which emphasises inclusivity and tolerance.

Guest sakanaとkoeda

Shinigami...? (Death Note comes to mind)

or

Maybe armor-clad heroes of justice wielding ban hammers in one hand and an iron-fist of friendship in the other.

I am a mod on another site (my guild) we have around 500 members so its not like a huge group or any thing. My job is to manily make sure no one is breaking the set rules such as harrasing aother person or people arnt posting threads in the wrong place. I dont come in and ban hammer people becouse i dont like some thing they said even if its about me.

Fuwanovel has always tried to be a friendly place so we don't try to enforce the rules onto everyone because we trust that our userbase can keep their composure. In fact this is what happens most of the time.

So I don't believe in a dictatorship kind of mindset.

We're here to make sure things stay stable, if they go out of control we'll intervene, but there's no need to constantly make sure and remind everyone of the rules like we're constantly stalking users and are ready to bite or something.

Moderate the forums. Isn't it obvious?

/Thread

Hmm. I would probably make a pretty crappy mod then. All I would probably ever do is step in when it gets way too childish. Like a whole page of insults back and forth thing. Other than that I would silently observe and judge(much like I do now.)

Basically what the mods here do. You'd be perfect.