Octopus appreciation thread

Zakamutt

Dear Octopus. I appreciate what you do for me. We know each other for quite some time now. The look in your eyes when the sexy waitress brought you to me. I saw your very soul. There was so much life and energy in you. You are dancing around in my plate so beautifuly. You may forever be a part of me. I shall digest you with love.

2zgz2up.jpg

The octopus ; plural: octopuses, octopi, or octopodes; is a cephalopod mollusc of the order Octopoda. Octopuses have two eyes and four pairs of arms and, like other cephalopods, they are bilaterally symmetric. An octopus has a hard beak, with its mouth at the center point of the arms. Octopuses have no internal or external skeleton (although some species have a vestigial remnant of a shell inside their mantles), allowing them to squeeze through tight places. Octopuses are among the most intelligent and behaviorally flexible of all invertebrates.

The tentacles actually taste pretty good when mixed in with rice, don't know about other parts though.

The rest of it is good too, it's just slightly tougher than the tentacles but edible, if you cook it properly it's not hard to eat, of course the tentacles are always the best part.

also very jealous of Nosebleed's wide range of tastes u.u

My range of tastes is not that wide, it just so happened that i enjoy seafood a lot.

And it also coincidentaly happened that octopus and squid are my favorite food and the dishes they go in are also among the ones i love the most. (But cooking them is a pain and has a 80% chance of failure since they both shrink a lot when you cook them and if not done properly they'll be tiny once you're done and you end up eating a kid's portion of a meal)

I'm actually very picky with food, i hate a ton of vegetables (not all!), and pork is one of the meats i most dislike to eat, unless in bacon form. (no not because of vegan attitude, i just dislike the taste/texture of it in most dishes)

So you could say i'm rather weird in comparison to the majority :P

Back on topic:

Did you know that both octopus and squids have three hearts? Those guys love you 3 times more! (not really)

As far as food goes:

The biggest downside to eating squid in my opinion is that the amount of dishes you can make with it is very limited and it usually ends up being enhanced with a lot of other stuff because of the small portion such as an obscene amount of rice with squid pieces in it. That's why in my opinion stuffed squid is the best way to appreciate the true value of a squid because you're actually eating the squid intact and using it as a main ingridient. And it's also my favorite way to eat squid.

But octopus wins in this category since it has a much wider range of dishes. You can put an octopus in the oven and it'll be delicious as opposed to a squid which is so thin it'd just turn into crisp in minutes.

Nonetheless they're both delicious in their own way and i'd recommend both to anyone.

And I see people forgetting one third octophod which is the Cuttlefish (don't know who thought this was a good name for a thing with tentacles) which can also be cooked very similar to a squid but has a much stronger flavor in my opinion and can be really good if cooked properly.