Virtual reality going in the right direction

Xypers

Many people are improving the games for the oculus rift which is always good to see. :) People are also making stuff that go with the oculus rift which is also good to see. The control VR is a good one. All the info and videos are in this link below. 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/controlvr/control-vr-motion-capture-for-vr-animation-and-mor

There is also the treadmill and the hamster wheel to induce leg movement with the oculus so it's promising.

http://www.virtuix.com/

Stuff like the oculus rift have always been a step in the right direction and it can only go up from here.

It'd be nice if one day a device was built that would give you a full immersion into a virtual world. Meaning all your 5 senses are being reproduced inside the game, not just sight which is the one that's obviously being focused on right now.

Maybe one day.

Also was that first guy trying to see under her skirt?

Periferals are not exactly what i'm referring to.

Periferals require one to be conscious and require physical effort.

I'm talking about real full fledged virtual reproduction of your 5 senses in your mind. If i were to put it better, your physical body would be kind of in a coma state but your mind is connected to the game and reproducing an entire virtual world where all your 5 senses work and you feel alive in it pretty much. That is a perfect virtual world.

That's the kind of virtual reality i hope one day we can achieve.

This is as brilliant as it is scary though.

For a perfect reference of what i'm talking about you should watch the movie ExixtenZ, it deals with the subject of virtual reality and gaming in a brilliant way.

We are going down the right path but I don't think we will achieve Virtual Reality as a whole in even 2 centuries time.

The best thing I can hope to see in my lifetime is just a gaming experience where I can use most of my senses.

I don't think we can achieve anything higher than that in our lifetime but still that would be cool in its own way.

Well I hate how some people think VR can make you forget about real life(yeah yea this is how VR is thought of in many places, I don't really know if they , as I thought in the beginning, mean it as a joke or they mean it as they are serious), it is not like playing your mmo character in a different way than now would make you change your life style, you will still have to get out of home , work and shit like that.

we are getting closer and closer to this concept also, but its gonna be mostly for medical use for a long time because i'm pretty sure that a permanent implant would be necessary (kinda like matrix).

for it to become mainstream we'll have to wait until some kind of wireless computer-brain interface

i guess we are talking at least 10-50 years

I am kinda curious how you think this is important for medical use? O_O

look at the progress we made in the past 50 years, do you really think it'll take 200 years? our technological advancements are even speeding up thanks to the internet, the only thing that can slow us down is a third World War, and even then something good might come out of it (let's not forget how internet was created)

Yeah that's what I think ... yeah the advancement was great in the last 50 years

But I don't think we will be able to make a perfect Virtual Reality World in that short of a time

especially imo that , unlike the other fields of science, I don't think HUMANITY needs something like that these days unless you are talking about profits ..... I still think the VR system with our 5 senses being gone to another place using a small device is so out of our reach. It needs years to get proven as a theory ... and more years to be conducted as inventions.

And well even thou they might not say it , people of the last century usually pondered about life in this century with us transporting in flying vehicles and living on other planets. Yeah we reached things that are close to that but we couldn't achieve it. So I think we might achieve something using some of our senses and not something using all of our 5 senses through a small device like a nerve gear. 

We are going down the right path but I don't think we will achieve Virtual Reality as a whole in even 2 centuries time.

The best thing I can hope to see in my lifetime is just a gaming experience where I can use most of my senses.

I don't think we can achieve anything higher than that in our lifetime but still that would be cool in its own way.

Well I hate how some people think VR can make you forget about real life(yeah yea this is how VR is thought of in many places, I don't really know if they , as I thought in the beginning, mean it as a joke or they mean it as they are serious), it is not like playing your mmo character in a different way than now would make you change your life style, you will still have to get out of home , work and shit like that.

NEETs, Hikikomori, even now we have people who completely changed their life because of games and even now it is possible to live a whole life without going out of the house thanks to online jobs and online orders/markets. So yea imagine what will be like when we get an actual VR worlds with senses and all. 

Using Oculus Rift for games like those is a waste of technological potential. There are far better projects already in the development, Morpheus being only one of them.

The point of OR is to encourage both users and developers alike to increase their interest for VR. Low price is one of the major factors, which will play a huge role in it's distribution in the near future.

for instance there are people who can't move a finger who spend their lives in a bed, VR would be great for them, also it would be used to cure phantom limb pain for example, there are people with amputated limbs who still feel like they have them, and they are in eternal pain...you could cure various forms of phobias, like the fear of height, it could be used for people with compulsory eating disorders so that they can eat as much as they want in VR without dying of heart attack in reality (murica will invest a lot into this imho).

There are a lot of applications, more than you can imagine, and more of them will present along the road

I couldn't even name one >.>

NEETs, Hikikomori, even now we have people who completely changed their life because of games and even now it is possible to live a whole life without going out of the house thanks to online jobs and online orders/markets. So yea imagine what will be like when we get an actual VR worlds with senses and all. 

Then I can safely look at VR in a negative view.

Since Neets, Hikikomori and other similar kinds of people are a negative incident in our society (even thou I am one of them) so increasing the number of such people is wrong... totally wrong.

Ok Joke over.

It will be painful if we didn't care about the real world because of a virtual world which runs on the real world resources.

And I don't think we should be happy about that happening .... as much as it is something that has spreading on the internet, Shut-ins will still be a negative life style that we need to leave. 

It will be painful if we didn't care about the real world because of a virtual world which runs on the real world resources.

Simple solution. All who want to live in a separate virtual world shall have their bodies plugged in massive machines, converting their biological energy into usable power.