What's the oldest anime you've seen (and liked?)

zoom909

I'm one of those spoiled kids who prefer newer anime with good animation as opposed to older anime

D=

In the 90s, cel animation was at its peak. There were some anime in this period with animation beating 99% of today's anime easily. Animation does not get objectively better with time, unless you're watching 70s stuff. Only the techniques change (and I find cel animation infinitely better than that fluid yet ugly 3D we see more and more). Today's techniques make it so that a poorly animated show will seem less terrible than an 80s or 90s poorly animated anime, but when you compare the peaks it's comparable and sometimes in favor of older stuff (mostly because of time, money and skilled people factors).

Usually, people who dislike older anime do so because of the designs, or the fact that recurring themes and such were quite different, which is understandable.

D=

In the 90s, cel animation was at its peak. There were some anime in this period with animation beating 99% of today's anime easily. Animation does not get objectively better with time, unless you're watching 70s stuff. Only the techniques change (and I find cel animation infinitely better than that fluid yet ugly 3D we see more and more). Today's techniques make it so that a poorly animated show will seem less terrible than an 80s or 90s poorly animated anime, but when you compare the peaks it's comparable and sometimes in favor of older stuff (mostly because of time, money and skilled people factors).

Hah... 'Better' was subjective in the context of my post, actually. By 'better,' I really meant 'sleeker, smoother, less grainy.' That kind of stuff. Plainer too, I guess.

Hah... 'Better' was subjective in the context of my post, actually. By 'better,' I really meant 'sleeker, smoother, less grainy.' That kind of stuff. Plainer too, I guess.

Yeah, that's what I said: it's mainly about design, colors. Not the actual animation, as in the way movement is depicted (fluidity, sensation of weight, sensation of speed...). As I said it's totally understandable when it comes to design, that's kinda subjective after all. But I always feel the need to rant a bit when I see people saying that old anime has bad animation.

I'm pretty sure I saw a chunk of the original Astro Boy a long time back, but for safety purposes I'll have to say Dragon Ball.

It takes me back to a funny moment back in my Xbox Live Party when someone argued with me saying "Dragon Ball" wasn't anime and I was stupid for thinking it was.

On Topic: I like old and new anime. I can understand why people may dislike old anime, but you're missing some great adventures.

For me it's probably Galaxy Express 999, followed shortly by Mobile Suit Gundam.

I don't really get the debate about older vs newer anime. I mean, maybe I could see it being an issue of resolution, but I would pit the action/animation of Zeta Gundam against just about any other mecha series. Newer series might do things a bit differently, but I don't think I could claim they did them better.

I could also see people not liking certain art styles, but I don't think that's really a time issue.

I don't really get the debate about older vs newer anime. I mean, maybe I could see it being an issue of resolution, but I would pit the action/animation of Zeta Gundam against just about any other mecha series. Newer series might do things a bit differently, but I don't think I could claim they did them better.

It's not really a matter of debate as it is a matter of taste, like preferences of food, if you will. Just because I objectively find Legend of Galactic Heroes a much better story than say, Gurren Lagann, it doesn't mean I'll enjoy it due to my tastes in anime. The same could be said for the video resolution and character designs. I'm more superficial that way, so I find it difficult to enjoy an anime of which its graphics is inferior or low quality, despite having a much better story. If I'm in the mood for being 'intellectual' or whatnot, then perhaps I would settle for the better story. When it's during casual times, however, I'll just go for the one I could enjoy and relax with.

Of course, the subject of anime with low graphics quality is hardly a problem with modern day anime than it was with anime before the 2000s.

Does Akira count? If so Akira is one of my favorite movies. If not then Sailor Moon ^^

Personally, I thought Akira was terrible (7 of my friends watched it at the same time, no one liked it), but I've heard many people like it.

For me, Trigun, Trigun was excellent.  

I'm another newer anime fan, but I have seen a large number of anime, though an overwelming number of them were made after 2007. Of the handful I've seen before 2005, the oldest was Chobits in 2002 which I liked, and then Gunslinger Girl in 2003 which was good as well.

Where I grew up I didn't have any strictly anime channels (or at least if I did, I wasn't aware of them), so my choices were limited to what played on Toonami.

I will always love Yu Yu Hakusho. I didn't do "kamehameha's" on the playground, I tried using the Spirit Gun. Like a boss.

the very first two animes experiences I had were actually incredible memorable, it kinda set the score for me to turn into a fan. When I was just a kid my brother brought home two VHS one was Record of Lodoss War and the other was Akira, that was just amazing insta fanatic.

Right now im at the age when I say "You know, in my time things were better." so I quite like older animes, specially if you are talking about the art.

Where I grew up I didn't have any strictly anime channels (or at least if I did, I wasn't aware of them), so my choices were limited to what played on Toonami.

I will always love Yu Yu Hakusho. I didn't do "kamehameha's" on the playground, I tried using the Spirit Gun. Like a boss.

I did neither. I was always trying to "Sonic Boom" my way through the crowds at the playground.

Oldest one for me was probably Chōdenji Machine Voltes V (1977-1978), but the ones I really enjoyed were those old shoujo flicks like Kare Kano (1998-1999). And for those who enjoy old anime, kudos to yall ;)

And there is random bunch of old anime movies that I can't even name, but those were English originals that you know... didn't quite hit home. 

Cheers

I find cel animation infinitely better than that fluid yet ugly 3D we see more and more

^ I agree with this I love good cell animation. My favorite time period of anime is from the mid to late 90's to mid 00's. 

The oldest anime I watched also happens to be one of my favorite anime and that is Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Which started airing in 1988. However other than this I have not watched many pre 90's anime, but I do have several that I've been meaning to watch, such as: The Rose of Versailles, Galaxy Express 999, and Area 88. The Rose of Versailles in particular I want to start since I love the French Revolution, I just need to push myself to do it. 

I guess Grave of the Fireflies. We watched it in class, probably around 6 years ago, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. It was also most likely the first anime I watched knowing what anime is - I had no idea what anime was when I watched DBZ and Cardcaptor Sakura on TV when I was 8.