Exogenesis Kickstarter - A post apocalyptic interactive visual novel

Nosebleed

I'm not a fan of adventure games trying to label themselves as visual novels, nor am I a fan of completely "westernized" visual novels and neither am I a fan of the copypasted, weeaboo pandering crap certain groups are currently trying to create. Don't get me wrong, though; I still think they are needed, have their own merits and purpose. But the sole fact people don't learn from the mistakes left by previous groups is more than enough to rest reassured nothing will change.

I while ago I completely lost my interest in the western visual novel development community, simply because those people are blind in the same exact manner the japanese devs are unable to grasp the modern age and adjust to it; they don't see the potential and they are way too afraid to move out of the safe zones and cope with the issues.

I've seen a lot of people eager to bring visual novels to the west and talking about how important they are in the history of computer entertainment; going out on crusades, trying to accustom western community, fighting the annoyances, luring the fanbase and trying to get their own piece of cake for themselves; they all failed. It's because of a very simple factor - western community isn't ready to accept visual novels the way thy are, there's still a long way to go. And worst of all, they aren't even trying to make anything better for themselves. I won't go lightly on anyone that actually wants to take a chance and at the same time, try to avoid the responsibilities that come with it.

That definately killed the thread. Truth hurts, eh?

I could go on for hours about the subject. Don't see a reason though, when people cover their ears.

I can only wish you luck and hope you won't regret it later.

It's not really a truth hurts kind of thing. For us, it's "you can't please everybody." For everyone else, I suppose you just left the thread at an awkward note or no one had anything to say. Anyway, you are entitled to your opinion. People who've found Ace Attorney and Zero Escape games as visual novels with adventure game elements are entitled to theirs, too. :)

I hope you're not referring to Exogenesis as copy-pasted. If you are, I'd love to be enlightened, so you can try our demo and tell me what exactly we copy-pasted from.  ;)

Well I pledged $20 today, hopefully that resurrects the thread.  :P

Thanks! Please spread the word, too!

They are not taking in any criticism, they are avoiding it.

You haven't even truly started and you're already making the most basic mistake, any western visual novel developer could make - copypasting a japanese viewpoint for a visual novel and expecting it to work flawlessly on the west. That is the sole reason for me to immediately cross out the whole project, no matter how good it might look; this is also the sole reason why more than 95% of similiar western visual novels fail and fall into obscurity without garnering much attention.

Your game might have decent art, might be voiced by a horrible english voice actors trying to mimic professional japanese seiyūs, might have a cast of your typical weeaboo pandering out-of-the-mill anime characters, including at least one gothic lolita, tsundere/yandere and a cool/donkan protagonist and perhaps some sort of a storyline that propably won't make any sense in the end, cause post-apocalyptic settings aren't just about making everything look cooler; you are propably going to avoid 18+ content as well, out of the obvious reasons.

You have something, that looks like your average japanese visual novel, just a few times meager and want to sell it to an average western consumer, who typically has few times bigger expectations than any average japanese otaku? "You can't please everybody", my ass. If that visual novel isn't adressed to me or similiar people, who's actually going to read it? Does your team actually understand the issues of the western market? You're going to take money, you're going the semi-professional way. Are you really prepared, or just a group of skilled people with way too much spare time on your hands? Trying to make an easy buck and both justify and submit to your otaku urges? I'm glad when people consume, re-create and produce, but production without much of a thought behind it is completely meaningless.

Unless you simply want the money, which is completely fine.

Serious question: are you angry they don't seems to have grasped the western audience when making their product, and thus haven't pandered to them appropriately?

Or perhaps that they are not recognizing the stagnant pool (objective lack of creativity, even lack of merit) that Japanese anime/VN's have entertained?

And what made you think so? What is the way they advertised? The VN itself having same old tropes? I haven't had a chance to play the game since the demo got taken down.

Serious question: are you angry they don't seems to have grasped the western audience when making their product, and thus haven't pandered to them appropriately?

Or perhaps that they are not recognizing the stagnant pool (objective lack of creativity, even lack of merit) that Japanese anime/VN's have entertained?

And what made you think so? What is the way they advertised? The VN itself having same old tropes? I haven't had a chance to play the game since the demo got taken down.

From my viewpoint, the dev team does not deserve the money they are getting; a lot more projects with a broader scope and depth were realized without any sort of third party financial help. If they have gotten so far, why would they suddenly need money now?

I am also one of the people, who believe they could make it a lot better; provided the money they are getting, rather than creating a story based on events and characters looking like they'd just been made up by an anime-struck grade schooler.

I'm interested in the mobiles ports as well. Specifically android although quite some Ren'Py ports I've tried were a bit buggy. But then again most of them were just direct ports from the PC version so hopefully this one is an actual proper port with tweaks to fit the mobile platform.

It's very close to making its stretch goal now.

I'm wondering whether I should pledge for a port to Vita.

Oh wait.. no Vita :( I was thinking of getting one though, is it really worth it to play Trigger Happy Havoc, etc?

It indeed is!

Though you might need to play indies/remakes/ports/old PSN games more than you expect since it lacks in exclusives, from what I can see as someone that wants one too.